[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Fire Caldwell

Shorttynaz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a whole lot of facts in that story, other than the one that Tressel has not been let go yet, while the Colts have fired a large number of coaches.

I don't see how somebody can use a title with NOT in uppercase like that, solely based on some writers opinion that if the Colts hired Tressel as head coach they'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.

More great modern journalism where the writer is creating the news not reporting it.

Wow, what a super overreaction-as-blog-entry.

#1, what did Tressel do that was so "deplorable"? He didn't even do the most deplorable thing by a head coach in his university's history (and I'm not talking about the SEC losing streak).

#2, why would he automatically not be considered? There are head coaches who have made the leap from college and had success (ahem, one of them is coaching to get into the Super Bowl this weekend).

Wow that's a lot. No rumblings on who may be a lead candidate for HC? By letting go of this many without having a HC yet maybe they have a guy in mind and he already would have a staff joining him.

More today. Interim defensive coordinator and former linebackers coach Mike Murphy will retire. Quarterbacks coach Ron Turner, coaching assistant Devin Fitzsimmons, special assistant to the defense Rod Perry, and defensive assistant Bill Teerlinck were all fired as well.

The only coaches still remaining on staff from the 2-14 team are offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen, his assistant Jim Bob Cooter, assistant strength and conditioning coach Richard Howell, assistant offensive line coach Ron Prince, tight ends coach Ricky Thomas and running backs coach David Walker.

Edited by CaptainHook

Not a whole lot of facts in that story, other than the one that Tressel has not been let go yet, while the Colts have fired a large number of coaches.

I don't see how somebody can use a title with NOT in uppercase like that, solely based on some writers opinion that if the Colts hired Tressel as head coach they'd be the laughing stock of the NFL.

More great modern journalism where the writer is creating the news not reporting it.

+1

For those of you who hated Caldwell as much as I did - you'll find this funny.. ENJOY!!

LINK

"5 Ridiculous Replacements for Ex-Colts Head Coach

Joe Buck, Sports Announcer

I mean, seriously, Joe Buck? Buck would fit perfectly onto the Indianapolis Colts sideline. All he would have to do is stand there and be bored/unexcited by everything going on around him, just like he is during his FOX television gig, and it would be as if Jim Caldwell never left.

A Bag of Rocks

This one might be a bit harsh, but really, would a bag of rocks have been any different from the stone figure that stood on the Indianapolis Colts sideline every Sunday? Listen, Caldwell really only made one big decision in his three years in Indy: Whether or not he should rest the starters for a playoff run, or play them and attempt to go for a perfect regular season back in 2009. He ended up resting them. In the playoffs, with Peyton Manning orchestrating the offense, the Colts were a few plays away from winning a Super Bowl over the New Orleans Saints. Replacing Caldwell with a bag of rocks during that postseason wouldn't have changed much; I promise you that.

A Bunny Rabbit That Doesn't Blink

Seriously, though, could you tell the difference? Caldwell is a notorious blank-starer (if that was a word, Caldwell's picture would be above it in the dictionary), and so is this bunny rabbit. If nothing else, it would be funny to see him/her/it holding a clipboard on the sidelines, shouting out play-calls to Peyton Manning.

Alfred, the Butler from the Batman Movies

Why, you may ask? Well, Butler Alfred is superb at taking orders, just like Jim Caldwell. Let's be realistic—Coach Caldwell wasn't calling the plays on offense. That would be a mixture of Peyton Manning, who is basically a coach himself, and Tom Moore, who was Manning's offensive coordinator from 1998 (the year No. 18 was drafted) until 2010. Caldwell may have made the decisions on defense, but whatever calls he did make were awful. The Colts ranked 18th, 20th and 25th, respectively, in Caldwell's three years in Indy. At least if he was Alfred the Butler, he would have sweet spectacles and an awesome British accent.

A Toilet

If this isn't considered "taking a dump" on your head coach, I don't know what is. I mean, would you ever, in a million years, see Tom Brady react to a Bill Belichick time-out call like some of Jim Caldwell's? Peyton Manning, by shrugging his shoulders in disbelief, is basically calling his coach an idiot in front of his entire team. In this day and age, where every little thing is caught on camera, a guy as media-savvy as Manning had to have known that he was being recorded. Despite that, Manning shrugged and continued to look shocked even as a cameraman shoved a camera right in his face. If Manning is just going to crap on his coach, why not just replace his coach with a toilet? And to keep his star quarterback happy, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay should splurge and buy one of those super cool golden toilets that cleans itself and wipes your butt for you."

Edited by Shorttynaz

lol

Now Irsay is saying "Luck/Griffith is like Manning/Leaf was."

Griffith may work out fine in the NFL but if they pick him the entire state of Indy should lynch Irsay and Grigson.

They are doing the same thing they did during the Leaf/Manning debate. They had made up their mind on Manning well before the draft. But you don't want anyone to know your draft plans. Maybe you drive up the price for the #1 pick via trade? It de-values the #2 pick until draft day when the #1 pick is made. Just playing their cards close to the vest.

They are doing the same thing they did during the Leaf/Manning debate. They had made up their mind on Manning well before the draft. But you don't want anyone to know your draft plans. Maybe you drive up the price for the #1 pick via trade? It de-values the #2 pick until draft day when the #1 pick is made. Just playing their cards close to the vest.

I agree but that talk makes me nervous.

Word on the street is that the Colts are indeed interviewing Jim Tressel.

Yeah, I heard it on JMV 1070 today that this was happening. They talked about the fact that his only option is to coach in the NFL as he's banned from collegiate for the next 5 years. :wacko:

if peyton cant play cuz of his neck, then just make him head coach. we all know he has held the position since he pushed out tony dungy a few years ago. caldwell always had this confused look on his face. never thought it was a good hire, seemed more like a "you put in your time and you were tony's right hand man so we'll give u the job". the tressel rumors r interesting....the college to nfl jump isnt always as easy as harbaugh made it seem this year, especially with the roster overhaul that is going on in indy.

zimmer might b a great fit to bring a toughness and defensive influence that hasnt been in indy since.....um......they were in baltimore.

Edited by Kris N