[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fisher to coach Rams

STL Fan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With five of his last seven seasons being losing ones.....its a perfect fit.

As I mentioned in other threads....I don't get the love for Fisher at all.

2010 - 6-10

2009 - 8-8

2008 13-3

2007 10-6

2006 8-8

2005 4-12

2004 5-11

That looks a lot to me like THREE of the last seven seasons with a losing record, and only one of the last five seasons, even though the management of that team had horribly botched pretty much everything, he still managed respectable records. I'll take it.

2010 - 6-10

2009 - 8-8

2008 13-3

2007 10-6

2006 8-8

2005 4-12

2004 5-11

That looks a lot to me like THREE of the last seven seasons with a losing record, and only one of the last five seasons, even though the management of that team had horribly botched pretty much everything, he still managed respectable records. I'll take it.

Perhaps he read that he'd only had 2 winning seasons in the last 7 and assumed there were 5 losing ones.

dude was there for 17 years...does he get no blame for any of that?

Sure he does, and Bellichek gets some of the blame for four losing seasons out of five in Cleveland. Sometimes the situation keeps you down. Maybe Spags goes on to success somewhere else, too. Who knows?

EDIT: typo

Edited by STL Fan

Sure he does, and Bellichek gets some of the blame for fournlosing seasons out of five in Cleveland. Sometimes the situation keeps you down. Maybe Spags goes on to success somewhere else, too. Who knows?

I'm kinda hoping he signs on as the Saints DC of we end up losing GW, but I have a feeling Atlanta will beat us to the punch.

Sure he does, and Bellichek gets some of the blame for fournlosing seasons out of five in Cleveland. Sometimes the situation keeps you down. Maybe Spags goes on to success somewhere else, too. Who knows?

I'd take Fisher in a heart beat over every coach the Browns have had since returning in 99.

I don't get the hate for or dislike for Fisher. Did he win a SB, no. But then how many coaches have. It seems like some fans think the only viable candidates are either ones who have one a SB or some no name assistant looking to make a name himself.

Congrats, I think you got a very good coach (best candidate available).

PS If the Eagles are done with Reid they can send him to Cleveland in exchange for Shurmur.

I don't get the hate for or dislike for Fisher. Did he win a SB, no. But then how many coaches have. It seems like some fans think the only viable candidates are either ones who have one a SB or some no name assistant looking to make a name himself.

No name assistants making names for themselves is the description for every single head coach that gets a gig on any level, and the ones who have had jobs in the past that people want are winners with proven track records.

Fisher kept a job for 17 seasons in the NFL without really doing a whole heckuva lot. There are 19 head coaches in NFL history who have coached 250+ games. Fisher has the 3rd worst winning % among them and Weeb Eubank won a couple of AFL titles and a Super Bowl, while Dan Reeves got to the big game four times and with two different teams.

I don't think anyone hates or dislikes Fisher, rather, people like to point out that there's a lot of praise heaped on him that seems to be based on the longevity at his position rather than his results on the field.

No name assistants making names for themselves is the description for every single head coach that gets a gig on any level, and the ones who have had jobs in the past that people want are winners with proven track records.

Fisher kept a job for 17 seasons in the NFL without really doing a whole heckuva lot. There are 19 head coaches in NFL history who have coached 250+ games. Fisher has the 3rd worst winning % among them and Weeb Eubank won a couple of AFL titles and a Super Bowl, while Dan Reeves got to the big game four times and with two different teams.

I don't think anyone hates or dislikes Fisher, rather, people like to point out that there's a lot of praise heaped on him that seems to be based on the longevity at his position rather than his results on the field.

You're right he sucks, I'm sure there are tons of better candidates out there that the Rams simply ignored.

Many of those no name assistants flop, and never get another chance, or get another chance and flop again. Every once in a while (Belichick in his 2nd stint work out).

I'm not praising him as some great coach, but right now I think he was the best avaiable guy with NFL head coaching experience. I just don't see all the bashing like the guy has been a complete failure. He didn't keep his job for that long by being terrible (like a 4-12 average per season).

