[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl XLII

matt770

Starting this week, every talking head will be yapping about the "rematch" and ESPN/NLFN will be showing highlights ad nauseum from that SB.

Just want to weigh in as a Giants fan...I could give a rat's ass, and I wish they were playing the Ravens so the game would be covered from a different angle. That game four years ago was about as perfect as it gets -- talk to any fan and they will say they couldn't have written the script any better. We all know the sequence of events, Pats with the perfect season and the records, the Giants' three road playoff wins, coming into the SB as big underdogs and winning one of the most tense and thrilling Super Bowls ever. If you watch a lot of football and your heart races when your team is in a close game, that's the pinnacle, that moment when you realize they did it, they won it all. I hope all you guys have a chance to experience that feeling someday.

My main point here is that NOTHING could ever top that moment, and I refuse to think about this upcoming game for one nanosecond in any kind of context with SBXLII. It's four years later, both teams have a lot of new personnel...and, parallels with that season aside, nothing from the past will matter on Feb. 5. Losing this game would be devastating, and thinking back to 2008 would be of no comfort, for me anyway. I want this win really, really bad.

I'm already sick of the talk of "revenge" and "exorcising demons", and it hasn't even begun yet. We can all fill in the blanks, the media is that predictable. I can only imagine how the players will cringe every time those questions are repeated over and over. I could also give a rat's ass about what this game means for Eli's legacy and where he stands in comparison to Brady, his brother or any other QB past or present. I just want to root for my team. There will be plenty of time to talk about legacies in years to come, when all the data is in and we actually have the perspective to make such judgments.

Just my :wacko:

I agree. The only way this game could be revenge for the Pats would be if the Giants were undefeated going into it.

I'll bet you're in the minority on that. Probably a good chunk of Pats fans really see this as a chance for vengeance. I wonder if Belicheat will use it as a motivational tool.

Starting this week, every talking head will be yapping about the "rematch" and ESPN/NLFN will be showing highlights ad nauseum from that SB.

Just want to weigh in as a Giants fan...I could give a rat's ass, and I wish they were playing the Ravens so the game would be covered from a different angle. That game four years ago was about as perfect as it gets -- talk to any fan and they will say they couldn't have written the script any better. We all know the sequence of events, Pats with the perfect season and the records, the Giants' three road playoff wins, coming into the SB as big underdogs and winning one of the most tense and thrilling Super Bowls ever. If you watch a lot of football and your heart races when your team is in a close game, that's the pinnacle, that moment when you realize they did it, they won it all. I hope all you guys have a chance to experience that feeling someday.

My main point here is that NOTHING could ever top that moment, and I refuse to think about this upcoming game for one nanosecond in any kind of context with SBXLII. It's four years later, both teams have a lot of new personnel...and, parallels with that season aside, nothing from the past will matter on Feb. 5. Losing this game would be devastating, and thinking back to 2008 would be of no comfort, for me anyway. I want this win really, really bad.

I'm already sick of the talk of "revenge" and "exorcising demons", and it hasn't even begun yet. We can all fill in the blanks, the media is that predictable. I can only imagine how the players will cringe every time those questions are repeated over and over. I could also give a rat's ass about what this game means for Eli's legacy and where he stands in comparison to Brady, his brother or any other QB past or present. I just want to root for my team. There will be plenty of time to talk about legacies in years to come, when all the data is in and we actually have the perspective to make such judgments.

I too am a Giant fan. However, I'm relishing the prospect of playing against the Pats again. I don't feel that the 2008 SB will be cheapened in any way and that it'll stand up in Giant lore on it's own merit. I'd rather beat the best out there for the title. If anything, the only thing that cheapens it in any way is that we never had to beat NO to get where we are.

Can only imagine your pain...the majority opinion was that the Giants would not have had a snowball's chance in hell of winning at New Orleans. Our last few meetings down there have been putrid.

Nah, you guys definitely deserve to be there. Our offense may have been better, but now that the D has come around the Gints are a better all-around team. I thought the same of the 49ers since their offense was playing better. I'm hoping Spags is the key for us next year and gives us the first Superbowl on home turf. :wacko:

Nah, you guys definitely deserve to be there. Our offense may have been better, but now that the D has come around the Gints are a better all-around team. I thought the same of the 49ers since their offense was playing better. I'm hoping Spags is the key for us next year and gives us the first Superbowl on home turf. :wacko:

The Saints with an elite defense is a scary prospect.

I too am a Giant fan. However, I'm relishing the prospect of playing against the Pats again. I don't feel that the 2008 SB will be cheapened in any way and that it'll stand up in Giant lore on it's own merit. I'd rather beat the best out there for the title. If anything, the only thing that cheapens it in any way is that we never had to beat NO to get where we are.

I wouldn't say the Giants' run is cheapened by the fact they didn't play New Orleans, Jeebus, they beat the 1st and 2nd seed to get to the Super Bowl!

I've always liked the Giants, but come Super Bowl Sunday, I'll be rooting for the Patriots. And no, I don't think this will be revenge of any sort. I'm pretty sure that if the Pats win the game, Brady still won't be able to watch game film from the previous Super Bowl that they lost.

