[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm going to the Combine!

tonyr0802

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from the Combine and what a great experience it was just being inside there and seeing the various drills take place.

The experience:

First off we were gathered into a room and reminded of the rules (no recording equipment, be library quiet, etc.) repeatedly. Someone from the NFL came in to speak to us about how this was an experiment and how they had to pitch it to the competition committee for approvals. If this goes well then most likely they'll do a repeat/expansion of it in the future. The NFL provided some swag, a program of players, breakfast and lunch.

We were all gathered into a common area in the stands shortly before the first group of QB/WR's began. Being on the side the 40 was ran on was nice, but seeing the other drills like long/vertical jump was dificult as they were on the opposite side. Throughout the time there Derrick Brooks and Fred Taylor came through visiting with anyone wishing to talk to them and signing autographs. Disappointingly we were only able to stay until the second group of QB/WR's ran their 40's, didn't get to see their drills nor any of the RB's.

ETA: We were also given headsets just like those used on media day for the fans. We were able to listen/watch the NFL Network broadcast of the combine. During commercials Marshall Faulk would come onto the network and talk to us giving information about what to watch/purpose of the drills. One thing I found interesting is how they would edit the broadcast so that any 40 times were removed, they didn't want the athletes knowing times of each other until everyone had ran.

The Players

Not that it's news to anyone, but RG3 is blazing fast. Really disappointing that he and Luck chose not to throw. Luck was a bit surprising to me, I expected him to be a bit slower than he was, definitely looked quicker than his official time.

Only being able to see the first group of WR's, I can't comment much on half of them. But of the first group Stephen Hill and Michael Floyd stood out well above the rest, even above Blackmon. Hill just snatched everything that came his way and was just smoking fast. Nearly the same can be said for Floyd, both looked good.

Wish I could give more feedback on the players, unfortunately it just wasn't in the cards due to the NFL having us leave part way through the day. If they open this again I'd love to go back, hopefully they do and also allow fans to be there a bit longer in the day.

Edited by tonyr0802