[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts Fire Caldwell

Shorttynaz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some of you guys opposed to Tressel? Seems like a pretty good coach to me. Is it because of the tattoo scandal? If so, that seems pretty tame compared to what goes on in a lot of college programs. His teams at OSU seemed to be well-coached?

Edited by CaptainHook

Why are some of you guys opposed to Tressel? Seems like a pretty good coach to me. Is it because of the tattoo scandal? If so, that seems pretty tame compared to what goes on in a lot of college programs. His teams at OSU seemed to be well-coached?

I dont get it either. The guy was a Top 10 college coach before last season. The tatto thing should be a non factor at this point.

the transition from college to pro is tough. especially for coaches that are used to controlling every aspect and using their position to initmidate and boss around their players (saban in miami & spurrier in washington r two recent examples). harbaugh had more of an inspirational relationship with his players at stanford, so i think he had an easier transistion to the nfl (plus he was a player not too long ago so he can relate to them). i just see tressell as a great college coach. some guys r meant for college and some are meant for nfl.

the transition from college to pro is tough. especially for coaches that are used to controlling every aspect and using their position to initmidate and boss around their players (saban in miami & spurrier in washington r two recent examples). harbaugh had more of an inspirational relationship with his players at stanford, so i think he had an easier transistion to the nfl (plus he was a player not too long ago so he can relate to them). i just see tressell as a great college coach. some guys r meant for college and some are meant for nfl.

Whoa! They need some fertilizer in East Texas, not on the Huddle boards!

not sure about the fertilizer comment, but at least that was a productive addition to the board. thanks but no thanks.

tressell controls every aspect and demands respect from his players, but in the nfl you have to earn it. no nfl players care about his college history, they just want their money, their stats and some actually care about winning. i dont see tressell fitting in well as a head coach in the nfl......just like saban and spurrier.

not sure about the fertilizer comment, but at least that was a productive addition to the board.

Yes, I was certainly impressed.

Anyway:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/maga...ssel/index.html

Speaking of fertilizer, I think Tressel's quite an expert. No thx. I think/hope Colts are much better than that. This isn't Cincy or NE (etc).

tressell controls every aspect and demands respect from his players, but in the nfl you have to earn it. no nfl players care about his college history, they just want their money, their stats and some actually care about winning. i dont see tressell fitting in well as a head coach in the nfl......just like saban and spurrier.

You're making broad and naive generalizations about the motivations of football players and a (very successful) college coach's perceived (in)ability to get players to perform for him.

It hasn't been something that most coaches hired directly from college with little or no pro experience have been able to transition to successfully beyond a handful (not really even that, Mariucci, Switzer, Johnson....jeez, Robinson? McKay? anyone else?). The fact is that it isn't just about coaching to be successful in the NFL. You have to have an organization that works from the top down. Management, Coaching, Scouting, Players, etc.. While I agree there should be some reservations about hiring a personality (or lack there of) like Tressel, he certainly has the background and pedigree of successful coaching at every stop he's made to warrant conisderation.

Looking more and more like Jim Tressel is going to be the guy in Indy. Tressel was back for a 2nd interview..

LINK

"After a 2-14 season, the Indianapolis Colts are one step closer to reaching a deal with former Ohio State head football coach Jim Tressel.

According to 10TV, Tressel has gotten a second interview with Colts owner Jim Irsay regarding the head coaching vacancy.

With all the hype surrounding quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning, this story has gone under the radar.

Tressel is a defensive mastermind and was extremely successful at OSU.

In 10 seasons with the team, he was an impressive 106-22 without a single losing season.

Two years into taking the position at OSU, the Buckeyes were 14-0 and cruising, topping off the undefeated season with a Fiesta Bowl win in 2003.

If Tressel can bring this firepower early in his tenure with the Indianapolis Colts, there is no question it will be enough to get this team into the playoffs.

The Colts were ranked No. 29 against the run, No. 15 against the pass and failed to run the ball effectively all season long (No. 26).

What makes Tressel such an effective fit is that he has thrived in each of these areas. Having a top-notch defense and a solid running game were his trademarks at OSU.

Bringing in Tressel would be a stellar move for the Colts organization."

Edited by Shorttynaz

A few days ago, Jim Tressel looked like he was gonna be the guy in Indy. Now he looks to be out of the running:

LINK

And maybe tomorrow he'll be the leading candidate again, based on another rumor of some unnamed source. This BS is crazy. Do any of you believe any of this stuff the media is feeding you?

And maybe tomorrow he'll be the leading candidate again, based on another rumor of some unnamed source. This BS is crazy. Do any of you believe any of this stuff the media is feeding you?

Hell Yeah! Who else am I going to believe? Rob Lowe??

These guys have no idea. The just throw Athena up and hope it sticks so they can say they were right. Monday before Caldwell was fired, everyone saying he was coming back. Irsay loves to tweet. He'll let us know soon enough. And he knows a hell of a lot more about what's going on that these idiots.

another interesting rumor to throw up there......

On the local sports talk at lunch (Dan Dakich 1070 The Fan) today, there was someone who was supposedly tracking the flight logs for Irsay's private plane and it supposedly flew down to Alabama over the weekend, came back to Indy, then returned to northern Georga............so the speculation was that the Colt's flew down to bring up Saban from Alabama, interview him, and then flew him back to where his vacation home is in northern Georgia.

Personally, I think Irsay is just messing with the entire country for the hell of it!!! :wacko:

Edited by Big Dogs