IMO, the most intriguing stories heading into this SB:

• Cruz, an undrafted walk-on WR that was almost cut by the team, was arguably the most critical piece of the Giants' run other than Eli. You could argue they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him.
  • The Pats' use of their two tight ends and the numbers they put up, their lack of a traditional vertical attack with tall and speedy outside WRs, despite having a QB who once threw for 50 TDs. The utter flop that Ochocinco turned out to be for the Pats. This is one of the more unusual offenses the league has ever seen.
  • Gronkowski: is he even human?
  • Jason Pierre-Paul -- everyone is saying he's the next big defensive superstar and this game could propel him there in a hurry if he comes up big.
  • The Pats defense -- how putrid they were for most of the season and how they stepped up in the playoffs. Edelman playing on defense is another example of Belichick making something out of spare parts. Whether they can slow down the Giants enough to keep their offense within a score is going to be really interesting.
  • Coughlin, the league's oldest head coach and one of the least appreciated by the home fans. Many were calling for his head this very season. Everyone will be talking about what this game means to Eli's legacy, but for Coughlin it's pretty hugh as well. If he wins this game, does he get carte blanche to coach until he's damn good and ready to retire? Whenever that may be?

IMO, the most intriguing stories heading into this SB:

• Cruz, an undrafted walk-on WR that was almost cut by the team, was arguably the most critical piece of the Giants' run other than Eli. You could argue they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him.
  • The Pats' use of their two tight ends and the numbers they put up, their lack of a traditional vertical attack with tall and speedy outside WRs, despite having a QB who once threw for 50 TDs. The utter flop that Ochocinco turned out to be for the Pats. This is one of the more unusual offenses the league has ever seen.
  • Gronkowski: is he even human?
  • Jason Pierre-Paul -- everyone is saying he's the next big defensive superstar and this game could propel him there in a hurry if he comes up big.
  • The Pats defense -- how putrid they were for most of the season and how they stepped up in the playoffs. Edelman playing on defense is another example of Belichick making something out of spare parts. Whether they can slow down the Giants enough to keep their offense within a score is going to be really interesting.
  • Coughlin, the league's oldest head coach and one of the least appreciated by the home fans. Many were calling for his head this very season. Everyone will be talking about what this game means to Eli's legacy, but for Coughlin it's pretty hugh as well. If he wins this game, does he get carte blanche to coach until he's damn good and ready to retire? Whenever that may be?

In regards to the observation about the Pat's defense, it kind of reminds me of the Colt's defense during their run to the '08 Super Bowl. There were flat out crappy, and some how turned it around for the playoffs.

I think Coughlin has already proven that he is a pretty good coach, even before the Giants. Taking two different teams to the playoffs with some success...well, where there is smoke, there is fire. He ain't bad.

They get to coach the Pro Bowl against each other don't they?

No, that is how it used to work (coaches of teams losing in conference championship games were the staffs for the Pro Bowl) but not anymore. I read something the other day that now the coaching of the highest seeded team to lose in the divisional round of each conference will coach in the Pro Bowl. That would mean Packers in the NFC and Texans in the AFC.

NFL Pro Bowl coaches

The reasoning I had seen behind this is due to the movement of Pro Bowl from after he Super Bowl to the week before. Using the losing coaches from conf champ weekend gave them too little time to prepare and took them away from the end of season stuff (interviews with players, etc.). Coaches who lost the previous week have had time to take care of this stuff and an extra week to coach the all star teams.

Edited by stevegrab

Good post. I agree completely. I'm already sick of hearing about that Super Bowl, and it is only Tuesday of Week 1. I know a lot of what your feeling. You won't be as devastated as you think if the Giants lose, but, it will still suck. The Steelers won their first Super Bowl, since I've been old enough to enjoy it, months after my Dad passed away, so, that one will always be extremely special to me. However, that was one of the worst Super Bowls ever, with the officiating controversy and the overall weak play. The Super Bowl win over the Cardinals was a thriller, and watching your team win that kind of game is something that you remember forever as a fan. When the Steelers lost last year, I was over it pretty quickly. I just felt that the Packers clearly out-played them and were the better team. I didn't feel like the Steelers beat themselves. Of course it always sucks when your team makes it that far and loses, but, I was surprising over it very quickly.

Not being a fan of either team, I'm just hoping for a game even close to as entertaining as the last one, which was clearly one of the most entertaining Super Bowls ever. Though I doubt it lives up to that one, I do think it is an interesting match-up and should produce an entertaining show for us. I can't wait. I wish they didn't put the week in between the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Nah, you guys definitely deserve to be there. Our offense may have been better, but now that the D has come around the Gints are a better all-around team. I thought the same of the 49ers since their offense was playing better. I'm hoping Spags is the key for us next year and gives us the first Superbowl on home turf. :tup:

Has a team ever played a Super Bowl on their home turf ? :wacko: I don't think that has happened, but, maybe I'm wrong.

at least we don't have to watch Harbaugh bios all week. Bring on the Gisele pics.

....or the pics of how pregnant Brady's ex was with his child when he dumped her for a hotter piece. :wacko::tup:

Has a team ever played a Super Bowl on their home turf ? :wacko: I don't think that has happened, but, maybe I'm wrong.

Don't think it ever happened. I know the SF 49ers played once at a college (Stanford?) nearby, but no NFL team has played a SB in their home stadium.

:tup:

OK, it was Stanford, SB XIX in 1985 vs MIA.

The LA Rams also played in one in Pasadena (SB XIV vs PIT in 1980).

Wow, SB XLVII following next season will be the 7th SB held in the SuperDome (now with a new name), and the 10 held in New Orleans (ties Miami for 10 times as host city

list of Super Bowl champions

Nope, and I've said for years that the random selection of the SB venue is really bad because someday a team will have homefield advantage just on blind luck. When that happens, get ready for some major whining by the other team and their fans.