[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weather....the great equalizer?

i_am_the_swammi

I think a sloppy field helps the Giants.

Should be a tight game, possibly decided by a turnover or two...with sloppy conditions it's a crapshoot who gets those. I picture 22 angry soaking wet huge men chasing fumbled balls all over the field for the chance to advance to the big dance.

I think it's the opposite.

Initially I thought the same...the Giants offense is a different bird this year, more long-ball oriented and less successful in the run game than in recent years. They aren't exactly the Saints though. You'd think that a wet field would slow the game down and if SF is able to find success with a power run game, just grinding it out with Gore and eating away at the clock, then that's a big plus for them. But oddly enough, the Giants defense has come out of nowhere these past few weeks so it's not a given that you can just run all over them as was the case for most of the season. And our run game can be sneaky good...nothing too impressive for 3.5 quarters, then Jacobs or Bradshaw busts a huge run and puts the dagger in your heart. For that reason I think it's a wash...I predicted a close game, now I predict a close, sloppy game with more turnovers. I can envision a strip-sack TD for Tuck or JPP as equally likely as a pick-6 for the very talented SF secondary, and those kinds of plays will usually decide this kind of game.

Initially I thought the same...the Giants offense is a different bird this year, more long-ball oriented and less successful in the run game than in recent years. They aren't exactly the Saints though. You'd think that a wet field would slow the game down and if SF is able to find success with a power run game, just grinding it out with Gore and eating away at the clock, then that's a big plus for them. But oddly enough, the Giants defense has come out of nowhere these past few weeks so it's not a given that you can just run all over them as was the case for most of the season. And our run game can be sneaky good...nothing too impressive for 3.5 quarters, then Jacobs or Bradshaw busts a huge run and puts the dagger in your heart. For that reason I think it's a wash...I predicted a close game, now I predict a close, sloppy game with more turnovers. I can envision a strip-sack TD for Tuck or JPP as equally likely as a pick-6 for the very talented SF secondary, and those kinds of plays will usually decide this kind of game.

I'll certainly agree that this is less of a big deal for the Giants than it would have been for the Saints or someone like that. I agree, the Giants have been better both running and against the run of late. But in both respects, I think the Niners are still better. That, where I think the Giants are still better is at WR and QB. Which is why I still think it will be an advantage to the Niners, albeit, not a huge one by any stretch.

From watching many games in bad weather in NE it's my opinion that weather conditions benefit the offense more than the defense. Yes it can be more difficult to execute your offense in bad weather, but the defense already has the harder job. Add in a slippery field and covering that quick slant, double move, etc becomes much more difficult. The offensive guy knows when he is shifting direction. The defensive guy has to figure it out and react. That reaction is slower on a slippery field and has the potential to lead to injury.

I think it's the opposite.

I think a sloppy field hinders the defense more than the offense and the 49ers strength is their defense.

All that being said, I think the 49ers find a way to win and mainly because the Giants seem a little too confident right now. Anytime a team vocalizes their confidence, it seems to be the kiss of death. Should be a GREAT game.

From watching many games in bad weather in NE it's my opinion that weather conditions benefit the offense more than the defense. Yes it can be more difficult to execute your offense in bad weather, but the defense already has the harder job. Add in a slippery field and covering that quick slant, double move, etc becomes much more difficult. The offensive guy knows when he is shifting direction. The defensive guy has to figure it out and react. That reaction is slower on a slippery field and has the potential to lead to injury.

This.

You don't even have to make a sharp move, just fake on and defenders fall down on the slippery surface.

Hopefully the SF field is in better shape than Heinz field was in that terrible game with MIA a few years ago that nearly ended in a 0-0 tie. (Everybody who watches will remember the one punt that hit the ground and just stuck in it.)

Don't see much weather impacting NE game this weekend, some snow on Saturday, then cold on Sunday. No major storm or wind.

This.

You don't even have to make a sharp move, just fake on and defenders fall down on the slippery surface.

Hopefully the SF field is in better shape than Heinz field was in that terrible game with MIA a few years ago that nearly ended in a 0-0 tie. (Everybody who watches will remember the one punt that hit the ground and just stuck in it.)

Don't see much weather impacting NE game this weekend, some snow on Saturday, then cold on Sunday. No major storm or wind.

I'm having trouble connecting the dots between agreeing that bad conditions help the offense and hoping that the conditions aren't so bad that the game nearly ends in a 0-0 tie.

I'm having trouble connecting the dots between agreeing that bad conditions help the offense and hoping that the conditions aren't so bad that the game nearly ends in a 0-0 tie.

No connection really, just two thoughts I was having.

I just don't want the playoff game to be a stinker, a boring snoozefest of inaction. I like a good defensive battle when its because both teams play good defense. Not becaue the field conditions make football impossible to play.

Rain will start tomorrow in the Bay Area and will actually go through Mon/Tues of next week...so since Candlestick Park is actually already below sea level and subject to iffy conditions even when not raining....this ought to be a fun sloppy game to watch...lots of slipping and sliding in the mud....should be great TV - wouldn't be too excited to be in that crowd though but hey how often do you get to go to a championship game?

KO'd

Interesting...I know I have always heard that the field (playing surface) is actually below sea level and gets a little soggy depending on the tides even but maybe that is an over exaggeration?

Actually 13.75' feet above sea level per this: http://www.49ers.com/stadium/facts-trivia.html

KO'd