[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Left Guard vs Right Guard

Footballjoe

Assume your QB is right handed. Assume a player has the ability to play either the left or right side of the line. I know the Left Tackle is more valuable to protect the blind side. Is the left guard considered more valuable? if so, why?

In pass protection I think they are equally valuable, in run blocking I think it depends on which side you run the ball most often. I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but I'm guessing whatever statistics show to be the side that is run to most often would be the more valuable. Truth be told I think the answer is probably going to be neither and may just depend on offensive scheme.

I think you answered your own question. The blind side tackle has inherently always been the most valuable. Even if your QB was left handed, most of the premier OLB's rush from the right side.

ETA: I found an interesting blog by Eric Wintson, the starting Right Tackle for the Houston Texans.

Edited by tazinib1

I think you answered your own question. The blind side tackle has inherently always been the most valuable. Even if your QB was left handed, most of the premier OLB's rush from the right side.

He wants to know which guard is more valuable.

In pass protection I think they are equally valuable, in run blocking I think it depends on which side you run the ball most often. I know that doesn't completely answer your question, but I'm guessing whatever statistics show to be the side that is run to most often would be the more valuable

This. I need to wake up but I can give you stats for the top 5 RB's concerning the play direction. Any particular team you want to know about?

ETA: The top 10 G's from last year:

1. Evan Mathis LG Eagles (I can hear Rajn screaming as I type)

2. Carl Nicks LG Saints

3. Marshal Yanda RG Ravens

4. Brian Yaters RG Partiots

5. John Sitton RG Packers

6. Andy Levitre LG Bills

7. Jake Scott RG Titans

8. Steve Hutchison LG Vikings

9. Chad Rinehart LG/RG Bills

10. Jahri Evans RG Saints

Edited by tazinib1

This. I need to wake up but I can give you stats for the top 5 RB's concerning the play direction. Any particular team you want to know about?

2. Carl Nicks LG Saints

No problems if we're only talking about run blocking. :wacko:

Most RB's are right handed and prefer to carry the ball in their right hand. For a guard, I would think that their run blocking acumen is a bit more important to most teams than their pass blocking skills. Most defenses don't exactly feature their scariest pass rushers at the right DT position. It would also depend on whether or not the individual guard is left handed or right handed, and there are some teams out there that prefer to strengthen one side of the line so they can always depend on that side in short yardage situations. I would say though in general terms, since the right side is typically still considered the strong running side, and run blocking is a bit more important out of a guard than pass blocking, I would give a slight nod to the right guard.

On a team like the Colts (Manning era) not much difference. It's about pass blocking. The LG m ight be more important on a pass oriented offense like that. Take a run oriented offense like the Jets, it's the RG by far. Additionally, if you have a good LT and a good center, they can help a LG in pass blocking. They can shift to double a good pass rushing DE, while the center can slide left. That can work, unless it's a team like the Giants, who have both DE's and DT's that can pass rush.

It's a very scheme oriented situation. Few run oriented offenses run left. The LT's primary job is to protect the QB's blind side, and few good pass blocking LT's are equally good at run blocking. Most teams run right.Even a team oriented to run right might not against a defense like the Ravens. Game plan specific I think. Runn middle or outside against an attack D like Baltimore might be in a game plan.

In the end, I think run blocking relies mostly on the C ond RG for most teams. If you have a really good run blocking RT...so i'm saying it depends...LOL.

2. Carl Nicks LG Saints

6. Andy Levitre LG Bills

7. Jake Scott RG Titans

How is Logan Mankins not on this list?

He's waaaaaay down the list my friend. The fact that PFF gives him a 1.0 in pass protection and a 1.1 in run blocking with a putrid overall .4 rating tells you all you need to know. Wait there's more..... he gave up 4 sacks, 4 QB hits and 15 QB pressures. I'll stop there. He might have been a 3 time Pro Bowler in his career, but those days are clearly over.

