[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vodka Aficionadoes

Scorcher

Vodka has always been my choice for a cocktail. Quite A few years ago I really started liking Ketel One.I attributed its smoothness to the fact that it was a wheat vodka as opposed to potato. Lately out of curiosity I looked up wheat vs potato vodkas and found that the only potato vodka of note is Chopin. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any well known Vodkas that were potato and later switched to wheat, or were they always wheat? I am mainly wondering about Russian Vodkas.

Edited by Scorcher

Vodka has always been my choice for a cocktail. Quite A few years ago I really started liking Ketel One.I attributed its smoothness to the fact that it was a wheat vodka as opposed to potato. Lately out of curiosity I looked up wheat vs potato vodkas and found that the only potato vodka of note is Chopin. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any well known Vodkas that were potato and later switched to wheat, or were they always wheat? I am mainly wondering about Russian Vodkas.

Lukosowa is a decent quality potato vodka as well, though not as high class as Chopin.

I believe Furd is essentially right, that wheat and rye is the primary source in most vodkas from Eastern Europe and always has been. Russian vodkas are more wheat based, and definitely not potato. Polish vodkas tend to be rye based (belvedere), though the more popular sellers here in this country are the potato based brands like Chopin and Lukosowa. The ones distilled here in the US tend to be blended grains or corn.

Lukosowa is a decent quality potato vodka as well, though not as high class as Chopin.

I believe Furd is essentially right, that wheat and rye is the primary source in most vodkas from Eastern Europe and always has been. Russian vodkas are more wheat based, and definitely not potato. Polish vodkas tend to be rye based (belvedere), though the more popular sellers here in this country are the potato based brands like Chopin and Lukosowa. The ones distilled here in the US tend to be blended grains or corn.

Thanks to you and Furd for the info. As much as I like Ketel One I just wanted to know more. Wines are a lot easier to discern as to why one tastes better than the other but Vodka not so much. At least not for me.Some Vodkas just don't taste good or leave one regretting it in the morning. I posted hoping to get a little knowledge as to why. Thanks again.

I'm just a dabbler in vodka, so I wouldn't consider my palate refined. But when I do drink it, more than half of the time its neat or on the rocks, sometimes with a splash of soda.

If you include cocktails, I drink mostly Smirnoff. I like the taste of it by itself and its acceptable overkill if I want to throw in some tonic and ice in the summer. I have a bottle of regular ol' Stolichnya in the freezer.

A interesting vodka that I am drinking to the moment is Coastal One "Straight" that is made in California using a mixture of wheat and viognier grapes. Its a little sweet with a nice texture. I think that I paid about $35 bucks for it.

Edited by Furd

I'm just a dabbler in vodka, so I wouldn't consider my palate refined. But when I do drink it, more than half of the time its neat or on the rocks, sometimes with a splash of soda.

If you include cocktails, I drink mostly Smirnoff. I like the taste of it by itself and its acceptable overkill if I want to throw in some tonic and ice in the summer. I have a bottle of regular ol' Stolichnya in the freezer.

A interesting vodka that I am drinking to the moment is Coastal One "Straight" that is made in California using a mixture of wheat and viognier grapes. Its a little sweet with a nice texture. I think that I paid about $35 bucks for it.

I like vodka neat as well as the old "srewdriver" standby. Neat It is always Ketel, screwdriver gives leeway to a selected variety of vodkas. One time I drank Absolut, which I liked ( and did not drink anymore than usual) and the next day I was seriously hurting. I never thought about it before, but I guess there are physiological factors that determine how different brands affect one. Is there any particular vodka or for that liquor brand that seems to hit you hard when others don't? The Coastal One sounds interesting.

s there any particular vodka or for that liquor brand that seems to hit you hard when others don't?

Not that I've noticed. I presume that cheaper spirits aren't refined as well which could have some effect. :wacko:

My everyday vodka is Tito's. It is made in Texas, of all places, and is surprisingly smooth.

My wife got me a bottle of Stoli Elite for Christmas. It is hugely overpriced, but probably the best vodka I have ever had. For those who like a vodka martini or drink it on the rocks, it is a must try.....

As hard liquor goes, I pretty much only drink Vodka or an occasional scotch or cognac. Grey Goose shaken really hard in a very cold martini glass topped of with 3 stuffed blue cheese olives is my drink of choice. Ketel One is a close second.

I also like Skyy as an underrated alternative. I usually drink Skyy on the rocks compared to my other two favorites.

While Chopin is a very good potato Vodka, although I am not a huge fan of potato vodka's unless mixed. They have a much harsher bite but I always use potato vodka when drinking screwdrivers as an example because they do add that little taste kick when mixed.

In my opinion the best potato vodka is Monopolowa. It is every bit as good as Chopin but not nearly the price point.

I always keep a bottle of Monopolowa in the freezer along with Grey Goose. Monopolowa is considered an Austrian Vodka today although it originated in Poland. It is an outstanding mixing vodka. I also will drink it like a Grey Goose Martini from time to time but it is not as smooth as high end wheat based vodka. It is however, one of the smoothest potato based vodka's I have ever had.

At the price point, Monopolowa may be the best value on the market.

I do not know if any changed from Potato, Wheat, Rye or multiple ingredient based that are popping up on the market.

The one vodka I haven't tried but intend to one of these days is Purity Vodka out of Sweden. This is in the ultra premium family and is a blend of Wheat and Barley.

If you want to try a Grape based Vodka I would recommend Ciroc. My wife loves this vodka but would not recommend olives with it. A lemon twist will not overpower this vodka.

Edited by Ice1

definately Luksosowa, if you are on a budget.

I like in this order ...

Chopin ($$$)

Kettle One ($$)

Luksosowa ($)

you guys are spot on.

I spent last evening with my Russian colleagues, and they brought Nemiroff Vodka. Amazingly smooth, nice flavor, small burn on the end. I have no idea if you can get it in the US, but it has got to be one of the best vodkas I have had for drinking neat.