[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tford's annual mock draft

Tford

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several teams with considerable need at QB which should drive up the market over Cassell.

Name them. :wacko:

Let's rephrase that. I don't count any where Matt Cassel would be a significant enough upgrade over the present seat warmer to "drive up" the market.

Name them. :wacko:

Let's rephrase that. I don't count any where Matt Cassel would be a significant enough upgrade over the present seat warmer to "drive up" the market.

McCoy and Jackson are the first two that come to mind but have about the same numbers as Cassel if not better.

25) Denver Broncos - Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State

A big run stuffer in the middle to help Broderick Bunkley inside. The Broncos defense solidified down the stretch but Marcus Thomas isn't the long-term answer. Cox would be the interior presence the Broncos need in the hard-running AFC West.

26) Houston Texans - Kendall Wright WR Baylor

Jacoby Jones pretty fumbled his way out of Houston and the Texans have always looked for that impact WR to run alongside Andre Johnson. Wright fits that bill perfectly. I like Nick Perry here if Mario Williams manages to become a cap casualty.

27) New England Patriots (from New Orleans) - Mark Barron SS Alabama

The Patriots secondary was a disaster all year. Pat Chung was the lone bright spot but he can't seem to stay healthy. Belichick was signing street free agents to play free safety. Grabbing Barron here to shore up the Patriot secondary would be a wise play.

28) Green Bay Packers - Nick Perry 3-4 OLB Southern California

A sore spot for the Packers, Perry provides an immediate upgrade opposite Clay Matthews. Wouldn't be surprised if GB goes for Chase Minnifield if Perry goes before this.

29) New York Giants - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia

The Giants still need to work on their aging offensive line. Eli is slinging it a lot lately but I'm sure they'd like to retain the ability to run it down their opponents' throats. Glenn is roadgrader that could also be a swing tackle who will aid in the running game.

30) Baltimore Ravens - Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State

The Ray Lewis successor, complete with a mean streak. Burfict is a brutal hitter with good to great instincts. Ozzie Newsome has made it known that the next big ILB to play for Baltimore may be drafted this spring. Burfict would be a good fit.

31) San Francisco 49ers - Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers

I'm not the first mocker to call Sanu to the 49ers but he makes a lot of sense. Braylon Edwards was a colossal free agent flop and Michael Crabtree will need a threat on the other side to keep defenses honest. Sanu played for Rutgers so he knows how to block which should help his chances to stick in San Fran.

32) New England Patriots - Zac Brown 4-3 OLB North Carolina

More defense for New England who also struggled to field a decent LB corps throughout the year. Brown is a talented player who should be able to give the Patriots the versatility they want and the playmaking they need.

My take is this.

The Packers will sign Finley to a long term contract then Franchise tag Flynn. I still think he ends up with Miami but it will be as a result of a trade.

Flynn would easily command a top 10 pick in this draft or a 2nd this year and a 1st next season and the Packers would be very foolish to let him walk without compensation. Flynn will command a 50-60 million dollar type contract so risking 14 million is nothing given he would be traded to a team that will negotiate a long term deal anyway.

In my view, he is way better Franchise tag than Finley. Miami may still get him but they will pay a high pick for the privilege.

the one saving grace for flynn not being franchised is how far apart finley and the packers are on his contract. he wants WR money and they know he cant catch the ball (sorry had to get one last shot in there). but he wants big money and they aren't going to lock him up to a huge long term deal after this season. if they franchise him, he gets less than $6million which doesnt break the bank and gives them another year to come to terms with him on a deal. i hope finley stays up on the pedestal he put himself on so the packers cant franchise flynn.

but if they do get a deal done with finley, then no doubt they will franchise flynn. but at close to $15million all the nfl teams know they cant keep him. thats why they wont get 2 firsts or a first & second. I could easily see miami giving our 2nd this year and a conditional 2nd or 3rd in 2013 based on flynn's 2012 season. that is a small price to pay for a qb that could bring us back in the playoff hunt.

Edited by Kris N

Could be, but I think Flynn will command a higher value given the situation and his recent record setting performance. He could move into to Miami already knowing the offensive scheme cold.

Kevin Kolb got a decent CB/KR and an early 2nd Rounder for Philly.

Two starts for Matt Flynn and he's going to fetch a 1st Rounder? Not when the team's most desperate to trade for him pick in the top 12. He's got some multiple pick value, but none higher than a 2nd.

Kevin Kolb got a decent CB/KR and an early 2nd Rounder for Philly.

