[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goddell given 5-year extension

Big John

I don't think he does. Seriously. To compare the salary of a public servant to that of the leader of an extremely successful private entity is silly at best. Even if the president did not benefit in ways other than his salary, the comparison does not wash. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that make more than 400k. So what.

Yeah, but they don't get to keep that 400k and then get comped private jets, helicopters, scores of bodyguards, etc. That 400k take home position is probably worth, what, a few million annually in the perks he gets as dressing of the office?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought much about the NFL commish's salary, but I agree that $20 million seems like an insane amount. I think he does a great job, but jeez, that's a ridiculous sum. I would have thought the job pays a nominal amount like $300K or something.

Hard to defend that salary when there are ex-players confined to wheelchairs and drooling on themselves.

I saw an article that was talking about this, and it said that NBA Commish David Stern makes like $23 million, and their revenue pot is much smaller. So while these amounts are ridiculous, so are the salaries of many in sports and entertainment. But they are paid based on how much value they provide, the ability to generate revenue.

Many others have commented on your post, and covered the topic well.

I saw an article that was talking about this, and it said that NBA Commish David Stern makes like $23 million, and their revenue pot is much smaller. So while these amounts are ridiculous, so are the salaries of many in sports and entertainment. But they are paid based on how much value they provide, the ability to generate revenue.

Many others have commented on your post, and covered the topic well.

That's ridiculous too. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be paid like crazy good, but $20M? $23M? That's just.... absurd. It actually makes me sick to my stomach.

That's ridiculous too. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be paid like crazy good, but $20M? $23M? That's just.... absurd. It actually makes me sick to my stomach.

What amount do you consider to be equitable compensation that you would allow the commish of the NFL to earn?

Yea, I'm kind of in the same boat. I also don't really like Goodell's handling of a lot of issues (setting himself up as judge and appellate).

He oversees a wildly successful gigantic business. I have no issues at all with his income. There are several movie stars as an example that make that kind of coin per movie.

It is a lot of money but the market is what it is.

Yea, I'm kind of in the same boat.

Same question. What is the maximum amount of compensation that you'd allow the commish to make? Would you also set a maximum allowable wage for each player?

I also don't really like Goodell's handling of a lot of issues (setting himself up as judge and appellate).

You mean like a CEO does based upon the company code of behavior and what the contract with the union - approved by that union and its constituents - allows? This is a private enterprise, after all.

Obviously I didn't understand how the commish's role is seen by the league. To me, he is more of a public servant in that his most critical duties relate to the integrity of the game -- handing down suspensions for substance abuse and other offenses, rules issues, etc. Therefore I assumed he would earn a modest salary. Some people might raise an eyebrow when someone in that type of role is making a fortune, something about it seems off. Kind of like a preacher driving a Rolls. But I guess it's commensurate with the profits the NFL generates, which are enormous.

I think of the 32 owners as collectively the "CEO" of the NFL if you will, in that they are the ones with the capital investment in their franchises and they make the operating decisions for their teams that affect profitability. I've never thought of the commish in that light. But like I said, I never gave it a lot of thought. $20 million just strikes me as a hell of a lot of money and as I alluded in my first post, I sure hope they are taking care of their retired players if they are throwing that kind of money at the commissioner.

In my opinion, Goodell is worth what he is making. And why just throw the $20mil number out? Isn't that his salary a couple of years down the road? Its like in any business though, you have to pay to keep talent. He would be able to go manage other private companies and possibly make more money then he is now. I think sometimes we get too caught up in comparing what we are making to what these guys do.

I would have assumed that the bulk of those billions were shared by the 32 franchises. The commish is entrusted with the integrity of the game and I just assumed that position would be paid a nominal salary. Someone in that role getting such an obscene amount of money seems odd to me. Obama only makes $400K for crissakes. I don't question the NFL's profits in general, I was just surprised they pay the commish that much.

I can't see why the NFL, a for-profit entity regardless of what Roddy Idiot White thinks, should be any different to any other for-profit company and pay it's CEO what they think he's worth. I happen to believe that particular arms race has become out of hand and is laced with a large spoonful of corruption anyway but this particular case might be different in that the guys doing the paying are 32 members of what amounts to a cartel.

I can't see why the NFL, a for-profit entity regardless of what Roddy Idiot White thinks, should be any different to any other for-profit company and pay it's CEO what they think he's worth. I happen to believe that particular arms race has become out of hand and is laced with a large spoonful of corruption anyway but this particular case might be different in that the guys doing the paying are 32 members of what amounts to a cartel.

This was kind of my thinking in why Goodell is compensated like he is... He's the bridge between players and 32 owners in their quasi-legal cartel to keep the golden goose crapping out golden eggs.

This was kind of my thinking in why Goodell is compensated like he is... He's the bridge between players and 32 owners in their quasi-legal cartel to keep the golden goose crapping out golden eggs.

Could you imagine the task of just keeping those 32 owners together, especially with guys like Jerry Jones, Jerry Richardson, Dan Snyder & the Glazers not to mention the players? :wacko:

Not $20M.

I think we gathered that. So what's your number and what do you base it on? There are top execs of financial firms who've been coughing up blood making that kind of money. As others mentioned, there are actors churning out absolute dreck making that much coin per flick or at least that much per year. I mean, what was Ben Stiller making when he was churning out seemingly 4-5 chighty movies per year? There are out of shape big men in the NBA limping through the back ends of contracts making that.

