[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting rid of Satellite TV

I Like Soup

Howdy All. I've had Directv since 2002 and the main reason I got it was for NFL Sunday Ticket. As life has progressed, I don't get the Sunday Ticket anymore. :wacko: Currently, I have a DVR in the master bedroom, and a receiver in the living room, and a receiver in each kid's room (2). I pay for Whole Home DVR, but realistically, we only watch it on the main DVR in our room. The reason is my 55" tv was broken during our move, so it hasn't been a priority to replace. Blah, blah, blah, I know.

Anyway, I pay $105/month and as I look at areas where I can trim some cost from my monthly living expenses, this seems to be an area I can improve. However, I'm unsure exactly how I'd be able to get coverage throughout the house for a mostly seemless transition. I've read this thread, but was curious to know if there are updates to the programming market. I'm pretty techy, but one area I haven't paid much attention to is home entertainment with regards to networking, etc.

Any suggestions? Go!

Stream Netflix and Hulu Plus. $15/mo.

That doesn't exactly cover stations like Food Network, History Channel, etc. does it? Also, I found Netflix to be disappointing in the streaming department. Too few choices, especially from a TV show perspective.

I shut down my satellite last weekend. I went to the store today and bought a $20.00 indoor tv antenna and pulled up 21 channels. Nothing special, local channels, networks, PBS and a weather channel. But it's free. Oh, and I live out in the middle of BFE, I would imagine the there would probably be more channels if you lived in the city.

I shut down my satellite last weekend. I went to the store today and bought a $20.00 indoor tv antenna and pulled up 21 channels. Nothing special, local channels, networks, PBS and a weather channel. But it's free. Oh, and I live out in the middle of BFE, I would imagine the there would probably be more channels if you lived in the city.

i cant get any channels at my house :wacko:

Based on what you've said, you might consider dropping back to just one receiver and 86'ing the TVs in the kids' rooms. Then drop back to just the basic programming package with DVR, dropping the HD channels, etc. You could probably get your monthly bill to about half of what it is. If whole house coverage is that important to you, well, there isn't much you can do about bending over and taking it up the pooper. No matter which direction you end up going you'll end up paying about the same unless you settle for just OTA channels with rabbit ears.

Based on what you've said, you might consider dropping back to just one receiver and 86'ing the TVs in the kids' rooms. Then drop back to just the basic programming package with DVR, dropping the HD channels, etc. You could probably get your monthly bill to about half of what it is. If whole house coverage is that important to you, well, there isn't much you can do about bending over and taking it up the pooper. No matter which direction you end up going you'll end up paying about the same unless you settle for just OTA channels with rabbit ears.

:wacko: His child is too young for that anyway.

:wacko: His child is too young for that anyway.

:tup:

Not my 9 and 5 year old stepkids!

Sounds to me like kidcid hit it on the head. I've been looking at this and if I want the same connectivity, I think the most I can hope for is to maybe dumb down from HD, take away Whole Home DVR, and maybe look at cable for some incentives.

Or, I could go the route fingfootball took and just see what is over the airwaves.

THIS ...plus, you know, they do have cheap plans. It is when you start adding all the extras and all the receivers that it becomes expensive.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

This. I'll have to put up a tower to get my antenna high enough but it'll save me $85 a month to drop DirecTV. I'd rather spend my money on something else now that football season is about over.

:wacko:

Not my 9 and 5 year old stepkids!

Sounds to me like kidcid hit it on the head. I've been looking at this and if I want the same connectivity, I think the most I can hope for is to maybe dumb down from HD, take away Whole Home DVR, and maybe look at cable for some incentives.

Or, I could go the route fingfootball took and just see what is over the airwaves.

This site tells you what kind of antenna you need, based on where you live and surrounding topography.

If you like the other channels, see if U-verse is available in your area. They've been advertising some real good deals lately.

We bundle the TV, Internet and Phone, getting the U400 or whatever package with HD channels and pay just over $200 a month for it all. The U400 has all the basic and expanded cable offerings, all of the premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) a very large on demand selection, etc.

We've been quite pleased with it.

I know you can get some good start up deals with them, and they also have much cheaper packages available.

This. I'll have to put up a tower to get my antenna high enough but it'll save me $85 a month to drop DirecTV. I'd rather spend my money on something else now that football season is about over.

yup i would need a 50 foot tower to get up above the trees........ :wacko:

Edited by Yukon Cornelius