[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

French toast

nuke'em ttg

how ya have it  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What do you put on french toast

• sugar
    • syrup
    • other
    • Puddy

While we're on the subject...

French Toast, like so many other "French" dishes was likely stolen from another country's cuisine. In Spain, there's actually a dessert where they soak bread in batter of milk, sugar, eggs, and brandy, then fry it in olive oil, and top it with orange sauce. It's the best "French" toast you'll ever eat.

When we did brunch at the first restaurant I ever opened, that's how we did French Toast, also garnishing it with a drizzle of creme fraiche (which you could easily sub with thinned-out sour cream).

For the sauce, I would reduce some brandy, OJ, and orange marmalade and I'd put a bit of cinnamon in the batter. Also, I like using reasonably fresh, crusty bread like an Italian or French loaf. Let the bread soak for a very long time (a chewy, crusty bread has enough gluten that it won't fall apart like the sandwich bread that most typically use. Also, squeeze the pieces a bit to rid them of excess batter before you put them in the skillet. That prevents the unsightly skirt of batter that can ooze out of the toast and cook onto the pan.

Also, don't be shy with the olive oil. You're not deep frying it or anything, but still, don't be shy.

Butter and Maple Syrup... why have it any other way?

Here's how i make mine:

8 Pieces using regular sliced sandwich bread Nature's Own Honey Wheat is what I usually have on hand):

4 to 5 Eggs

+/- 2 Tsp Grandulated Sugar

Good bit of cinnamon (2 tsp?)

1/4 Tsp vanilla

2 shakes of Cayenne Pepper.

Dredge the bread and cook on flat top griddle at 375.

Butter and Maple Syrup... why have it any other way?

Here's how i make mine:

8 Pieces using regular sliced sandwich bread Nature's Own Honey Wheat is what I usually have on hand):

4 to 5 Eggs

+/- 2 Tsp Grandulated Sugar

Good bit of cinnamon (2 tsp?)

1/4 Tsp vanilla

2 shakes of Cayenne Pepper.

Dredge the bread and cook on flat top griddle at 375.

you put cayenne in everything, don't you?

you put cayenne in everything, don't you?

Yep.

It's good for EVERYTHING. It opens up the taste buds and allows all the flavors to flow, kinda like salt.

ETA:

I don't use it in Italian, german, polish, turkish or russian cooking.

Edited by SEC=UGA

try adding a couple thinly sliced bananas to the side that has not been flipped. Flip it and cook as normal. Its heaven I tells ya....HEAVEN!!!

:tup: that does sound good, i think Bier puts bananas in his panckes :wacko: no guy will live up ta Bier Dani might as well head to the convent now

I've always used sugar, people think that's weird :wacko:

Same here. sugar and butter.

:tup: that does sound good, i think Bier puts bananas in his panckes :wacko: no guy will live up ta Bier Dani might as well head to the convent now

Bier has a banana/Kahlua recipe in this forum somewhere that rocks. I've only made it once but will be again soon

EDIT:

"banana foster" sauce for pancakes, waffles, or french toast:

3 tbs unsalted butter

3 tbs brown sugar

2 sliced bananas

1/3 c kahlua

melt butter. add sugar. stir until well incorporated. add kahlua. cook for 2-3 min. add bananas. reduce until syrupy. serve over pancakes, waffles, french toast, or whatnot.

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Yep. I do that one a bit. In one restaurant I went with an orange, grandma, sugar, mint egg dip. Would use brioche or sourdough for it. These days my daughter's favorite is stuffed: either marscapone or cream cheese with jelly.