[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You don't like Tebow?

Bronco Billy

:tup:

He wins despite sucking, is out-spoken about religion in a time when being religious isn't "cool" and doesn't get in bar fights and have baby mamas.

Not what we (society) want from our new role-models :wacko:

This post is full of things that make you go hmmm.....

Is putting up average or above average QB statistics more important than winning?

When has being religous ever been cool?

If Tebow is a poor role model, who, pray tell, is a good role model?

How do you correctly assess the difference between being outspoken about your faith and being staunch about your faith?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken Silver actually writes for Yahoo Sports and this isn't the first time that he has been accused by players that he was too liberal with his "interpretation" of their interview. Silver & Jason Cole, honestly, I can't imagine why any player would ever grant either of them an interview.

What did Quinn say that he needs to be ashamed about?

Has it dawned on anyone that the whole backlash to Tebow's devout faith is a matter of timing?

He's not the first NFL player to make a big deal of his faith, he just happens to be one that's doing so at the same we have a guy like Santorum actually leading the GOP race. Guys like that are typically fringe loonies but there's enough of a groundswell of hardcore Christians that a guy like that is now getting some serious run. Which puts those who'd rather not have this country move towards some Christian version of the same whack-job states that we've seen pop up in the Middle East, a bit more on edge.

So, when Kurt Warner was doing his thing, it was nothing anyone felt the need to dig their heels in against, because it wasn't tied to a movement that was trying to cram one faith-based law down our throats after another. Because, back then, a complete religious nut like Santorum would have just been another freak standing on the corner waiving his arms, not being the front runner to win the GOP. So, whether or not Tebow is simply a harmless devotee who just wants to do good and spread the word, he's, by default, keeping company with a movement that threatens liberties that many of us hold dear.

I know that it is all I can muster to give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard and not judge him on his faith. I've certainly said plenty on the subject of Tebow, but have kept it to the field of play. However, I'd be lying if I said I cared about his faith the same as I did with a guy like Warner. And I do think it's because I feel as if the church is as politically motivated as they ever have been in my lifetime and I do feel they're trying to push a faith-based agenda much further than they should. Thus, I'm going to look upon any outspoken Christian with a more suspicious eye than I ever have before. Which I do regret but feel is a fair reaction to what I see.

Edited by detlef

This post is full of things that make you go hmmm.....

Is putting up average or above average QB statistics more important than winning?

When has being religous ever been cool?

If Tebow is a poor role model, who, pray tell, is a good role model?

How do you correctly assess the difference between being outspoken about your faith and being staunch about your faith?

you do know I wasn't being serious, right? :wacko:

Didn't say he should be, just shedding some light on the level of reporting the author of the article is known for.

I'm not sure I know what you're even talking about. I thought Michael Silver has always been one of the best NFL writers for quite awhile. Some axes to grind with the Raiders, but I've never heard of him having a bad reputation among players or people in the league. Care to shed some additional light?

Has it dawned on anyone that the whole backlash to Tebow's devout faith is a matter of timing?

He's not the first NFL player to make a big deal of his faith, he just happens to be one that's doing so at the same we have a guy like Santorum actually leading the GOP race. Guys like that are typically fringe loonies but there's enough of a groundswell of hardcore Christians that a guy like that is now getting some serious run. Which puts those who'd rather not have this country move towards some Christian version of the same whack-job states that we've seen pop up in the Middle East, a bit more on edge.

So, when Kurt Warner was doing his thing, it was nothing anyone felt the need to dig their heels in against, because it wasn't tied to a movement that was trying to cram one faith-based law down our throats after another. Because, back then, a complete religious nut like Santorum would have just been another freak standing on the corner waiving his arms, not being the front runner to win the GOP. So, whether or not Tebow is simply a harmless devotee who just wants to do good and spread the word, he's, by default, keeping company with a movement that threatens liberties that many of us hold dear.

I know that it is all I can muster to give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard and not judge him on his faith. I've certainly said plenty on the subject of Tebow, but have kept it to the field of play. However, I'd be lying if I said I cared about his faith the same as I did with a guy like Warner. And I do think it's because I feel as if the church is as politically motivated as they ever have been in my lifetime and I do feel they're trying to push a faith-based agenda much further than they should. Thus, I'm going to look upon any outspoken Christian with a more suspicious eye than I ever have before. Which I do regret but feel is a fair reaction to what I see.

:wacko:

Don't even know where to begin on how incredibly misguided this post is, other than it belongs in the tailgate and not here.

Not a joke at all - I was and am fully aware that you were serious as was my response. In any case, I'm not going to pursue it in this forum.

Right, because the religious angle on Tebow has been off-limits in this forum the whole time.

Regardless, I'm just trying to dispel the "he's too Christian" theory and simply explain that, perhaps he's just very Christian at a time when many of us are growing rather weary about high profile Christians cramming their ideology down our throats and crying that they're victims at the same time. In other words, they've spoiled it for guys like Tebow, whereas a very out-spoken and devout guy like Warner was doing his thing at a different time. A time when the religious right was more of a fringe element. Thus, everyone simply focused on what a good guy he was and wasn't waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Edited by detlef

Not a joke at all - I was and am fully aware that you were serious as was my response. In any case, I'm not going to pursue it in this forum.

Because this forum is specifically limited to innuendo and context quotes that are akin to 8 grade locker room gossip.

Way to "keep it real" there BB.

(Brought to you by THE Tim Tebow nuthugger of the huddle . . . . Bronco Billy)

I'm not sure I know what you're even talking about. I thought Michael Silver has always been one of the best NFL writers for quite awhile. Some axes to grind with the Raiders, but I've never heard of him having a bad reputation among players or people in the league. Care to shed some additional light?

He was on Mike & Mike yesterday and admitted that he has gotten calls from players before that were upset about the way he portrayed their comments. Maybe part of it is my complete distaste for Yahoo Sports and the way a lot of reporters in general these days tend to sensationalize comments. It certainly seemed like that was what he was doing here.

Because this forum is specifically limited to innuendo and context quotes that are akin to 8 grade locker room gossip.

Way to "keep it real" there BB.

(Brought to you by THE Tim Tebow nuthugger of the huddle . . . . Bronco Billy)

I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to put an exclamation point on my response to your earlier post.

I don't recall Warner doing the things Tebow is, like

- the kneeling praying on the field during games

- saying things like "God had a hand in that one" when something happened to help his team

Maybe it is more caused by the media (as is often the case) because they highlighted Tebow so much. Also there's the whole thing about him being treated like some great QB when he was really pretty bad the basic part of playing QB (throwing the ball).

I don't think the backlash has anything to do with Santorum, particularly since much of it was going on long before Santorum got any big momentum in the Rep primary race. It may be the case for you, your views of Teboow and other outspoken Christans being viewed more suspiciously, but I'm not sure that many others are looking at it that way.

I don't recall Warner doing the things Tebow is, like

- the kneeling praying on the field during games

- saying things like "God had a hand in that one" when something happened to help his team

Maybe it is more caused by the media (as is often the case) because they highlighted Tebow so much. Also there's the whole thing about him being treated like some great QB when he was really pretty bad the basic part of playing QB (throwing the ball).

I don't think the backlash has anything to do with Santorum, particularly since much of it was going on long before Santorum got any big momentum in the Rep primary race. It may be the case for you, your views of Teboow and other outspoken Christans being viewed more suspiciously, but I'm not sure that many others are looking at it that way.

I'm only using Santorum as an example of the traction that fanatical Christians have gained in US politics. That guy scares me to death, so I'm obviously scared that enough people are behind him to make him a viable candidate for POTUS.

And because of that, I have a harder time just looking at a high profile man who makes a big deal about his faith as simply a guy who is simply very devout and pure. I can't help but wait for the Santorum in him to come out. Which I wish was not the case and certainly wasn't something I felt about Warner or others in the past who made their faith very well known.

I'm only using Santorum as an example of the traction that fanatical Christians have gained in US politics. That guy scares me to death, so I'm obviously scared that enough people are behind him to make him a viable candidate for POTUS.

And because of that, I have a harder time just looking at a high profile man who makes a big deal about his faith as simply a guy who is simply very devout and pure. I can't help but wait for the Santorum in him to come out. Which I wish was not the case and certainly wasn't something I felt about Warner or others in the past who made their faith very well known.

I've known you here for a long time, and you and I disagree more than we agree, probaby by quite a bit. But in all that time, I've never considered you undereducated, easily duped, and prone to being baselessly and easily frightened. I may have to reconsider my position after your responses on this page. Needless to say, I'm downright shocked by some of your statements given your intellect.

BTW - I am by no means a Santorum supporter, and would consider myself to be predominatly agnostic. That's as far as I'll take that in this thread, and probably shouldn't have bothered responding at all given your bent of taking it away from anything to do with football and rather into a sociopolitical direction.

I've known you here for a long time, and you and I disagree more than we agree, probaby by quite a bit. But in all that time, I've never considered you undereducated, easily duped, and prone to being baselessly and easily frightened. I may have to reconsider my position after your responses on this page. Needless to say, I'm downright shocked by some of your statements given your intellect.

BTW - I am by no means a Santorum supporter, and would consider myself to be predominatly agnostic. That's as far as I'll take that in this thread, and probably shouldn't have bothered responding at all given your bent of taking it away from anything to do with football and rather into a sociopolitical direction.

I bet you're not nearly as big an a-hole as you tend to come off here. At least, I'd like to think so.

It's how I feel. I live in a state where I, and others, are currently fighting a hateful and church-based proposed amendment to the state constitution, so forgive me if I feel like I'm in a war right now. One that I didn't choose, but am in none the less. One where "victory" simply means that the rights of my friends and neighbors simply won't be lessened, but not bettered.

So, in other words, I get pretty effing sick of hearing how the church feels "under attack" and that those who are turned off by people who make a big deal about their faith, "just can't handle their goodness". As soon the church, at large, gets out of my face, then I'll be glad to stop telling them to get out of my face.

I didn't take the bible and turn it into a divisive, hateful, and political tool. That's on someone else. I do feel sorry for good Christians who've had their faith exploited and sullied by so many in this country. And, like I said, I still like to think that Tebow is a good man, even if my exposure to so many high-profile and very outspoken alleged people of faith have been such a turn-off. I'm simply admitting that, because of what I'm seeing in this country, I have to fight through the crap to feel that way more than ever before.

Off-topic....

Oh no! I was playing Madden the other day and was using Tebow. The first play, you hear "Born and raised in Makati City, Philippines, Tim Tebow!'. My wife is a Filipina. Needless to say I am now in a Tim Tebow household.

Off-topic....

Oh no! I was playing Madden the other day and was using Tebow. The first play, you hear "Born and raised in Makati City, Philippines, Tim Tebow!'. My wife is a Filipina. Needless to say I am now in a Tim Tebow household.

when I used to play Madden, I always created a QB that could run fast, send everyone deep and if noone got open immediately I would run to one sideline, then run back the other way for 20 yard gain.