[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texans will let Super Mario walk?

tazinib1

:wacko:

I understand that the Texans have 2 young studs in JJ Watt and Brooks Reed. But how the hell do you justify letting Mario Williams walk? He'll demand top $ I'm sure. If this is indeed the case, its time for AJ Smith to earn his salary.

The Falcons if they stay in a 4-3 would be a great landing place for him (Abraham is getting loooong in the tooth)...and he would be a monster in Motown too...but don't know if or how they could afford him.

Edited by keggerz

The North County Times suggests that the Chargers may make an offseason run at free agent Mario Williams.

Beat writer Scott Bair is only speculating, but the dots connect. Williams held his own in five early-season starts (five sacks, forced fumble) in Wade Phillips' new 3-4 scheme this past season, and new Chargers DC John Pagano is a former Phillips pupil. Williams' ideal position remains 4-3 defensive end, but he'll probably go where the money is best. On Monday, Texans coach Gary Kubiak did indicate an interest in re-signing Williams before free agency. Jan 16 - 1:34 PM

Source: North County Times

I love speculating. :pantstight:

I know a team that has a nice linebacker who's on the wrong side of 32 and munched his knee with a few minutes left in week 17 this season...

And I traded for him this year. :wacko: Coming off MCL and PCL tears in his knee is a concern but he's owed $8 million in 2012 with a $500k workout bonus. Don't be surprised if they give him a short term revised extension.

Update

The franchise tag is not believed to be an option for the Texans in retaining free agent Mario Williams.

Williams earned $18 million in 2011. The mandatory franchise-tag raise would push his 2012 salary to a prohibitive $22.9 million, leaving Williams with quite a bit of leverage in contract talks. Williams' preference is to stay in Houston, but his agent surely realizes there's a good chance the best pass rusher on the market will break the bank in free agency. The Chargers and Raiders are two of the many teams sure to be interested if Williams hits the open market.

Source: Houston Chronicle

:wacko: Time to earn that extension AJ!!