Two starts for Matt Flynn and he's going to fetch a 1st Rounder? Not when the team's most desperate to trade for him pick in the top 12. He's got some multiple pick value, but none higher than a 2nd.

Value is always relative to need. BTW, wasn't that DB a first round pick? We also saw the price paid for Julio Jones this year. Point being, it just takes one team.

Just saying he may command better compensation as there are multiple teams that really need an upgrade at the position and he is obviously NFL ready day one.

Who knows, they may just let him walk but in my view he has significantly more real value than Finley.

Kolb had no real history either but I would rather have Flynn's upside. Then again, I have never been a Kolb fan. Miami would obviously be a great fit given the coaching change so it stands to reason the Packers may leverage that given the knowledge of the situation. Then again, they, the Packers may not think he is worth it given they have seen him as a player for years. No doubt there is some risk to tagging him but if they are sure they can trade him then the risk is not too much.

Great Mock draft and a good discussion.

Jacoby Jones pretty fumbled his way out of Houston and the Texans have always looked for that impact WR to run alongside Andre Johnson. Wright fits that bill perfectly. I like Nick Perry here if Mario Williams manages to become a cap casualty.

That would make perfect sense... local radio has talked about the Texans trying to find a legit threat on the other side (a la Julio Jones to Atlanta) that could ultimately become a #1 down the road. Wright is legit.

Speaking of legit WRs, I would do backflips if Alshon Jeffrey made it to the Bears as you've mocked. I doubt it happens. :wacko:

Value is always relative to need. BTW, wasn't that DB a first round pick? We also saw the price paid for Julio Jones this year. Point being, it just takes one team.

Absolutely correct.

Just saying he may command better compensation as there are multiple teams that really need an upgrade at the position and he is obviously NFL ready day one.

Kolb had 319 pass attempts in 4 seasons with Philadelphia. Flynn has had 132 in 4 seasons with Green Bay. That's not a great deal in the grand scheme of things, but if you factor that Kolb had that much more experience than Flynn, and factor that the best pick they got was a mid-2nd (a year in advance), and that Kolb did not have a successful first season in Phoenix.....well, to me that all adds up to being highly questionable as to whether someone will be willing to give a greater package for Flynn than what Arizona gave up for Kolb.

Nice work but I see no way Richardson or Floyd are drafted in the top 10. They may be good fantasy players some day but they are not going top 10 in the NFL.

The RB value in today's NFL forces them down even though he is a solid talent. I am sure we will see lots of Mocks with Richardson going that high but even with the lower price points of rookies I would be stunned if a RB goes that high. Tampa has a terrible defense and will/should go that direction. Look for a DB with that pick, Clairborne or Kirpatrick. These are high impact players that will allow safeties to help shore up their awful run support. I could see them going Kuechley but probably won't due to positional value of MLB's.

Floyd is simply not talented enough to be a top tier pick. Floyd may start getting looks around the Bears pick but doubt he even goes that high.

I also don't think the Chiefs take a guard that high. They will probably go DT . Guards simply do not go that high due to positional value. I do think he is a great prospect and a solid pick but if a reach is made on this position it will probably be a team like the Cowboys at 14. Still too high for Guards IMO but he is a very good player.

Could be wrong but if those 3 go where you say then you will be the greatest Mock Drafter ever.

This is not the first mock that I've seen Richardson go to Tampa. FWIW

25) Denver Broncos - Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State

A big run stuffer in the middle to help Broderick Bunkley inside. The Broncos defense solidified down the stretch but Marcus Thomas isn't the long-term answer. Cox would be the interior presence the Broncos need in the hard-running AFC West.

27) New England Patriots (from New Orleans) - Mark Barron SS Alabama

The Patriots secondary was a disaster all year. Pat Chung was the lone bright spot but he can't seem to stay healthy. Belichick was signing street free agents to play free safety. Grabbing Barron here to shore up the Patriot secondary would be a wise play.

28) Green Bay Packers - Nick Perry 3-4 OLB Southern California

A sore spot for the Packers, Perry provides an immediate upgrade opposite Clay Matthews. Wouldn't be surprised if GB goes for Chase Minnifield if Perry goes before this.

29) New York Giants - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia

The Giants still need to work on their aging offensive line. Eli is slinging it a lot lately but I'm sure they'd like to retain the ability to run it down their opponents' throats. Glenn is roadgrader that could also be a swing tackle who will aid in the running game.

