[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basement Home Theater

Menudo

I've wanted a home theater in my basement ever since I saw my neighbor's in action. I cannot afford to do everything I want right now, as far as finishing the basement. However, I did some research and went ahead and ordered a 120-inch screen with tripod, 1080P Projector and a nice surround sound system. I also added a space heater and a movie theater popcorn machine. All of it should be delivered by Friday, so, I'll be piecing everything together over the weekend. I can't wait to watch the playoff games down there this weekend. :wacko:

Anyone else have a projector / theater setup ? I've been jealous of my neighbor's setup since I moved in there. My basement won't look as nice, but, the equipment I got is much newer, so, I should have a fantastic setup going. I can't wait to see it in action.

My father in law does, and it's pretty nice. I don't have the room for a giant screen, but I made sure the surround is nice in my basement. I ceiling mounted the rears and got a powerful sub. It can sound good and loud.

All of it should be delivered by Friday, so, I'll be piecing everything together over the weekend. I can't wait to watch the playoff games down there this weekend. :tup:

It is awesome, enjoy the new theater smell. My brother got me into having a projector a while back and now I don't know why everyone doesn't have one. I actually just sanded and painted the wall in my basement for a 120" screen (using crown molding for a "frame"). Once football season is done I expect some updates to your movie review thread with the new setup. Enjoy it man... you'll wonder why you didn't get it all earlier. :wacko:

It is truly a wonderful experience. Nice start by going the projector route. The next thing is to figure out how to wall mount the screen. That means a space either without a window behind it or with one you're willing to block up. Then we get to talk about sound.

Well, I got the projector, but, no screen yet. Just projecting off of the cinder block wall, the quality is pretty amazing. I can't wait for the rest of it to show up.

how often does the projector bulb burm out and does it fade as time goes by and how much is the bulb to replace? those are the usual horror stories that I hear of from my friend who has a 115" screen.

The bulb on my projector is (or at least was) about $300. That being said, I have never had to replace it in the 4 years I've owned my projector. They have a certain life cycle so at some point they'll go. At that point you can decide whether you want to drop $900 - $1200 on a newer projector or just $300 on a bulb. I use my theater as a secondary TV so it's not like it's on every day. Basically once I got a nice HDTV upstairs we never really went downstairs. The theater is for movies, sports, and laying suppressive fire online (battlefield 3). So the bulb thing isn't a real big deal as it doesn't add up to very much over the life of the system.

Edited by Square

Well, I got the screen setup. The only thing that did not arrive today was the Surround Sound. Luckily, the projector does have sound, so, I can wait. To test it out, I did the following:

1.) Through on some sports on the satellite to see how it looked. The best I could find were some Hockey replays in 1080i. It looked fantastic. :lol:

2.) Put on Shrek 3 on 1080i on the Satellite and watched a little with my son. My son was extremely excited, and Shrek never looked so good. :rofl:

3.) Hooked the PS3 up and put in "The Dark Knight" Blu-Ray, which played in 1080P.....wow, Wow, WOw, WOW !!!! That was incredible !!!! :wacko:

4.) Played a game of my college football dynasty. Another incredible experience on a 120-inch screen. My Baylor Bears kicked a FG with no time left to beat Texas 45-42 in Texas. :tup:

I'm loving this so far. Now, just waiting for the surround sound to get the full experience.