[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've got a bad feeling about the Super Bowl . . .

CaptainHook

Only way I'm considering going to a SB is my team is in it. And then when I look at the costs, I'm probably going to find better ways to spend my money.

People here are pretty much just complaining. I don't think anybody really expects the NFL to change things. But I'm still surprised after years of "No SB in cold weather cities" that places like DET, IND and NY are being given a SB, especially NY which will have to be played outdoors. Why not PIT, CLE, NE, CHI, etc? Why not MIN in the dome? Or Seattle?

SB XXVI was held in MN. Need a new stadium there for any future consideration.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say this as if it's a viable option for most people. It's sort of laughable to talk about the PBR-drinking, working-class fans actually being able to afford tickets. I can't imagine paying the equivalent of a Caribbean cruise or furnishings for a few rooms in my house for a 3-hour experience.

Actually, that's my point exactly.

Hell, even for those who could afford it, and technically I could if I really, really wanted to go, there's no way I'm laying out that kind of jack for the ticket alone plus airfare, hotel, and meals out.

So, I fit into what I would imagine is a pretty decent-sized group. Given the cost, I have no intention of going to the SB and will watch it every single year regardless of where they have it. Again, I would imagine most of us fit into that category. So, why should the NFL give two craps about what we want when it comes to the game? They're not selling us a ticket anyway and can count on us to fit into the numbers they need to sell TV ads.

SB XXVI was held in MN. Need a new stadium there for any future consideration.

I could swear one year they had it in MN or Detroit and it was so frigid, and the reviews of the experience so negative, that the NFL said they would never again have it in a cold weather city. Early 90's maybe? When you think about it, the potential for a blizzard at any time and the amount of money at stake, the league is taking a hell of a risk.

I will say this, I'd also prefer the game be played outdoors on grass.

If and when the Niners build a new stadium, they should add that to the list of places they frequent. Thought I still think it would be so much better if they went downtown with the stadium, but that's another story entirely.

You say this as if it's a viable option for most people. It's sort of laughable to talk about the PBR-drinking, working-class fans actually being able to afford tickets. I can't imagine paying the equivalent of a Caribbean cruise or furnishings for a few rooms in my house for a 3-hour experience.

:wacko:

Rational thinking that supports the panty waste mamby pamby kiesche eating crowd and the squeeze-an-event-for-everydime-until-it-screams bean counting silk suiters is not welcome.

I will say this, I'd also prefer the game be played outdoors on grass.

If and when the Niners build a new stadium, they should add that to the list of places they frequent. Thought I still think it would be so much better if they went downtown with the stadium, but that's another story entirely.

I hate the fact that Atlanta has a dome. That place really, really sucks. And ironically (given the NJ choice for 2014) they made it a dome because they wanted to host Super Bowls.

Rational thinking that supports the panty waste mamby pamby kiesche eating crowd and the squeeze-an-event-for-everydime-until-it-screams bean counting silk suiters is not welcome.

Just so I have it straight. There's a product that you either can't afford or simply have decided costs more than you'd like to spend on it, yet you're demanding the guys who are selling it cater to what you want rather than what their actual customers want.

IT'S FOOTBALL! THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME OF FOOTBALL!!!

If you can't manage to want to go to the game because of some snow or rain in the air, because it might dilute your mai tai and dampen your crisply curled hair, you shouldn't be going to the game. Save that seat for the guy who lives for Sundays, will plant his butt in the local watering hole 11 blocks from the stadium 4 hours before the game and slam down Buds, and then walk to the game and thoroughly enjoy the feel of nature on his face, watching the game as it was designed to be played.

Football is not for mamby pambies. You want to watch a game in the comfort of warm breezes and drinks with umbrellas? Buy a ticket to the Pro Bowl, and have yourself a blast, sissy-boy.

You are a complete idiot. You know that right?

Why in the hell would someone want to pay the kind of coin it costs to attend these games and sit in the cold?

That's just stupid. Seriously.

Just rotate it between Florida, New Orleans, Phoenix and LA (if/when they get a stadium).

Have you ever been out of Ohio? Cuz then you'd know if you've ever been to Florida that it rains all the f'n time...New Orleans is great, especially for getting mugged and beaten up...Phoenix is located in a friggin' desert...and LA is very nice, if you don't breath.

No matter where you go there's obstacles...

I hate the fact that Atlanta has a dome. That place really, really sucks. And ironically (given the NJ choice for 2014) they made it a dome because they wanted to host Super Bowls.

Incredibly ironic after the storm last time, and now Goodell has said Atlanta needs a new open-aired stadium to get another Superbowl. :wacko:

I'm completely in favor of an open-air stadium (some were saying retractable roof on the Dome, but that's like the difference between a sunroof and a convertible). But after taxpayers already paid to build the Dome less than 20 years ago, there was no way the city was going to pony up to help Blank to build another one. If he wants it (which he does badly), then he can get the money to pay for it...

Pretty freaking lame how Goodell holds the Superbowl hostage like that, and jsut straight up says that Atlanta's not going to get one with the stadium we built to get one.

Edited by delusions of granduer

Just so I have it straight. There's a product that you either can't afford or simply have decided costs more than you'd like to spend on it, yet you're demanding the guys who are selling it cater to what you want rather than what their actual customers want.

Maybe you can get tickets to the ballet championships

Edited by Bronco Billy

Have you ever been out of Ohio? Cuz then you'd know if you've ever been to Florida that it rains all the f'n time...New Orleans is great, especially for getting mugged and beaten up...Phoenix is located in a friggin' desert...and LA is very nice, if you don't breath.

I've been out of Ohio plenty. While it may rain in FL, does that close the whole city down the way a major snow storm could in a northern city?

Sure all those other places have problems, but they are nothing compared to the bitter cold weather and severe snow that could affect a game in the north.

Here's what the league should do, since apparently bad weather is no longer a concern -- eliminate the random chance that a team will have homefield advantage in the Super Bowl. Instead of just awarding the game to cities with new stadiums, nice weather, political connections, etc, one of the teams playing should host it every year. Decide it based on record with tiebreakers being division record and common opponent. An added benefit is that fewer playoff teams will bench their starters late in the season, because they will want to clinch homefield for the SB. Then open up tickets to season ticket holders for the two teams instead of making it a corporate whore-fest. Then the shortage of hotel rooms in a given city will be less of an issue too.

The ice and snowstorm last year as I drive to the super bowl was lovely

As was standIng in melted slush and mud for 3 hours waiting to get in, because the snow slipped off the dome and killed some workers a day before and they closed 4 out of 8 gates and didn't tell anybody

I am gong to the packers/giants game this week and will be in the elements outside. Hell, we are tailgating for a couple hours beforehand too.

Sissy

Yup.

I even turned down free tickets to Lambeau more than once in a couple different Decembers 'cause I had no interest in sitting in the cold. Maybe if I cared about the Packers I would have, but I don't. But nahhh... not even if they were my favorite team would I pay to sit in the cold to watch them. Simply not something I would spend a nickel on doing.

So what's your excuse for being an idiot?

Yup.

I even turned down free tickets to Lambeau more than once in a couple different Decembers 'cause I had no interest in sitting in the cold. Maybe if I cared about the Packers I would have, but I don't. But nahhh... not even if they were my favorite team would I pay to sit in the cold to watch them. Simply not something I would spend a nickel on doing.

So what's your excuse for being an idiot?

I would love to watch a game at Lambeau in the snow.

That explains a lot of your comments here. You're a girl. Run along and go back over to the NOW board.

One of my favorite and most memorable experiences was watching a Packer game in a driving snowstorm. A few of the players actually came back out on the field after the game and were doing belly whoppers on the field to hugh applause.

Bring it back to Stanford ,,, one of the best locations you will find when considering , weather, access, lodging & activities including site seeing before & after the game

i went to that SB...still believe they need to run BART down that way. bay area is a good venue though.

It rarely rains in FL from about October/November - April/May. Not sure where you got the idea it rains in FL "all the time". Thats not to say it doesnt rain, but storms certainly dont pop up like they do during the other months not listed.

I wouldn't want to watch any game in the snow in person, Lambeau or otherwise. I f'ng hate cold weather. HATE it. I've lived it my entire life and probably liked it when I was a kid, but there is not a single outdoor winter activity I enjoy. Not a one.

If my whole life weren't here (family, work, etc...) for sure I'd be outta here. Plotting that strategy now. Have I mentioned that I hate cold weather? If I could play golf year round I'd be a happy mo fo.

The winter so far here in Indiana has been mild, to say the least. We've barely had any snow. A dusting or two that lasted less than a day is the worst we've had. We've had several days in the high forties. We've had temperatures in the fifties and even sixties. I get this feeling the week before the Super Bowl is gonna be really, really bad. Probably will have a blizzard.
The Blizzard of 78 is the last major blizzard in terms of total precipitation during a single event around here (at least that I'm aware of). It was a year before I was born, but several people here at work commented that the weather that winter was very similar to this year - unseasonably warm with little snow prior to the storm. According to the Wikipedia page, the storm was Feb 5-7. When's the Superbowl? Feb 5th.