Edited by tazinib1

2. Carl Nicks LG Saints

6. Andy Levitre LG Bills

7. Jake Scott RG Titans

Josh Sitton didn't play up to his 2010 level. I'd even argue that TJ Lang played just as well as he did.

Logan Mankins wasnt the best guard on his own team, and I'd bet most Patriot fans are not too happy with Mankins play down the stretch.

Brian Yaters...

The guy gets no respect...

Do you mean Waters? He has a couple of all pro's to his credit and made 6 pro bowls. I think he is getting close to being done though, age is catching up with him. Still, very good in pass protection.

Do you mean Waters? He has a couple of all pro's to his credit and made 6 pro bowls. I think he is getting close to being done though, age is catching up with him. Still, very good in pass protection.

I guess you didnt notice the initial list. I'm well aware of Brian Waters. I grew up in Denton, and watched him play at UNT.

For what its worth, Waters is rated as the best pass blocking G in the NFL.

how much do you get paid when you name them, quote them and otherwise refer to them? :wacko:

I sure hope they know something about fantasy football for your sake :lol:

I was asked a question, I answered it. And yes, they know a little about fantasy football. But their FF content is not what draws me to them. Do I hold their fantasy rankings above The Huddle? Absolutely not and that's actually laughable to propose. But when it comes to real football stats, no one even comes close. Their rankings, evaluations and breakdowns of non skilled positions is the most comprehensive I've ever seen. They have no forum that I am aware of and even if they did, I've dug my digs in here and wouldn't leave this place for anything. It takes much more than stat breakdowns for me to be drawn to a site. The members here are far and above the best group of FF players I've ever come across. So no, I'm not pimping anyone....but when you accuse me of doing such, then I have to knock you down a peg or two. I just became a subscriber a few months ago and I'm still trying to absorb all the information that is available to me. And BTW: I believe I've referenced PFF in my posts 2-3 times at the most. And when I'm quoting them, its not my fault that the writers of the quote referenced them. Maybe that should give you a clue? And if you don't hold them to as high a degree as I, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Now....when are you gonna deal me Kelvin Sheppard???? :tup:

Edited by tazinib1

I was asked a question, I answered it. And yes, they know a little about fantasy football. But their FF content is not what draws me to them. Do I hold their fantasy rankings above The Huddle? Absolutely not and that's actually laughable to propose. But when it comes to real football stats, no one even comes close. Their rankings, evaluations and breakdowns of non skilled positions is the most comprehensive I've ever seen. They have no forum that I am aware of and even if they did, I've dug my digs in here and wouldn't leave this place for anything. It takes much more than stat breakdowns for me to be drawn to a site. The members here are far and above the best group of FF players I've ever come across. So no, I'm not pimping anyone....but when you accuse me of doing such, then I have to knock you down a peg or two. I just became a subscriber a few months ago and I'm still trying to absorb all the information that is available to me. And BTW: I believe I've referenced PFF in my posts 2-3 times at the most. And when I'm quoting them, its not my fault that the writers of the quote referenced them. Maybe that should give you a clue? And if you don't hold them to as high a degree as I, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Now....when are you gonna deal me Kelvin Sheppard???? :tup:

I'll just say that, like any site that ranks players take it with a grain of salt. They have some good info but some info (like any site that ranks players regardless of position) I question. For example, I have no idea how they could come up with Evan Mathis as the best G in the NFL. Whatever metric they are using that resulted in that ranking is flawed IMO. And judging by your top 30 FA list that you devised with their help.... Derek Landri? Really? A street free agent that the Eagles cut twice this year? He11, I'll even spot you the kickers since I feel they are under-rated in real football. You would know, you suffered through Nate Kaeding's choking fits

Yes they are good but unlike DMD they are not infallible. :wacko:

The PFF references make you sound like "one time at band camp" LOL

I'll deal you Sheppard when you stop offering $hit and start drunk-trading again :lol: