[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning . . . to the Colts?

CaptainHook

Owner Jim Irsay is open to Peyton Manning remaining with the Indianapolis Colts and finishing his NFL career where it began, but the ultimate decision will rest with wether the iconic quarterback is willing to restructure his contract.

“We can make it work if he wants to be here,’’ Irsay said today. “We’d be excited to have him back and finish his career with us.

“I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve.’’

Irsay expects to meet with Manning within the next seven days to discuss Manning’s career with the Colts. Manning is due a $28 million option bonus by March 8 that activates the final four years of the five-year, $90 million contract he signed in July. If Irsay does not pay the bonus, the NFL’s only four-time MVP becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Manning missed the entire 2011 season after undergoing single-level, anterior fusion surgery Sept. 8.

Although Manning has been throwing with regularity, it is believed he has yet to regain full strength in his right arm.

Any new contract with the Colts undoubtedly would be incentive-laden and tied to playing time.

“There’s no question it can be worked out if he wants to be here,’’ said Irsay, who has concerns over Manning’s long-term health. “It can work if he wants to come back and can get back to being the old Peyton.’’

:wacko:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would LOVE to see him finish his career in Indy - but even as a Colts fan I've come to terms that his time in Indy is up. NEVER in a million years thought it would end this way. Thought he would be able to stay there as long as he wanted.. But Irsay is trying to slowly set the stage for all the Colts fans - he's going to cut him. The team is in rebuilding mode. They're not gonna bring Reggie Wayne back, nor will they bring back Mathis. Saturday is gonna retire. There's a lot of holes all the sudden, and why not start from the botton up again with another franchise quarterback - but saving boatloads of money in doing so. Even as the first overall pick, the MOST Andrew Luck can make / be offered is a 4 year, $23M contract. That's $5M cheaper than Manning's roster bonus - let alone his base salary and incentives for 2012. That's a lot of money Grigson can spend elsewhere..

I think Manning has too much pride and wants to prove everyone wrong - which is why he will play somewhere in 2012 (my guess is STILL the Arizona Cardinals) but I just want to see him hang it up. He's got nothing left to play for. He's a first ballot hall of famer. He's going to go down as one of the top 5 all time best QB's the NFL has ever seen. He's got nothing left to gain and everything to lose. Why risk your quality of life for the rest of your life for a few more years of your legacy?

Edited by Shorttynaz

Would LOVE to see him finish his career in Indy - but even as a Colts fan I've come to terms that his time in Indy is up. NEVER in a million years thought it would end this way. Thought he would be able to stay there as long as he wanted.. But Irsay is trying to slowly set the stage for all the Colts fans - he's going to cut him. The team is in rebuilding mode. They're not gonna bring Reggie Wayne back, nor will they bring back Mathis. Saturday is gonna retire. There's a lot of holes all the sudden, and why not start from the botton up again with another franchise quarterback - but saving boatloads of money in doing so. Even as the first overall pick, the MOST Andrew Luck can make / be offered is a 4 year, $23M contract. That's $5M cheaper than Manning's roster bonus - let alone his base salary and incentives for 2012. That's a lot of money Grigson can spend elsewhere..

I think Manning has too much pride and wants to prove everyone wrong - which is why he will play somewhere in 2012 (my guess is STILL the Arizona Cardinals) but I just want to see him hang it up. He's got nothing left to play for. He's a first ballot hall of famer. He's going to go down as one of the top 5 all time best QB's the NFL has ever seen. He's got nothing left to gain and everything to lose. Why risk your quality of life for the rest of your life for a few more years of your legacy?

I really dont think the Cards are interested, especially given comments made by Bidwill's son the other day.They made an investment in Kolb and are going to see it through.

yeah, saying this to the press before he's even met with manning? stay classy, irsay :wacko:

Are you kidding? With all the stuff leaked by Manning's camp lately? I agree with Cap'n Grunge. This should have been handled in-house. I really hope Manning agrees to come back at a lesser salary laden with incentives. But I don't see it happening. The only reason I think he might is the fact he has two young twins and a wife here in Indy. Does he wanna go the Brett Favre route and bounce around the league for a couple years?

Edited by CaptainHook

It saddens me that the average Sports Center watching fan will blame Peyton for this chapter in his legacy; Irsay is crucifying Manning, plain and simple.

What? Would you pay $54 million to a guy that might not be able to play again? He's already in for $26 million. What's he supposed to do here?

Manning is not anyone's victim.

