[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And the 19th Head Coach of your Oakland Raiders will be...

kpholmes

Dennis Allen!

Truthfully - I'm fired up about the hire. He'll be our first defensive head coach since Madden, he's young, he's excited, and he put together a defense that was able to keep Tebow in the game until the 4th quarter week in and week out. I think if the Raiders get out there and find an experienced offensive coordinator who can work with the talent we have - it should make for a fun year.

He has 0 reference as a HC on any level and 1 year as a coordinator. :wacko: But he's the first defensive coach since Madden....we'lll see how that works out for ya.

:tup: Can't be any worse than Norv.

He has 0 reference as a HC on any level and 1 year as a coordinator. :wacko: But he's the first defensive coach since Madden....we'lll see how that works out for ya.

um....

Mike Tomlin was selected by Vikings' head coach Brad Childress to be his defensive coordinator in 2006...Tomlin became the sixteenth Steelers head coach on January 22, 2007.

um....

Mike Tomlin was selected by Vikings' head coach Brad Childress to be his defensive coordinator in 2006...Tomlin became the sixteenth Steelers head coach on January 22, 2007.

I think we can find a single example to illustrate just about any point we want to.

I am also not sure about this hire. It's not like he didn't have a defensive mastermind supporting his in John Fox, so I'm not sure how much credit for Denver's defensive performance (of which a TON was earned) goes to him and him alone, and how much impact Fox had there.

um....

For every guy like Tomlin with limited experience who is successful as a head coach how many are a complete bust?

I understand taznib1's point.

Besides, Tomlin took over a very good team with a very good front office, both of which contributed to his success.

ETA flemingd beat me to it

Edited by stevegrab

uh yeah, Tomlin won a SB with Cowher's team, really. But as others have said you can't always get or go with guys with a long track record. Hard to say.

From what I recall, caddyman doesn't think Cowher was a very good coach. Something about it taking too long to get over the hump and finally win the SB.