[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers Offseason

Ditkaless Wonders

• 3 months later...

Good bye Mr. Collins. I will miss you. Here's to a long and healthy life.

This is a tough one. Collins might be my favorite Packer player ever... He's responsible for my favorite player/football moment ever with his pick 6 in the Super Bowl. It's a shame his career was cut short by an injury.

I really like the Perry pick and think Ted has done it yet again. Perry is a high motor guy and has a very nice strength/speed combo on the edge. It will be interesting to see whether GB decides to use him as a OLB, a DE, or a combination of both (OLB on 1st and 2nd downs, DE in 3rd down/obvious passing situations) Perry has enough size & athleticism that he could pull off doing both. While that's not great for FF value unless he gets tagged as a DE - in which case his stock would skyrocket - it fits GB's D well and makes for a great complement for Matthews.

I really like the Perry pick and think Ted has done it yet again. Perry is a high motor guy and has a very nice strength/speed combo on the edge. It will be interesting to see whether GB decides to use him as a OLB, a DE, or a combination of both (OLB on 1st and 2nd downs, DE in 3rd down/obvious passing situations) Perry has enough size & athleticism that he could pull off doing both. While that's not great for FF value unless he gets tagged as a DE - in which case his stock would skyrocket - it fits GB's D well and makes for a great complement for Matthews.

It really depends how he will be used. I have doubts about how he can play in space at OLB, and if he is just used as a rusher at LB, I am not sure I want Mathews reducing his looks. If he played at DE I am not sure he can hold the point of attack at DE and anchor the end of the line. I would be happy if he can play DE and get a little bulk and provide a pass rush. If strictly a OLB I would have liked Branch instead, but "in Ted we trust".

Why is this? I'm not in an IDP league, but we might go this route soon so I'm curious how this matters.

Because he'll be limited in what he does as a LB by having TE coverage responsibility, meaning he won't get in on as many tackles as a typical LB, since he'll not only have that coverage responsibility but also will have to deal with double teaming/TE combine blocks at the point of attack on running plays.

However, as an outside LB, he'll still be responsible for QB pressure on some plays as well as getting a lot more tackles than traditional DEs. So if he gets to put his hand on the ground enough in passing situations to be labeled a DE, he'll get a lot of opportunities most DEs won't to accumulate points. These hybrid type DEs are worth their weight in gold in mandatory start-2DE leagues. Think Justin Smith.

If one believes robust competition in training camp can make a unit better the Packers defense is up for improvement. With all the draft choices guys are going to be competing for jobs.

I think Worthy and Perry are day one starters.

Casey Hayward is a threat to Sam Shields in the nickel packages. Mayock said he has the best instincts and the second best ball skills behind Claibourne in this draft.

Dom Capers was glowing when talking about Daniels. I can see him inserting himself in Nickel packages as a 3 technique DT and give the Packers some pass rush help.

I love Terrell Manning and think he'll push AJ Hawk, and even if he doesn't "start", he'll see plenty of time on the field.

Ecstatic.

Welcome to the club. I'm telling you, he's going to take Hawks job. Maybe out of TC, maybe during the season, but it's going to happen. The only thing that may stop him is injury.

I hope so. Hawk is rarely coming forward when and if he makes a tackle, always sideways or backward. The only time he comes forward is to not get pressure on the Q.B., or when he gets suckered by fake and should be holding his groung or moving backward or laterally with a receiver. It would be nice to save his salary and to spend it securing Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews or Bulaga.

I hope so. Hawk is rarely coming forward when and if he makes a tackle, always sideways or backward.

Reminds me of the first several years of Nick Barnett's career - always made plenty of tackles, and seemed to be the guy who would generally keep a 5 yd gain from rupturing into something bigger, but never took it to anyone.

IIRC Hawk's contract is structured so that there's really no advantage money-wise to cutting him this year, so I would assume even if he gets beat out he'll stick on the roster.

Welcome to the club. I'm telling you, he's going to take Hawks job. Maybe out of TC, maybe during the season, but it's going to happen. The only thing that may stop him is injury.

...to continue with one more observation, I figured Hawk, if he continued to play like he did in '11 as opposed to '10, was probably going to have to fight off DJ Smith, as well - Smith was like Desmond Bishop Jr out there (this is a compliment).

...to continue with one more observation, I figured Hawk, if he continued to play like he did in '11 as opposed to '10, was probably going to have to fight off DJ Smith, as well - Smith was like Desmond Bishop Jr out there (this is a compliment).

Oh, I think DJ Smith will be in the competition as well. I like Smith a lot, but I think Manning could be a monster next to Bishop.