[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2012 class of HOF

Big John

I'm obviously not , and I agree 100%

+1.

I'm liking the classes rolling in with lots of line players.

Of this class, the only one I'm not 100% on is Doleman. But I'd probably rate him as a "bubble" guy, so it isn't as if I think he's completely undeserving.

I loved watching Doleman. He'd beat his guy around the end and knock the ball out of the quarterback's hands quite often. He was the type of guy that brought all his notes of his opponents with him to practice in his briefcase. Not many linemen came to work with a briefcase.

Best class in quite some time IMO. Not as "better than others per se but typically there are 1 or 2 who are IMO questionable. None here.

Actually, my first reaction was that there are a couple I'm not so sure about. :tup:

Butler, I obviously never saw play, but he was the last member of the secondary for the NFL's 1950's all decade team not enshrined, so I'm not going to object. Dawson and Roaf I have no qualms with. Kennedy was a fantastic player for a long time on some bad teams, and he was consistently rated as a 1st team all-pro.

Doleman, meh. Maybe I could be convinced, but I don't think of him as a HOFer. Reggie White? Yeah. Bruce Smith? Yeah......Maybe he's #3 of his era. Trying to think of who else might be. Just seems like he was a good player for a long time, not a great player. Maybe I have selective memory. :wacko:

Martin? I waver on this because he was a good RB for a long time, and obviously had the career longevity and consistency to put up all-time numbers, but was he great? Do I think of the great RB's of the game and think "Curtis Martin"? No. I wouldn't consider him one of the top RBs of the era he played in at all. He never won anything, he was a 1st Team All-Pro once. He stayed healthy and stayed good, so I guess that's enough. :lol:

Regardless, I don't know how the HOF voters can look at themselves when they leave the likes of Charles Haley and Bill Parcels off the final list anyway.

Edited by godtomsatan

I see there are some voters saying that three receiver candidates are canceling each other out. Cris Carter has better numbers than many players in now. To not have him not in the hall is like having a HOF with Jerry Rice as the only WR receiver in it as he's the only one with better numbers. But Carter is just as good at being a jerk as he was a player. That plays against him.

Edited by MikesVikes

Doleman, meh. Maybe I could be convinced, but I don't think of him as a HOFer. Reggie White? Yeah. Bruce Smith? Yeah......Maybe he's #3 of his era. Trying to think of who else might be. Just seems like he was a good player for a long time, not a great player. Maybe I have selective memory. :wacko:

Right - he kinda smacks of "compiler" to me (though averaging 10 sacks a yr over 15 yrs isn't exactly small change); but as you say, if you rank him the 3rd best DE of the 80s/early 90s....well, can you knock a guy for being behind Smith and White? It explains why he only had two All-Pro selections.

I agree Martin is sketchy in only his second year trying. Vote him I guess but make him wait...Andre has waited and deserves it over Brown and Carter. Neither of the other two have rings, they all have comparable stats but Reed was more successful. With 4 straight Super Bowl appearances.

It should go stats, then decent stats with rings, and then very good stats with appearances. Reed has very good stats with appearances. Waited his turn and got pushed out.

Foul dear sirs.

I think we're going to see fewer and fewer WRs getting in....Brown, Carter, and Reed were all top 4 at time of retirement in rec and rec yds...now as guys like Fitz, Wayne, and Andre Johnson start getting into the latter part of their careers, they're going to start ticking down the ladder.

My bet is we won't see any of the HoF-bubble WRs from the 80/90s get in (Ellard, Fryar, Rod Smith, Gary Clark) and even players who look like locks (like Brown, Carter, Reed, even Harrison for that matter) will be waiting, if they get in at all. Those guys are now in the statistical neighborhood of Derrick Mason and Hines Ward, who were/are GOOD players, but should have to buy a ticket to get into the HoF.

Now, I realize that relative to the era, those guys numbers were far more robust than they appear NOW, but I don't generally give HoF voters enough credit to realize that.

someone please shed some light as to why Cortez Kennedy got in. the guy had one good year ...maybe all time seahawks but not HOF

He was the last of the four defensive linemen listed on the NFL's All-1990's 1st Team to be enshrined into Canton. The others are Reggie White, Bruce Smith, and John Randle.

One of only six DT's to be named NFL DPOY: Alan Page, Joe Greene, Warren Sapp account for 3 of the others.

8 Pro Bowls, 3 1st Team All-NFL's.

He had one great year, and about 7 other pretty damn good years. I'm not going to cite him as an elite level player, because he played in one playoff game in his NFL career. However, his inclusion on the all-time teams speaks volumes to how he was thought of while he was still playing. I don't know if he deserves a spot more than some who were left off, but I don't think he's the most egregious of the selections made this year.