Exactly. He has been extremely well paid in his time with the Colts. They don't "owe" him another $28 million. Irsay is right. If he wants to stay, and work out a new deal, he can. But he doesn't owe the Colts anything either. If he wants to go, then so be it.

The only thing that bothers me about Irsay's comments yesterday is they 100% contradict what he said a few weeks ago. "Peyton is a politician. He should have kept this in house and spoke to me directly."

Only then for Irsay to come out and try to make everyone think it's Manning that's causing the problem? The only thing causing the problem is the rediculous roster bonus that Irsay agreed to pay him less than a year ago. Now he wants to renig on that deal but keep Manning at the same time.

Manning has been paid extremely well throughout his career, but in my opinion - Irsay is making Manning a $28M victim here. He's trying to make it look as if Manning wants out..

Personally I'm tired of hearing about this day after day. Just cut him already and move on!

So glad everyone knows what Manning leaked and what is the best way to handle the whole deal....afterall here is a QB that could dissect a "D" at the line of scrimmage /on the fly and he isbeing painted in this forum as not smart and should have done this or that...it is $28 million and lets wait before rushing to the shoulda, coulda, littany. :wacko:

So glad everyone knows what Manning leaked and what is the best way to handle the whole deal....afterall here is a QB that could dissect a "D" at the line of scrimmage /on the fly and he isbeing painted in this forum as not smart and should have done this or that...it is $28 million and lets wait before rushing to the shoulda, coulda, littany. :wacko:

You got a point - everyone is jumping to conclusions - but dude. He's owed $28M in a few weeks. That's just a bonus - that doesn't include his 2012 salary. It's no mystery that the Colts are going to draft Luck. While he's no Manning, he seems to be as NFL ready as any rookie has looked in a long while - and the kicker here is under the new CBA, the best deal he can get is a 4 year $23M contract with a 5th year option. That contract cannot be re-negotiated until that player has been in the league for 3 years. That free's up so much scratch that can be better spent to fill other holes. Manning "shouldn't" agree to restructure his contract, and Irsay isn't going to pay it. Why he hasn't been cut yet is mind-boggling. Manning has to understand the business side of things here - not saying he needs to give the Colts a hometown discount - but he should accept the fact he's gonna get cut and then if he "truly does" want to stay in Indy, give the Colts first dibs to offer a new contract.

Me personally - if this whole public bickering back and forth involved myself and my boss of 14 years, I don't know that I'd want to come back. This is turning into a nasty divorce rather than a renewall of vows - and it's all unnecessary - if only Irsay would just shut his mouth and stop trying to get the public opinion in his favor. He's an owner. Fans better relate to players and will side with a player, most of the time. This is certainly one of "those times".

The only thing that bothers me about Irsay's comments yesterday is they 100% contradict what he said a few weeks ago. "Peyton is a politician. He should have kept this in house and spoke to me directly."

Except that since that statement, there have been leaks from the Manning camp that Peyton has been cleared to play football, and that Manning would be willing to take an incentive-laden contract with another team. Also, Manning said he would meet with Irsay the week after the Super Bowl, but ended up at Duke instead.

Only then for Irsay to come out and try to make everyone think it's Manning that's causing the problem? The only thing causing the problem is the rediculous roster bonus that Irsay agreed to pay him less than a year ago. Now he wants to renig on that deal but keep Manning at the same time.

Wrong. The only thing that's causing the problem is Peyton's neck. If he was healthy and ready to play, Irsay would pay the money no questions asked. I think Irsay feels bamboozled by Manning last year. He was paid $26 million to sit on the sidelines. Part of it was the Colts fault, who never should have agreed to that contract without a physical. But, as I've said before, I'm not sure Peyton was up front with the Colts as to what was going on with his injury. I think he knew very early he was not going to be able to play this year. Irsay is 100% correct in asking Manning to renegotiate that deal. Even if Irsay had the cash to pay the roster bonus, the cap ramifications are daunting. The Colts have to do this.

Are you kidding? With all the stuff leaked by Manning's camp lately? I agree with Cap'n Grunge. This should have been handled in-house.

then it sounds like you agree with me.

I really don't think this is about his contract. if the colts use the first pick on a QB, then the writing is on the wall. pure and simple. is it the prudent move for them? maybe so. to me it depends on where manning's health is. If I were them I'd delay the decision as long as humanly possible (it sounds like they've already made it). if it looks like peyton is going to be good to go, then you could trade that pick for an absolute jackpot and fill a lot of holes very quickly. but if they are pretty sure that, at the very least, his health will still be very much an open question by the time they have to make all these decisions, then yeah maybe you just move forward with Luck. but be a f'n man about that decision and own it, don't weasel out and try and pin the PR blame elsewhere.