30) Baltimore Ravens - Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona State

The Ray Lewis successor, complete with a mean streak. Burfict is a brutal hitter with good to great instincts. Ozzie Newsome has made it known that the next big ILB to play for Baltimore may be drafted this spring. Burfict would be a good fit.

31) San Francisco 49ers - Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers

I'm not the first mocker to call Sanu to the 49ers but he makes a lot of sense. Braylon Edwards was a colossal free agent flop and Michael Crabtree will need a threat on the other side to keep defenses honest. Sanu played for Rutgers so he knows how to block which should help his chances to stick in San Fran.

32) New England Patriots - Zac Brown 4-3 OLB North Carolina

More defense for New England who also struggled to field a decent LB corps throughout the year. Brown is a talented player who should be able to give the Patriots the versatility they want and the playmaking they need.

I'd like the Niners to go after a WR as well. Mostly I like the thought of them picking from one of the last two spots in the draft, though I'd prefer it be from the last pick, not the 2nd to last one. :wacko:

This is not the first mock that I've seen Richardson go to Tampa. FWIW

Agree and we will see many more with him in the top 5. I personally don't think he will go that high though. There are 3 solid top 3 round backs from a prospect point of view and only two top tier DB's. I just think the top tier DB's are much harder to come by and this is a huge position of need. The QB's and offenses in general killed the Bucs so bad they finished last or close to last in multiple categories on defense. An impact DB will help big time in pass defense and allow safeties to help more in run support.

Richardson is worthy of a high pick but the NFL downgrades the position due to scheme and injury risk. A top 5 pick for a RB with the depth of defense on the board makes me think Richardson has a high probibility to fall in this draft.

He could go that high as he will/should grade very high, I just don't see him going top 10 even though he is clearly the top back on the board going into the combine.

tampa can still get a rb like lamar miller, david wilson, chris polk, lamichael james or doug martin with their pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. miller most likely will go in the late first, but all those other guys are solid backs that would be there in the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd round for tampa. richardson is a beast, but i could see him lasting to the picks 11-13 range. if washington trades up with st louis for rg3, then i could see st louis taking richardson at #6 cuz blackmon and claiborne would both be gone to cleveland and tampa....otherwise i dont see him going in the top 10.

I guess I don't see Vince Jackson leaving and a receiving corps of him, Floyd, Vince Brown and Gates should be enough to pass on him in favor of defense. A 3-4 DE or a 3-4 rush OLB are the needs the way I see it. Maybe even a corner should Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason continue to be less than adequate.

I guess I don't see Vince Jackson leaving and a receiving corps of him, Floyd, Vince Brown and Gates should be enough to pass on him in favor of defense. A 3-4 DE or a 3-4 rush OLB are the needs the way I see it. Maybe even a corner should Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason continue to be less than adequate.

Hopefully we sign Super Mario and won't have to deal with a LB.

If you don't see V.Jackson leaving, your nuts. No way in hell the Chargers slap the FT on him again. I'd love to see him stay, but AJ is an idiot.

I don't see the tag getting used on Jackson again but rather I think a medium term deal gets done for him with the Chargers. San Diego has enough holes without adding receiver into the mix.

Whats the FT for WR's this year.....actually...this should be a topic. I'm too lazy to do it. I know the RB FT number is around $7mill

Whats the FT for WR's this year.....actually...this should be a topic. I'm too lazy to do it. I know the RB FT number is around $7mill

Just saw this thread started by Bring Back Pat, which has the info you're looking for

Wide receiver: $9.4 million (down from 11.4 million in 2011, $9.5 million in 2010)

link

My take is this.

The Packers will sign Finley to a long term contract then Franchise tag Flynn. I still think he ends up with Miami but it will be as a result of a trade.

Flynn would easily command a top 10 pick in this draft or a 2nd this year and a 1st next season and the Packers would be very foolish to let him walk without compensation. Flynn will command a 50-60 million dollar type contract so risking 14 million is nothing given he would be traded to a team that will negotiate a long term deal anyway.

In my view, he is way better Franchise tag than Finley. Miami may still get him but they will pay a high pick for the privilege.

I don't see Flynn getting tagged in any situation. Just doesn't fit what Ted has done.

I see Flynn walking via FA, as tagging him and not finding a suitor would be disasterous... just get a 3 next year in comp pick and move on.

Finley being re-signed, if not, getting the tag and working it out in 2012.

But most importantly, RESIGN SCOTT WELLS