[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

rumor has it . . .

CaptainHook

Also read this. While it reads head coach, It makes me wonder if maybe he's being considered for OC if they hire a defensive minded HC.

The Indianapolis Colts are considering Marc Trestman for their vacant head coaching position according to Chris Zelkovich of the Toronto Star.

According to ESPN, the National Football League team interviewed the Alouettes head coach last weekend.

Trestman, who has guided the Alouettes to two Grey Cup championships in his four seasons in Montreal, has one year left on his deal with the Canadian Football League team.

Also read this. While it reads head coach, It makes me wonder if maybe he's being considered for OC if they hire a defensive minded HC.

Did you maybe mean the Colts will hire him as defensive coordinator? Because that is the position he currently holds with the Bengals. Would be surprised to see him hired as a OC when he appears to be a defensive guy.

ETA

DUH, nevermind, see what you're saying now (Colts may hire Zimmer as HC, then Trestman as OC).

I remember Trestman from somewhere else... Thought so, he was the QB Coach then OC in Cleveland for a while with Bernie Kosar (1988-89).

Good scoop (and good hire) if the rumor pans out on Zimmer. Hook's source can't be any less reliable than listening to Rob Lowe or anybody else who currently claims to know who the Colts are hiring (or what is happening with Peyton).

Edited by stevegrab

Congrats Colt fans...you got a guy who has the potential to be a great coach.

I was hoping he would stick around at least one more year but our defense is good at making some of our Defensive Coordinators look good enough to be Head Coach material (Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, and now Pagano).

Under Pagano, our defense was much more aggressive than it was the previous 3 years. He is a coach that will definitely take chances. He coached secondary in Oakland before coming to Baltimore and understands the need to pressure the opposing team's QB to generate turnovers and help the secondary.

I live in the Phoenix area - but the local guys out here are talking about the Colts new HC. They compare Pagano to Kirk Gibson of the Diamondbacks. A players coach who won't take any BS, and said he has the potential to really turn this thing around just as fast as it went south.

GLAD they brought in a defensive minded coach. Now I just hope the OC is someone who can really get this offense back on track.

With all due to him, the thing that would really turn it around is a healthy Manning. However I would love to see someone give us a truly good D. Even Dungy couldn't.

A coach can only do as much as the personnel allows. A good D starts with:

(i) a stud inside / middle linebacker, then

(ii) a shutdown corner, and only then

(iii) a solid pass rush.

Play defense first to stop the run - this has been the Colts weakness for the past 12 years.. If you succeed at that, you now have a one dimensional offense playing against you. A shutdown corner will take away your best weapon. Slap a solid pass rush and it doesn't matter what your offense can do - as long as they can get you a TD and a few FGs, you're gonna be extremely successful.

My point is this - you can be the world's greatest defensive coach, but if you don't have the players what's it matter? Bill Polian always focused on offense first and tried to build teams that just outscore the other team.. (Different sport - same concept, but how'd that work out for the Phoenix Suns??)

I mean look at some of the more recent dominant defenses. Porter and Harrison in Pittsburgh, Ray Lewis in Baltimore, Urlacher in Chicago, Bruschi (not really "stud" status but severly underrated) in New England, and Derrick Brooks of the Buccaneers. If you ask me, that's where you "start" to build a defense.