While I agree that Peyton doesn't really have anything to prove, I don't agree that he has nothing left to play for, nothing to gain and everything to lose. Football is a violent sport, anybody playing could be injured, crippled for life or even killed while playing. While his neck injury MAY make him more prone to some injuries, that is really not a certainty. (And if it turns out to be true, and doctors tell him that, he may well retire.)

I also agree that this is mostly just more PR from Irsay so that he doesn't look bad to the fans when Manning is released. He can claim they were open to keeping him, reworking his contract etc. but that Manning would not agree. Will be interesting to hear about those negotiations as they proceed, and afterward when more of the truth can be revealed.

Manning has been paid extremely well throughout his career, but in my opinion - Irsay is making Manning a $28M victim here. He's trying to make it look as if Manning wants out..

Personally I'm tired of hearing about this day after day. Just cut him already and move on!

Great points, Irsay and his front office screwed up giving Peyton that contract when there were questions about his health. Now they have to do something, but they can't just say "screw you buddy you're gone" becaues the fans will revolt. So they want to put the blame on Peyton.

Ditto on your post #19

Wrong. The only thing that's causing the problem is Peyton's neck. If he was healthy and ready to play, Irsay would pay the money no questions asked. I think Irsay feels bamboozled by Manning last year. He was paid $26 million to sit on the sidelines. Part of it was the Colts fault, who never should have agreed to that contract without a physical. But, as I've said before, I'm not sure Peyton was up front with the Colts as to what was going on with his injury. I think he knew very early he was not going to be able to play this year. Irsay is 100% correct in asking Manning to renegotiate that deal. Even if Irsay had the cash to pay the roster bonus, the cap ramifications are daunting. The Colts have to do this.

I'm convinced even Manning obviously knew his neck was jacked - he didn't know how severe this injury was. I think he thought he would be back on the field sometime during the regular season.

I do agree with you though that the Colts have to let him go - or at least release him from his current contract - and then offer him an "incentive" filled contract that Tom Condon said Manning is willing to sign.

While Luck is not yet part of the Colts, I think he can only benefit from sitting behind of the all time greats for a year or two - "should" Manning be considered healthy enough to play. I know Manning wants to finish his career with the Colts, but I'm not sure that the Colts will have a solid enough team around him these next few years to seriously compete for another championship. Their defense is in shambles, their secondary couldn't stop the Little Giants from passing on them, the D-line helps the opposition open holes rather than fill them and they're losing Mathis. Their O-line is losing their anchor in the middle not to mention young and has yet to mesh, why they resigned Addai last year is still a mystery, and they're losing Wayne. I mean how successful can this team be - Manning or no Manning?

:wacko: Man, I'm starting to sound like "BeeR"

Edited by Shorttynaz

How does a top, popular athlete have a surgery and it not get reported?

"Citing NFL sources, SI.com's Don Banks reports that Peyton Manning has undergone four surgeries on his neck over the past two seasons, not three as widely reported.

The fourth was an undisclosed procedure, per Banks, and occurred between his May 23 and September 9 surgeries. In other words, Manning had three neck operations in one offseason. Banks reports that Manning's neck may have "developed bone spurs," and Colts doctors believe he will "inevitably ... at some point require further surgery." Manning reportedly still wanted to play in 2011 and was targeting Week 16. Colts doctors quickly ruled him out after a brief workout. At the time, it is estimated that Manning had 80 percent of his usual arm strength and "his passes wobbled at times." The Colts are reportedly concerned that Manning's neck problems are chronic and perhaps even genetic, as Peyton's brother Cooper was forced to give up football at a young age due to spinal stenosis.

Source: SI.com"

This article doesn't say "surgery" it just says "procedure". How major or minor is unknown.

I'm starting to wonder if Jim Irsay didn't have something to do with "leaking" this story - or tipping someone off to continue to try to justify or strengthen his stance and paint a darker picture of Peyton Manning. A few weeks ago I wouldn't even have thought about this - but the way things have been going down these past few weeks - it just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

I do think that this article really hurts Manning's position though. If a team was on the fence or willing to give it a shot (Arizona, Seattle, Miami) - I think this puts a big damper in things. No way would I sign this guy without giving him a thorough physical.

However - if Manning comes out and says it was irrelevant or minor - how about putting this WHOLE thing to rest and just hold a "pro-day" workout? End all this hoopla and bickering and just hit Jim Irsay in his pie-hole from 50 yards out (to the left)!

Edited by Shorttynaz