[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's all about the rings, right?

keggerz

No it isn't all about the rings, as evidenced by Mustofbeendrunk's post.

If Brady wins a 4th he'll continue to build his legacy/dynasty as one of the best ever. Of couse he had some pretty good defenses in the early years, and a great coach. (Also a geat point by SEC=UGA showing what Cassell did that one year when Brady was out, showing the Pats system could make an average QB look pretty amazing.)

If Eli wins another one he'll be considered approaching one of the best of his era. But he has a lot of help from the defense, and a pretty good set of WR and RB as well.

If you're looking at Brady and the two Mannings I think it is pretty obvious that Peyton gets a lot more credit for his teams result than Eli, and more than Brady (at least prior to this year).

Tom Brady 2007:

65.7% comp

28 TD

13 INT

4398 Yds

Matt Cassel 2008:

63.4% comp

21 TD

11 INT

3693 Yds

Matt Cassel 2009 KC:

55% comp

16 TD

16 INT

2924 Yds.

P. Mannning 2010:

66.3% comp

33 TD

17 INT

4700 yds.

Colts QBs 2011:

56.5% comp

14 TD

14 INT

3223 yds.

The Patriots have a VERY good and great coach team that Brady is playing behind.

Those are not his stats from 2007, these are:

68.9% comp

50 td

8 int

4806 yds

So matt cassell gets the same team but has way worse stats, quite a different picture than what it says up there

There are a lot of coaches around the league, who should be fired. A lot of them is unable to create a system that makes an average QB elite.

Apparently it is quite easy, from what I often read on different forums.

It's hard to compare current QB's (Brady, Peyton, Eli, ect) to past QB's (Montana, Elway, Marino, ect) because the NFL started changing the rules towards offense. You can't hit QB's anymore, WR's can't be touched after 5 yards (awful rule IMO), & you can't crush WR's who goes across the middle just to name a few differences. When Mario threw for 5,000 yards only 2 other QB's reached 4,000. This year 3 QB's topped 5,000 yards & I believe 12 (I could be off) were over 4,000. It's a different game now so comparing stats doesn't work.

My ranking of current QB's (based on their careers to this point)

1. Peyton Manning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Rodgers

5. Eli Manning

6. Roethlisberger

I still think there is a solid gap between number 4 & 5/6. I expect Rodgers to get past Brees and possibly get up with Manning / Brady before his career is done. I don't think it is all about the rings, but, performance when it counts the most does play a part.

My ranking of QB's that I got to watch play:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Brady

3. Montana

4. Marino

5. Elway

6. Young

7. Favre

8. Brees

9. Rodgers

10. Fouts

ETA: Complete forgot about Rodgers. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

FWIW, Elway may be better than both. That dude took some bad Broncos teams to SB's on his abilities alone.

Yeah, exactly - well, the Broncos DID have some good defenses and a few borderline HoF-caliber players on D, but Elway carried those offenses.

Anyway, what Elway did in Denver from 86-89 arguably more impressive than 97-98.

It's hard to compare current QB's (Brady, Peyton, Eli, ect) to past QB's (Montana, Elway, Marino, ect) because the NFL started changing the rules towards offense. You can't hit QB's anymore, WR's can't be touched after 5 yards (awful rule IMO), & you can't crush WR's who goes across the middle just to name a few differences. When Mario threw for 5,000 yards only 2 other QB's reached 4,000. This year 3 QB's topped 5,000 yards & I believe 12 (I could be off) were over 4,000. It's a different game now so comparing stats doesn't work.

It does if you compare players vs their peers.

What it comes down to is to be "elite" a player should be thought of as one of the VERY top (2 or 3) at his position for a significant stretch - say, 5 yrs or more.

Is Eli being punished for playing during possibly a banner era as far as QB play goes? Maybe. But even so, compared to the league average, he's only been REALLY good statistically for about 2 seasons of his career; and it isn't as if he's carrying those NY teams on his back - he's had PLENTY of support from defense and running game most years.