[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goddell given 5-year extension

Big John

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Roddy White says its too much...

Atlanta Falcons WR Roddy White voiced his displeasure with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's salary. Goodell reportedly will make $20 million per season by the end of his current contract. 'How in the hell can you pay a man this much money that can't run, tackle or catch,' White said, via Twitter. 'The NFL is not a company, it's a nonprofit organization that makes a lot of profit.'

Wow, really. So only the players should be grossly overpaid, not the person running the league. Its also funny that he thinks the NFL is a non profit. He should take it up with the owners, including his own boss Arthur Blank, since those people are responsible for these things. Twiiter, where anybody with a smart phone can say dumb things and broadcast them to their "followers", which gaurantees that the general media eventually hears about it.

Atlanta Falcons WR Roddy White voiced his displeasure with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's salary. Goodell reportedly will make $20 million per season by the end of his current contract. 'How in the hell can you pay a man this much money that can't run, tackle or catch,' White said, via Twitter. 'The NFL is not a company, it's a nonprofit organization that makes a lot of profit.'

Wow, really. So only the players should be grossly overpaid, not the person running the league. Its also funny that he thinks the NFL is a non profit. He should take it up with the owners, including his own boss Arthur Blank, since those people are responsible for these things. Twiiter, where anybody with a smart phone can say dumb things and broadcast them to their "followers", which gaurantees that the general media eventually hears about it.

Never thought much about the NFL commish's salary, but I agree that $20 million seems like an insane amount. I think he does a great job, but jeez, that's a ridiculous sum. I would have thought the job pays a nominal amount like $300K or something.

Hard to defend that salary when there are ex-players confined to wheelchairs and drooling on themselves.

Falcons fans don't even take him seriously anymore... Roddy likes to run his mouth WAY too much...

Roddy, I saw your play this year. You may not want to be talking about inability to catch a ball.

Sure you are better than Mike Williams or Jermicheal Finley, but there are a lot of highschool players who can catch better than you. (I know, they could not get open nor run as well after the catch, but as to catching the ball, well let's just say you can do for some improvement there yourself Buddy) As for tackling, well, absent a few exceptions most of the players in the league do not understand how to do that properly, and yet they still get paid.

I hope you're joking. :wacko:

Why, he seems to be doing an outstanding job at working on watering down the game, and holding Superbowls hostage from teams that don't take their city hostage to get a shiny new stadium they don't need. :tup:

Edited by delusions of granduer

Why, he seems to be doing an outstanding job at working on watering down the game, and holding Superbowls hostage from teams that don't take their city hostage to get a shiny new stadium they don't need. :wacko:

On the subject of stadia, apparently Goodell recently said that if the NFL puts teams in LA, they will be expansion teams. In a single stroke, he cut the legs off Zygi Wilf and the implicit threat to shift the Vikings to LA if they don't get their gin palace.

I'm surprised he got Zygi's vote after that.

The funny thing about all of this is the guy who signs his paychecks is the main man in charge of determining Goodell's salary!

"Interestingly, Falcons owner Arthur Blank is the chairman of the NFL compensation committee that approved Goodell's extension through the 2018 season"

ESPN LINK

Edited by Shorttynaz

Never thought much about the NFL commish's salary, but I agree that $20 million seems like an insane amount. I think he does a great job, but jeez, that's a ridiculous sum. I would have thought the job pays a nominal amount like $300K or something.

Hard to defend that salary when there are ex-players confined to wheelchairs and drooling on themselves.

:wacko: $300K? Dude, the director of sales for the small firm my wife works for makes about that. This guy is calling the shots for a massive, massive business.

Honestly, everyone involved with the NFL is about making as much jack as they can, and rightly so. I see absolutely no reason why the commish, of all people, shouldn't get his.

:wacko: $300K? Dude, the director of sales for the small firm my wife works for makes about that. This guy is calling the shots for a massive, massive business.

Honestly, everyone involved with the NFL is about making as much jack as they can, and rightly so. I see absolutely no reason why the commish, of all people, shouldn't get his.

+1

It's a $9B (yes, BILLION) dollar a year industry!

