[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sporano new OC for Jets

Flip_Side

I mentioned it in the GM and HC thread a few below this because I didn't think it warranted it's own thread. Great, the Jets signed the former HC that had the worst offense in their division. It's not like Sparano has secrets that he can tell the Jets so they can finally win the division over the Patriots.

As long as Sanchize is there the OC is on the hot seat

Maybe I'm a fool, but Sanchez's numbers have gotten better each season. He has had nothing but piles of turds on either side of him to throw to, and outside of Thomas Jones his rookie season, has had zero reliability from the running game. He's not the problem, the OC isn't the problem, the guy making personnel decisions is the problem.

Maybe I'm a fool, but Sanchez's numbers have gotten better each season. He has had nothing but piles of turds on either side of him to throw to, and outside of Thomas Jones his rookie season, has had zero reliability from the running game. He's not the problem, the OC isn't the problem, the guy making personnel decisions is the problem.

Gotta lay some of this on the HC. That locker room is messed up and that ultimately goes back to the HC. He's given the wrong guys too much rope and they're hanging the whole team with it.

I guess I hadn't heard that Schottie Jr. got canned.

...if pops gets hired in TB, I've got to guess the odds are good that the son ends up as AHC and OC, too...

I will then officially take back my "I'll be the guy taking Mike Williams on the cheap in next year's drafts" statement I made in the thread about who people will not be drafting again.

stats can be misleading. the guy is terrible. he makes ALOT of bad decisions, he doesn't seem to be a leader and he doesn't seem comfortable in the pocket. His O-Line has been very good his 1st 2 years and his defense kept him in games.

The guy is a turd.

I really don't think he's surrounded by bad players. Santonio Holmes is a good WR but has mental problems and when his QB plays like that he really shows you his mental instability. Plaxico, fine he's not the same WR that played for Giants but Sanchez doesn't know how to use him or even throw a fade route. I believe Keller is better than what he is showing right now and that is because Sanchez blows.

LT is still a decense option as a COP back. Shonne Greene sucks but he isn't the problem or the answer.

The Jets are expected to "scale back the playbook" and focus on a ground-and-pound offensive approach under new coach Tony Sparano.

Sources tell ESPN New York that outgoing OC Brian Schottenheimer ran a "high-volume offense" that overwhelmed Mark Sanchez. Sparano is expected to run a simplified version with increased two-tight end sets. While this would all seem to bode well for Shonn Greene's 2012 workload, don't be surprised if the Jets add tailback talent either through the draft or free agency. Jan 12 - 9:28 AM

The Jets are expected to "scale back the playbook" and focus on a ground-and-pound offensive approach under new coach Tony Sparano.

Sources tell ESPN New York that outgoing OC Brian Schottenheimer ran a "high-volume offense" that overwhelmed Mark Sanchez. Sparano is expected to run a simplified version with increased two-tight end sets. While this would all seem to bode well for Shonn Greene's 2012 workload, don't be surprised if the Jets add tailback talent either through the draft or free agency. Jan 12 - 9:28 AM

LMFAO...yea that's the offense that will work in the day of the NFL. Classic. Jets are a joke. Head coach is a joke. OC is a joke and QB is a joke. Those are three pretty important pieces of the puzzle.

LMFAO...yea that's the offense that will work in the day of the NFL. Classic. Jets are a joke. Head coach is a joke. OC is a joke and QB is a joke. Those are three pretty important pieces of the puzzle.

I'm no Jets fan, but it can work. It worked pretty well for the 9ers this year, no?

You mention Shonne Green but I feel they will probably draft a RB in the early rounds. I would imagine that Sporano is going to run alot (that is why management thinks he is a good fit). The guy who interests me is Keller. I would like to see him and another TE out there involved in play action. Keller is capable of running deep routes.

However, I do not see the Jets ever blowing out another team with Sporano. This will be a ball control team with a big O-Line and a defense that keeps the other offense off the field.

Sanchez has shown flashes of being pretty decent. He's definitely not a good Quarterback right now, but I believe it has a lot to do with lack of coaching. Rex Ryan is too wrapped up in Super Bowl promises and coaching up the defense than worrying about the one guy that can lose you a game, if ill-prepared. Sanchez' mechanics are off and he looks lost back there at times. Combining a lack of fundamental techniques and being asked to air it out 30+ times isn't a good recipe for success for anyone. It's proven that you can win in the NFL without a stud QB, you just need a decent system in place, not false bravado. Maybe Sporano can do that. Matt Moore looked pretty decent, and Chad Henne was coming around before he got hurt. Who knows.

Edited by Darkhorse1251

I guess I hadn't heard that Schottie Jr. got canned.

...if pops gets hired in TB, I've got to guess the odds are good that the son ends up as AHC and OC, too...

I'm still not sure if he was canned, or resigned, or his contract just ended. From a few stories I've seen it sounds like he was not actually fired, and was just not going to be returning as OC for the Jets.

I get the feeling he's reuniting with Marty somewhere (assuming Marty gets/takes an HC job).

Ok, according to Washington Post (yesterday) he resigned (or made the decision not to return)

Wash Post stort

Also saw an article that says he was expected to meet with Alabama coach Nick Saban (Wed Jan 11) about their vacant OC position.

Brian Schott to meet with Alabama

Edited by stevegrab

stats can be misleading. the guy is terrible. he makes ALOT of bad decisions, he doesn't seem to be a leader and he doesn't seem comfortable in the pocket. His O-Line has been very good his 1st 2 years and his defense kept him in games.

The guy is a turd.

Everything was fine with his intangibles when he was taking the team to the conference championship game the first two years.

I really don't think he's surrounded by bad players. Santonio Holmes is a good WR but has mental problems and when his QB plays like that he really shows you his mental instability. Plaxico, fine he's not the same WR that played for Giants but Sanchez doesn't know how to use him or even throw a fade route. I believe Keller is better than what he is showing right now and that is because Sanchez blows.

LT is still a decense option as a COP back. Shonne Greene sucks but he isn't the problem or the answer.

OK, got it. The QB who's showing improvement in his passing statistics is the problem, not the WR with mental problems or the WR that missed the two previous seasons because he was in jail, or the lead RB because he isn't the problem or the answer. Perfectly logical.

Everything was fine with his intangibles when he was taking the team to the conference championship game the first two years.

They went to the conference championship because their defense was playing really well not because Sanchez was a superstar.

OK, got it. The QB who's showing improvement in his passing statistics is the problem, not the WR with mental problems or the WR that missed the two previous seasons because he was in jail, or the lead RB because he isn't the problem or the answer. Perfectly logical.

If you say so. All I said was that stats can be misleading.

alot of successful NFL players have mental/off the field issues but if you want to blame them over Sanchez go ahead.

Guys a turd, polish him anyway you want.

Edited by MrTed46

Schottenhiemer was not a great OC, but he wasn't the problem.

Sanchez isn't the answer. Neither is Sporano, in fact Sporano is a step backwards IMO.

Like Herman Edwards before him, Ryan thought he could ignore the O line and just run the ball. There is no backup C on the roster. The right side of the O line is no longer any good. Moore is aging and when Woody left, they had no ORT to run behind. You want to run the ball, you best have an O line that can run block. Greene is at BEST an average RB. No burst, little lateral mobility and not enough power to be a north south RB.

The Jets are going to be a sub .500 team next year. I swear, Sanchez's arm is not significasntly stronger than Pennington's was. He daydreams on the sidelines when the D is on the field. His head is not on the game. The hot dog incident ... that was typical Sanchez. When I see him on the sideline, I see a disinterested QB.

The defense has taken a step back and still lacks a pl;ay making pass rusher. Safety is a big need.

I was resigned to having to live with another year of Sanchez before the Jets give up on him, but the hiring of Sporano is even worse news. I was hoping Callahan would replace Schotty, but he bolted... the ship is listing, and Callahan got on a life boat. I wouldn't want to be Sanchez's OC either.

Despite the desperate need at ORT, needs at both OG spots, and a lackluster RB corp, what you wanna bet all those needs get ignored in the draft and FA? It's starting to feel like Herm the werm all over again. Ryan may be writing his own death certificate here. If you want to win in THIS NFL, you had better be able to pass the ball and score points.

The ONLY chance the Jets have to compete in 2012 is if somehow, the owner steps in and finds a way to get Manning in green.

Um, the Niner HC is not a joke.

Great point...it's not just the system although I am not a believer that in this age of the NFL that you will be consistently successful running a two TE set and playing the grind it out game. It seems that those types of offenses are usually there to hide an inept QB. And in both cases this seems to be true. Although I think I take Smith over Sanchez if I have to make a choice. Ouch, that was painful to type.

alot of successful NFL players have mental/off the field issues but if you want to blame them over Sanchez go ahead.

OK, I will. :wacko:

Guys a turd, polish him anyway you want.

I'm not saying he's heading for Canton or that he's even in the top third or so of QBs in the NFL, but he's not the major problem with the Jets, he's not why they aren't in the playoffs, and he's not where you start fixing things if you want to get back to where the franchise was the previous two seasons in 2012.

This is the most hyperbolic media coverage and fanbase I've ever seen. Best team in football from August until mid-December. Dysfunctional organization that needs to be blown up by New Years Day.