[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toughts on the Whitner hit on Pierre Thomas

Glabra

As I saw the hit being delivered, PT crumpling down and a bunch of 9ers/Saints jumping on, I was sitting there wondering what if PT had suffered a serious head injury and couldn't afford any more aggravation?

I know players are taught to finish and play to the whistle, but in a case where you see a guy fold like this, is there a case to be made for the play to be halted, in light of a potential life-threatening injury? Didn't happen here, but it could. Is the determination of who ended up with possession really more important than a man's safety and health?

Not sure of the answer myself.. :wacko:

It happens so fast on the field there is no way anybody can determine if a guy is really hurt in a split second and make a decision. Their instict is to keep driving and go for the ball on the ground. Also if you were to put this into yet another ref judgement call you are just asking for more grief than good. I think you would literally be having guys fake things in big games as to not have something be a turnover etc. etc. Just to big a bag of worms to open yes it is a scary situation but it is part of the hard hitting NFL. You can't keep altering everything that is too aggressive or we will soon be playing two hand touch.

Just my :wacko:

It happens so fast on the field there is no way anybody can determine if a guy is really hurt in a split second and make a decision. Their instict is to keep driving and go for the ball on the ground. Also if you were to put this into yet another ref judgement call you are just asking for more grief than good. I think you would literally be having guys fake things in big games as to not have something be a turnover etc. etc. Just to big a bag of worms to open yes it is a scary situation but it is part of the hard hitting NFL. You can't keep altering everything that is too aggressive or we will soon be playing two hand touch.

Just my :wacko:

Yep

And FWIW, while the hit was brutal, I do agree it was a legal hit. Unfortunately Whitner came up so quickly that PT didn't really have time to prepare. I think I posted this in another thread, but that hit turned out to be a 10-14 point swing in favor or the 49ers. Had he not been knocked out then the Saints would likely have scored and if PT had not gotten the concussion then Roby would have never been back receiving that fumbled kick that gave the 49ers the short field.