[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Fire Caldwell

Shorttynaz

I'd be willing to bet if they thought they had a shot at Fisher, they would have acted sooner. Schefter said Fisher turned down a lot of interviews and settled on two jobs to pick from, telling the others he had no interest, including the Raiders.

Somehow I doubt he would have had no interest in the Colts job, if it had been offered.

I was wondering if the fact he took so long deciding between St. Louis and Miami was that he was waiting to see if the Colts job opened up.

Edited by CaptainHook

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this has nothing to do with his abilities, but I worked at a hotel that hosted all the football teams that played NC State, Duke and Carolina, when he coached Wake Forest. He was a really nice guy, but Wake Forest at the time wasn't all that good. I was stunned years later when I saw that he was Coach for the Colt's.

While I would have loved to see a healthy Manning retire as a Colt when he was ready to, I've expect this as well. I wonder what's going to happen with Diem, Garcon, Gonzalez, Mathis, Saturday, Tamme, and Wayne, the bigger-name players that are free agents this year. I think Diem, Gonzalez, and Tamme won't be resigned. Garcon and Wayne I hope so although I bet only Garcon is back, Mathis I think will be resigned. And Saturday I think retires in lieu of starting from scratch with a new QB.

Garcon is a younger faster Wayne so I can live w/o Wayne. Saturday is plenty rich and agree will retire. Tamme and Gonzo are no big loss. Frankly even Diem and Mathis, though their loss will be felt, aren't all that amazing either. If at all possible, keep both QBs, draft a stud OL or DL in that first 2d round pick, and maybe work the FA market a little (something Polian mostly sucked at frankly, the notable exception being Vinatieri).

The difference between Wayne and Garcon is that Wayne has hands.

I doubt very much that the Colts will re-sign Saturday. They almost didn't re-sign him the last time he was a free agent. Like you said, he may retire.

I think the Colts let Manning walk (barring a contract restructuring). I think they will also re-sign either Wayne or Mathis. Not both. More likely Mathis. Probably will re-sign Garcon.

Then they draft Luck and start over.

Edited by CaptainHook

Not really. I've seen Wayne drop more than his share. And he can't seperate for squat. Not saying he's bad but not worth nearly what he's getting.

I didn't say he hadn't lost a step. But, he still has the best hands on the team. Garcon will make a spectacular catch and then drop a couple easy ones. Obviously Wayne should not get a huge contract from the Colts. His last contract was his big one. I could see him going to a contender that needs a WR for a couple years for pretty decent money. Carolina maybe? San Francisco? San Diego?

Edited by CaptainHook

He was Denny Green's OC for about a half dozen yrs in Minne and the Vikes did have decent offensive schems, for the most part, during his tenure ... but he likely had no input to the Def. Overall, he is a good administrator .... if he hires top notch assistants, and provides the support they need, he'd be assembling a real "team".

:wacko:

I'd be willing to bet if they thought they had a shot at Fisher, they would have acted sooner. Schefter said Fisher turned down a lot of interviews and settled on two jobs to pick from, telling the others he had no interest, including the Raiders.

Why would anyone want to coach that team? You know you're going to be fired after one season...

Too bad they waited this long. Could have made a play for Fisher - I'm sure he would have given some SERIOUS consideration to beat his former team twice a season. Wondering who would be the best candidate. 3 names come to mind, although I know one has said he's not ready to come back. Cowher, Gruden, and Brian Billick.

Gruden may not be the best coach, but man do the Colts need an in-your-face smash mouth coach. Cower is a better coach and brings the same intensity.

Then there's Brian Billick. I don't know if he has any interest in getting back into coaching, but this dude is a defensive minded coach who took the Ravens to the top with a mediocre (at best) offense. Colts NEED a defensive minded coach!

He's already on the staff

Wasn't he the OC in Minnesota? So is he a defensive or offensive minded coach?

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I think people forget that he was an offensive minded coach, because his Ravens won a SB with a great defense and a pretty mediocre/bad offense. So they now think he is a defensive genius.

I doubt very much that the Colts will re-sign Saturday. They almost didn't re-sign him the last time he was a free agent. Like you said, he may retire.

"I have my own decision to make long before I worry (about) what the Colts are going to do," said Saturday, 36. "I'm considering not playing."

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay shot down a report he reached out to Jeff Fisher as a possible replacement to head coach Jim Caldwell.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the Colts had approached Fisher to gauge his interest before they decided to fire Caldwell on Tuesday. Fisher recently was named the new head coach with the St. Louis Rams.

On his Twitter account, Irsay wrote, “ . . . that St. Louis writer rumor stuff NOT TRUE. . . we weren’t involved in any Fishing expedition..stayed far clear of it,don’t spread BS.’’

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay shot down a report he reached out to Jeff Fisher as a possible replacement to head coach Jim Caldwell.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the Colts had approached Fisher to gauge his interest before they decided to fire Caldwell on Tuesday. Fisher recently was named the new head coach with the St. Louis Rams.

On his Twitter account, Irsay wrote, “ . . . that St. Louis writer rumor stuff NOT TRUE. . . we weren’t involved in any Fishing expedition..stayed far clear of it,don’t spread BS.’’

At least someone has some brains here. Good Move.

Peyton retires and then they sign him as the Head Coach :wacko: Why not he has been basically doing that for years now

Second time I read that today, not sure if it was you before. But it would be more accurate to say that Peyton had been the Offensive Coordinator for years, not the head coach.

The bloodletting continues. Yesterday the Colts fired offensive line coach Pete Metzalaars, wide receivers coach Frank Reich, and strength and conditioning coach John Torine. Today defensive line coach John Teerlinck was fired. It is also reported that defensive backs coach Alan Williams will be leaving to become defensive coordinator in Minnesota.

The bloodletting continues. Yesterday the Colts fired offensive line coach Pete Metzalaars, wide receivers coach Frank Reich, and strength and conditioning coach John Torine. Today defensive line coach John Teerlinck was fired. It is also reported that defensive backs coach Alan Williams will be leaving to become defensive coordinator in Minnesota.

Wow that's a lot. No rumblings on who may be a lead candidate for HC? By letting go of this many without having a HC yet maybe they have a guy in mind and he already would have a staff joining him.

Wow that's a lot. No rumblings on who may be a lead candidate for HC? By letting go of this many without having a HC yet maybe they have a guy in mind and he already would have a staff joining him.

They've got a deal worked out with Belichick after he wins another SB to come over to the Colts for a new challenge :wacko: