[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl SATURDAY

Menudo

I know Super Bowl Sunday is tradition, but, it is time to do the smart thing and move the game to Saturday night, primetime. Super Bowl is probably the biggest night of the year for parties, yet, the game ends at around 9:30-10:00 EST, and most people have to get up for work the next day. Moving the game to Saturday would make a LOT of sense. :wacko:

I know Super Bowl Sunday is tradition, but, it is time to do the smart thing and move the game to Saturday night, primetime. Super Bowl is probably the biggest night of the year for parties, yet, the game ends at around 9:30-10:00 EST, and most people have to get up for work the next day. Moving the game to Saturday would make a LOT of sense. :wacko:

Couldn't agree more, MA :tup:

How are you going to win a Super Bowl without Calvin Johnson?

Why would you think they wouldn't resign CJ? I mean, they'd franchise tag him if all else fails but I really don't think there is much of a chance of him leaving the team.

I'm contemplating taking next Monday off. I like this idea a lot.

Why would you think they wouldn't resign CJ? I mean, they'd franchise tag him if all else fails but I really don't think there is much of a chance of him leaving the team.

Sucking ass for so many years has it's negatives. Stafford, CJ and Suh will cover 40% of the overall cap space next year, and franchising CJ makes the number even higher. Add Vanden Bosch and it goes up to $60mil of the $120mil cap. Unless CJ's willing to take a major paycut he very likely might shop around, and other teams might be in a better position to afford him. If they don't franchise him he costs them $22mil, if they do it goes to $26.4 mil.

Vikes could use a WR. :wacko:

+1000.

What is the thinking behind the sunday game? There must be a reason but it's not coming to me? To prevent excessive tomfoolery and ballyhoo?

"We hear this each year," said league spokesman Brian McCarthy. "The concept of playing the Super Bowl on a Sunday has worked well for 44 years and we don't anticipate moving away from this tradition. Fans expect to see the Super Bowl on a Sunday, the day on which 89.2 percent of NFL games are played."

Could a Saturday Super Bowl be successful? As the NFL's former senior vice president of special events, Jim Steeg worked on 26 Super Bowls during his tenure and is now a well-respected sports consultant based in San Diego. "Most people for the Super Bowl come in Friday and go home Monday morning," Steeg said. "I remember seeing a study a couple of years ago that said the average length of a stay at a Super Bowl was 3.3 days. So people pay for four days and stay for three. If you switched it to a Saturday, that one less day could decrease revenue, which might not be good for the local community."

"Remember, a lot of things take place Saturday night, like the Owners' party," added Rodney Barreto, the chairman of the South Florida Super Bowl Committee. Baretto has been the host chairman for two Super Bowls (2007 and 2010) and is currently leading the charge to bring the game back to South Florida in 2015. "Obviously, if it came down from the NFL that they were changing the Super Bowl from Sunday to Saturday, we would adjust," Barreto said. "From an organizers perspective, I like having the game on Sunday because most people show up to town on Friday."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1jqmGWMWd

I think the bolded part pretty much sums it up.

Sucking ass for so many years has it's negatives. Stafford, CJ and Suh will cover 40% of the overall cap space next year, and franchising CJ makes the number even higher. Add Vanden Bosch and it goes up to $60mil of the $120mil cap. Unless CJ's willing to take a major paycut he very likely might shop around, and other teams might be in a better position to afford him. If they don't franchise him he costs them $22mil, if they do it goes to $26.4 mil.

:pantstight:

"We hear this each year," said league spokesman Brian McCarthy. "The concept of playing the Super Bowl on a Sunday has worked well for 44 years and we don't anticipate moving away from this tradition. Fans expect to see the Super Bowl on a Sunday, the day on which 89.2 percent of NFL games are played."

Could a Saturday Super Bowl be successful? As the NFL's former senior vice president of special events, Jim Steeg worked on 26 Super Bowls during his tenure and is now a well-respected sports consultant based in San Diego. "Most people for the Super Bowl come in Friday and go home Monday morning," Steeg said. "I remember seeing a study a couple of years ago that said the average length of a stay at a Super Bowl was 3.3 days. So people pay for four days and stay for three. If you switched it to a Saturday, that one less day could decrease revenue, which might not be good for the local community."

"Remember, a lot of things take place Saturday night, like the Owners' party," added Rodney Barreto, the chairman of the South Florida Super Bowl Committee. Baretto has been the host chairman for two Super Bowls (2007 and 2010) and is currently leading the charge to bring the game back to South Florida in 2015. "Obviously, if it came down from the NFL that they were changing the Super Bowl from Sunday to Saturday, we would adjust," Barreto said. "From an organizers perspective, I like having the game on Sunday because most people show up to town on Friday."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1jqmGWMWd

I think the bolded part pretty much sums it up.

Fair enough, so how about starting the fricking game earlier in the day, then?

Sucking ass for so many years has it's negatives.

:tup: So detroit is finally good and CJ would leave to go to a crap team like the Vikes right now? :lol: Viking fans deep in the Kool aid early this offseason.

Seriously though, Stafford, Suh, and CJ aren't going anywhere. KVB could be replaced as he is getting older and I'm sure they'd rather make something work at other positions than lose any of those 3.

+1000.

What is the thinking behind the sunday game? There must be a reason but it's not coming to me? To prevent excessive tomfoolery and ballyhoo?

Maybe its because an overwhelming majority of NFL games are played on Sunday (see the post from NFL spokesman in another post says almost 90%).

Would the ratings be any different? I know the late Saturday evening playoff games seem to be the coveted time slots (wild card weekend NBC wants the best game then can get and puts it in that slot).

I'd go along with a national holiday, replace Presidents Day if you have to. Not sure every business would close though, some people are still going to have to work on Monday.

I also don't understant what's with the late start time, why not start at 3PM or something. Is it solely to be in prime time (east coast) or so it isn't too early for west coast?

If my team were in the big game, I'd be taking Monday off. Heck if the Browns made the SB I think the whole NE Ohio area should declare the Monday after as a special holiday.