[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MNF - Jaws Gets the Hook

lennykravitz2004

Simple questions:

Have you ever switched away from a good game because you hated the guys calling it?

Have you ever stuck with a game that sucked and you had no juice in (fantasy or gambling) simply because the announcers were so great?

that is going to the extreme. i'm just saying they can make the game almost unbearable if they r bad and make it even more exciting if they r good. i wouldnt watch or not watch a game for the commentators, but they r a big factor in the overall experience. i mean, who doesnt love gus johnson?? (besides cbs big wigs....still dont know why they let him go) the man is pure excitement and love of sports. u cant fake that, he's just got "it"

I suppose for some people that is true. But I also find that the opinions on who is terrible and who is not vary quite a bit, even between Jaws and Gruden. Some think Jaws is/was bad some think he's great, same goes for Gruden.

I guess if you pinned me down, I think Jaws is kind of a dork, but he is who he is. Gruden's swaggering machismo is a schtick, and I find it annoying ("Lemme tell ya bout THIS guuuyyyyyy").

But if there's one thing I 100% agree with, it's that mileage varies.

i dont think anyone watches football for the announcers. but a bad one (collingsworth, phil simms, dennis miller, gary and verne in college) can be so horrible that it detracts from the game and becomes a huge distraction. and a good one (aikman, tirico, moose, herby musburger and gus johnson in college) can add so much to the game and provide further information & entertainment.

I agree with this.

I have turned MNF recently because of Gruden for the reasons already mentioned by a few. I'm not as hardcore on football as I used to be so that's probably part of the reason also.

that is going to the extreme. i'm just saying they can make the game almost unbearable if they r bad and make it even more exciting if they r good. i wouldnt watch or not watch a game for the commentators, but they r a big factor in the overall experience. i mean, who doesnt love gus johnson?? (besides cbs big wigs....still dont know why they let him go) the man is pure excitement and love of sports. u cant fake that, he's just got "it"

I certainly understand that a good announcer makes the game better than a bad one. And I have a list of guys who annoy me as well. My point, however, is that I can't fathom it having a dramatic effect on how many eyeballs they pull for the games.

Also, I agree with Steve that it's not as if the list is even consistent. Take a guy like Collinsworth. Ask around here, and dude is public enemy #1, but I've also heard him listed among the "best in the business". Me? I don't see either. I certainly don't get the hate, but I've also never thought, 'wow, that guy is just making this game so much more fun to watch."

Which, ultimately, is why I think the topic is overrated. Nobody can decide on who is the best and, I'm guessing, almost everyone is going to either watch a game or not based on what is happening on the field anyway. So why bother?

I certainly understand that a good announcer makes the game better than a bad one. And I have a list of guys who annoy me as well. My point, however, is that I can't fathom it having a dramatic effect on how many eyeballs they pull for the games.

Also, I agree with Steve that it's not as if the list is even consistent. Take a guy like Collinsworth. Ask around here, and dude is public enemy #1, but I've also heard him listed among the "best in the business". Me? I don't see either. I certainly don't get the hate, but I've also never thought, 'wow, that guy is just making this game so much more fun to watch."

Which, ultimately, is why I think the topic is overrated. Nobody can decide on who is the best and, I'm guessing, almost everyone is going to either watch a game or not based on what is happening on the field anyway. So why bother?

And even though Kris N says "who doesn't like Gus Johnson" I've heard people complaining about him because he too over the top, with his excitement level, etc. Personally I can find much more to discuss regarding the actual game play, or even officiating (which impacts the game) than concerning myself with who is announcing a particular game.

i also cant stand the announcer who constantly talks about their playing career and how they would do it better....i.e. phil simms and collingsworth.

i think the announcers have more effect on the casual fan and whether they turn the channel. a big nfl fan or fantasy owner isnt changing the channel no matter who is calling the game.

The only time I ever get annoyed with announcers is when their bias comes through and even then it's not enough to make me want to stop watching.

If your only exposure to Duke basketball was by listening to it on the radio, you'd pretty much be convinced that they've never actually committed a foul but get them called against them nonetheless.

If your only exposure to Duke basketball was by listening to it on the radio, you'd pretty much be convinced that they've never actually committed a foul but get them called against them nonetheless.

Being a die hard Tarheel fan since I was a kid, I had the displeasure of listening to a Duke/NC game via Duke radio. Probably the most biased announcers I've ever heard. It was painful, but the Heels prevailed and listening to them blame everybody but Duke was hilarious.

Being a die hard Tarheel fan since I was a kid, I had the displeasure of listening to a Duke/NC game via Duke radio. Probably the most biased announcers I've ever heard. It was painful, but the Heels prevailed and listening to them blame everybody but Duke was hilarious.

It's really uncanny. I realize that college sports are bound to have that more than others, and there's always going to be a thread or two of homerism woven in here and there, but those guys take it to an entirely different level. You'd honestly think you were sitting in the student section having some guy with blue face paint describe the game to you.

Back in the day when the sunday night football game was on ESPN they had the 3 man booth of annoying turds. Now, I didn't play FF in those days as college is the big thing around here (and honestly didn't know squat about FF). But football is football so I'd watch whenever I could. But if the game was a bit boring and the announcers became annoying (because there is only so much time between plays and 3 people is too much yapping) I would have turned the game off. So while it may seem strange to people around here (FF board) that people won't watch regardless, it does happen in real life to a lot of the quasi-fans of the game. Yes, the NFL can count on 95% of the people on this board still watching if they had a circus seal yelling "arf" but there are a lot of people out there that are less addicted than whomper gambling on the coin toss of the MNF game.

Back in the day when the sunday night football game was on ESPN they had the 3 man booth of annoying turds. Now, I didn't play FF in those days as college is the big thing around here (and honestly didn't know squat about FF). But football is football so I'd watch whenever I could. But if the game was a bit boring and the announcers became annoying (because there is only so much time between plays and 3 people is too much yapping) I would have turned the game off. So while it may seem strange to people around here (FF board) that people won't watch regardless, it does happen in real life to a lot of the quasi-fans of the game. Yes, the NFL can count on 95% of the people on this board still watching if they had a circus seal yelling "arf" but there are a lot of people out there that are less addicted than whomper gambling on the coin toss of the MNF game.

I hit the coin toss on the superbowl big. But it was all downhill from there