I'm not praising him as some great coach, but right now I think he was the best avaiable guy with NFL head coaching experience. I just don't see all the bashing like the guy has been a complete failure. He didn't keep his job for that long by being terrible (like a 4-12 average per season).

But you're defending him with your sarcastic leaps against perceived slights when people point out that he doesn't really have that great of a coaching record? :wacko:

I'm sure he'll be great, he has a lot of experience working for terrible owners who meddle too much and move teams when they don't get stadiums built for them.

Fisher is a very good coach. The Titans were one of the consistently great teams during the late 90s and early 00s under his watch (13, 13, 7, 11, 12 wins from '99 to '03). Unfortunately, age and the salary cap caught up to them, causing a massive roster overhaul starting in '04 and really taking effect in '05. Throw in multiple draft busts during this time with lots of input from Bud Adams (see: Pacman and Young) and you can see why they struggled late in his tenure.

The only thing I have against Fisher is he is way too conservative. If he has any kind of lead in the 4th quarter, he will milk the clock for all it's worth. He rarely takes risks such as going for it on 4th and short. I think his conservatism cost him a fair number of wins.

Fisher is a very good coach. The Titans were one of the consistently great teams during the late 90s and early 00s under his watch (13, 13, 7, 11, 12 wins from '99 to '03). Unfortunately, age and the salary cap caught up to them, causing a massive roster overhaul starting in '04 and really taking effect in '05. Throw in multiple draft busts during this time with lots of input from Bud Adams (see: Pacman and Young) and you can see why they struggled late in his tenure.

The only thing I have against Fisher is he is way too conservative. If he has any kind of lead in the 4th quarter, he will milk the clock for all it's worth. He rarely takes risks such as going for it on 4th and short. I think his conservatism cost him a fair number of wins.

Good analysis there.

Plus, to me he's the right coach at the right time for the Rams. They need someone that will bring stability and a good track record. And someone the local fan base can get excited about.

I would have loved to have Fisher in KC.

Plus, to me he's the right coach at the right time for the Rams. They need someone that will bring stability and a good track record. And someone the local fan base can get excited about.

I would have loved to have Fisher in KC.

THIS. 1000 times THIS. With the possibility of the lease being voided in a few years and the awful mistakes over the last few years, this team needed this guy at this time. He may not lead the team to the promised land, but to have publicly put our eggs in this basket and to be denied would have been devastating to this franchise and the fanbase. The jolt of energy this town got today was palpable. He represents hope, and big changes. No pressure, Jeff. :wacko:

Local radio is saying he has his staff nearly in place, but can't announce anything because several of them are still coaching in the playoffs. Didn't hear it really well, but maybe the one of the coordinators from NO?

Local radio is saying he has his staff nearly in place, but can't announce anything because several of them are still coaching in the playoffs. Didn't hear it really well, but maybe the one of the coordinators from NO?

It's been rumored in NO that Greg Williams wants to coach with him again.

With five of his last seven seasons being losing ones.....its a perfect fit.

As I mentioned in other threads....I don't get the love for Fisher at all.

Was gonna post the same thing.

Adam Schein on Sirius was saying Dolphin's fans should be crushed and disappointed, blah blah blah..

I can not believe the love for the guy either.

Seriously...great? That's why people get so bent out of shape. There is nothing great about anything he has done. Nothing. Not to say he can't have success. But nothing in his past says that he will. 16 years and no titles can not in any way be considered great. That is not my OPINION. That is FACT.

Seriously...great? That's why people get so bent out of shape. There is nothing great about anything he has done. Nothing. Not to say he can't have success. But nothing in his past says that he will. 16 years and no titles can not in any way be considered great. That is not my OPINION. That is FACT.

I never said Fisher was a great coach, in fact you'll notice I specifically said he was very good. However, I do believe their run from '99 to '03 was a great run. They had a combined 56-24 record in that span, with 4 trips to the playoffs including reaching the Super Bowl in '99 and the AFC championship game in '02. Many teams would kill to have that kind of run. Does it hurt him that he never won the whole thing? Of course it does, I won't deny that. But if you want to say that 5 year run wasn't great, we'll just have to agree to disagree.