But here's a guy who has been hired by the owners to make key decisions for a massively profitable company. One that is literally printing money and he's not worth this kind of jack? I mean, sure, it's unfortunate that policemen and firemen and teachers make a fraction of this and all that. But is Goodell the only person alive that we're going to hold to that standard?

I think we gathered that. So what's your number and what do you base it on? There are top execs of financial firms who've been coughing up blood making that kind of money. As others mentioned, there are actors churning out absolute dreck making that much coin per flick or at least that much per year. I mean, what was Ben Stiller making when he was churning out seemingly 4-5 chighty movies per year? There are out of shape big men in the NBA limping through the back ends of contracts making that.

But here's a guy who has been hired by the owners to make key decisions for a massively profitable company. One that is literally printing money and he's not worth this kind of jack? I mean, sure, it's unfortunate that policemen and firemen and teachers make a fraction of this and all that. But is Goodell the only person alive that we're going to hold to that standard?

One thing we can agree on...your repeatedly referring to money as "jack" is pure gold.

Not $20M.

I understand that. I'm asking that given his scope of duties and responsibilities and the financial magnitude of the league that he is responsible for, what do you consider appropriate maximum compensation that you would allow Goodell to earn? What would you deem proper compensation to be?

Obviously I didn't understand how the commish's role is seen by the league. To me, he is more of a public servant in that his most critical duties relate to the integrity of the game -- handing down suspensions for substance abuse and other offenses, rules issues, etc. Therefore I assumed he would earn a modest salary. Some people might raise an eyebrow when someone in that type of role is making a fortune, something about it seems off. Kind of like a preacher driving a Rolls. But I guess it's commensurate with the profits the NFL generates, which are enormous.

I think of the 32 owners as collectively the "CEO" of the NFL if you will, in that they are the ones with the capital investment in their franchises and they make the operating decisions for their teams that affect profitability. I've never thought of the commish in that light. But like I said, I never gave it a lot of thought. $20 million just strikes me as a hell of a lot of money and as I alluded in my first post, I sure hope they are taking care of their retired players if they are throwing that kind of money at the commissioner.

A public servant, like a cop or fireman? Sorry, but I don't see how you see him that way. He is more like a CEO of a major corporation, and the people who make the decision to hire and pay him are the owners. If they're happy I'm ok with it. If people think he is overpaid then don't support the NFL with your $$ so they don't have $9 billion to spend.

Also, if you see the owners collectively as the CEO, then at a minimum the commish is the CFO or chairman of the board.

If he were making $20 million and the commish of other major sports leagues were making a small fraction (say $1 million or less) then I could see the outrage, but this is very much in line with what others make (according to what I read somewhere). I suppose since some are hearing these kind of numbers for the first time they are in shock over how he could be paid so much.

Heck I remember when Shaq signed his 10 year $100 million deal with the Lakers that sounded like a ton of money. Now $10 million a year for a star player in any major sport is peanuts.

A public servant, like a cop or fireman? Sorry, but I don't see how you see him that way. He is more like a CEO of a major corporation, and the people who make the decision to hire and pay him are the owners. If they're happy I'm ok with it.

Just to give a bit of perspective, think if you heard the head referee of the NFL was going to make 20 mil per year. No question, it's an important job, vital to the league, the league is rolling in money, but at some point it sounds like a lot of money for the actual job. I guess I wouldn't say public servant but Goodell felt more like the owner's "agent" than anything else to me. Not saying that is good or bad, but I've never really thought CEO. Just MHO.

Now, having thought about it and more people weigh in on it, I guess it does seem to be in line with what other commissioners get paid. I think it's technically less than what Stern makes in the NBA so like someone said, the market is what the market is.

As for my previous comment... Personally I don't agree with a singular person judging the "motives" of two players running and hitting as fast as they can and then levying fines at will all while being the only person you can appeal to. I think there should be some kind of over site that can check against that power if Goodell goes to far (as he might). Maybe there is and I just don't know about it, but it sure seemed like he had too much power in that regard.

A public servant, like a cop or fireman? Sorry, but I don't see how you see him that way. He is more like a CEO of a major corporation, and the people who make the decision to hire and pay him are the owners. If they're happy I'm ok with it. If people think he is overpaid then don't support the NFL with your $$ so they don't have $9 billion to spend.

Also, if you see the owners collectively as the CEO, then at a minimum the commish is the CFO or chairman of the board.

If he were making $20 million and the commish of other major sports leagues were making a small fraction (say $1 million or less) then I could see the outrage, but this is very much in line with what others make (according to what I read somewhere). I suppose since some are hearing these kind of numbers for the first time they are in shock over how he could be paid so much.

Heck I remember when Shaq signed his 10 year $100 million deal with the Lakers that sounded like a ton of money. Now $10 million a year for a star player in any major sport is peanuts.

I honestly don't give a crap what he makes. I was surprised it's $20mil. I'm over it. But I hope they are helping the crippled ex-players, that's my biggest concern. I believe it was Real Sports that did a piece on some of these guys being in constant debilitating pain and not having adequate health insurance. That was years ago and there has since been a new CBA, so hopefully they have done something. If the league is making $9 billion a year and paying their top execs tens of millions while their ex-players are crippled and destitute, I would find that disgusting.