I agree. The guy runs a billion dollar industry with 32 shareholders who each have their own agenda's in mind. He should get paid like it. Now if you want to question whether the NFL in general should be making that kind of money then we have a different discussion.

Amen.

Looks like the owners have exactly who they want there.

Goodell is a guy who is no-nonsense tough with the players (hence protecting the public image of the league, which is critical to the league remaining a money printing machine), so they don't have to worry about most of the disciplining themselves. The guy is in front of negotiations with the NFLPA (or whatever their organization is when the players pretend to disband and then sue the league for collusion) and the networks, which can also save or cost literally hundreds of millions depending upon how each shakes out. Then he has to listen to, coddle, and mollify each of the owners - which has to be like a daily cat herding assignment. Then after all of that he can go about his business of the daily running of the league.

Hard to argue given his responsibilities that he doesn't earn his pay, and he sure as hell does more for the league than one WR who drops more than his share of passes.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I agree. The guy runs a billion dollar industry with 32 shareholders who each have their own agenda's in mind. He should get paid like it. Now if you want to question whether the NFL in general should be making that kind of money then we have a different discussion.

I would have assumed that the bulk of those billions were shared by the 32 franchises. The commish is entrusted with the integrity of the game and I just assumed that position would be paid a nominal salary. Someone in that role getting such an obscene amount of money seems odd to me. Obama only makes $400K for crissakes. I don't question the NFL's profits in general, I was just surprised they pay the commish that much.

I would have assumed that the bulk of those billions were shared by the 32 franchises. The commish is entrusted with the integrity of the game and I just assumed that position would be paid a nominal salary. Someone in that role getting such an obscene amount of money seems odd to me. Obama only makes $400K for crissakes. I don't question the NFL's profits in general, I was just surprised they pay the commish that much.

You do realize that while a President only make "$400k" that the actual monetary value of his position is obscenely more?

The funny thing about all of this is the guy who signs his paychecks is the main man in charge of determining Goodell's salary!

"Interestingly, Falcons owner Arthur Blank is the chairman of the NFL compensation committee that approved Goodell's extension through the 2018 season"

ESPN LINK

Oh Roddy, starting early this year in looking completely foolish.

There's no doubt why Blank and the other owners voted him in unanimously. Goodell is a true owner's commish, as evidenced by him saying that if Atlanta wants to have another Superbowl, they have to get a new stadium (ironically an open-air, after the issue last time was a random ice storm :wacko:)....

I'm not naive to think that that statement isn't approved by Blank, who wants the city to pony up to help him build a new stadium... I love what he's done for this beat-down franchise, but when it comes down to it he's a businessman, and one who's about to have a big battle on his hands if it turns out that this piece of property the city of Atlanta purchased is really for a new stadium on our dime. People are vehemently opposed here during a recession, but hey, apparently the role of government nowadays is to let billionaires do whatever they want with the the taxpayer footing the bill, so....

You do realize that while a President only make "$400k" that the actual monetary value of his position is obscenely more?

Beat me to it. Like every other president, Obama will be able to parlay his presidency into an on-going fat pay-day for the rest of time. Obama, like every other president before him, has just punched his ticket to be set for life. Assuming he has any interest in capitalizing on it.

Let us also not forget that the owners, the guys who hired and pay him, all decided that's what he's worth. He didn't hold out or anything. The guys who are paying apparently like what he's doing.

The funny thing is that, to a man, players are all about not sweating a guy for getting paid. Which is actually quite noble when you consider that, by definition, the pot they're all drawing from is finite by design. So, in other words, all these players are competing for the same dollars. Yet, when it comes to another player getting his, they're cool with it. Goodell's money has nothing to do with theirs. They've already signed a deal that says the teams are required to pay them, collectively, a minimum of x dollars. They can't come to them and say, "Sorry dude, we just gave Goodell a fat raise and that money's got to come from somewhere." Which is actually something they can legitimately say when they've opened their wallets for another player.

Which makes White's comments even more idiotic.

I don't think he does. Seriously. To compare the salary of a public servant to that of the leader of an extremely successful private entity is silly at best. Even if the president did not benefit in ways other than his salary, the comparison does not wash. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that make more than 400k. So what.