[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You don't like Tebow?

Bronco Billy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was on Mike & Mike yesterday and admitted that he has gotten calls from players before that were upset about the way he portrayed their comments. Maybe part of it is my complete distaste for Yahoo Sports and the way a lot of reporters in general these days tend to sensationalize comments. It certainly seemed like that was what he was doing here.

That happens to every sports writer. It comes with the territory, and that doesn't mean he's a liar or misquoted anyone. And Yahoo has done some incredible story-digging the last few years. They have a great team of writers and columnists, and as of right now, are the only major sports journalism provider that doesn't have the bias of a network contract with a sports league or conference. I never feel like there's an agenda at work like there is from the Giant Rat in Bristol.

That happens to every sports writer. It comes with the territory, and that doesn't mean he's a liar or misquoted anyone. And Yahoo has done some incredible story-digging the last few years. They have a great team of writers and columnists, and as of right now, are the only major sports journalism provider that doesn't have the bias of a network contract with a sports league or conference. I never feel like there's an agenda at work like there is from the Giant Rat in Bristol.

The agenda is to draw in readers & they are certainly prone to some underhanded journalism in order to do that. They may not have a bias, but they definitely have an agenda.

The agenda is to draw in readers & they are certainly prone to some underhanded journalism in order to do that. They may not have a bias, but they definitely have an agenda.

Like what? What are you talking about? You keep making these sort of dark-handed suggestions that these guys are bad and that there's something nefarious about what they write, but I'm totally not following you whatsoever.

The stuff they've done to highlight the hypocrisy at all levels of college football (the USC case, the Oregon recruiting service stuff, the Fiesta Bowl committee) has been really stellar work. There was some stuff several years ago on steroids in baseball that was good too. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for whatever you're referring to.

when I used to play Madden, I always created a QB that could run fast, send everyone deep and if noone got open immediately I would run to one sideline, then run back the other way for 20 yard gain.

There used to be an Atari football game we played in the arcades back in the early 80s (terrible graphics, a rolling ball, maybe 2 buttons). There were only 4 offensive plays, you could just run the BOMB every play, pass the line of scrimmage with your QB, then back up and throw the ball deep as all the defenders came up to tackle the QB running. (No penalties apparently).

Ahh those were the days...

PS Who'd have thought, a Tebow thread spins off in 4-5 different directions. I guess that's the offseason for your.

Like what? What are you talking about? You keep making these sort of dark-handed suggestions that these guys are bad and that there's something nefarious about what they write, but I'm totally not following you whatsoever.

The stuff they've done to highlight the hypocrisy at all levels of college football (the USC case, the Oregon recruiting service stuff, the Fiesta Bowl committee) has been really stellar work. There was some stuff several years ago on steroids in baseball that was good too. Otherwise, I'm at a loss for whatever you're referring to.

Jason Cole has ground his axe on the Saints & Reggie Bush in particular for quite a while. I can link a few old posts here and even link to several on the Saints forums as well as a few articles if you like. I really did not care to spend that kind of time or effort digging it up, but if you really need that verification I'd be more than happy to. As I was saying in my previous post, maybe some of my bias against Silver's article here stems from my distaste for Yahoo Sports & Cole in particular. However, when I first heard the story, I didn't realize he wrote for Yahoo and the initial impression was that he was sensationalizing Quinn's. Hearing that he wrote for Yahoo only made me feel more strongly about that impression.

Here is just a couple of quick hits just from this past season I got going to the Saints board:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-c...lessened_092011

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aohy...o_falcons112711

And this from his original headline on Yahoo.

Edited by rajncajn

Yes it was.

I'm pretty sure Billy's response to mine was a joke, but mine was serious.

interesting idea. I think the tebow rage started before Santorum hit the scene. I am not a big political guy though, so this is just my perception.

It is a little scary how Santorum parades as the god candidate but his official stance on many subjects differs from the catholic church. Personal beliefs somehow gets presented as the word of god.

I have a horrible time presenting points because my mind races so fast that by the time im half way done writing something down, ive forgotten my direction and thought of 3 other points, so i can't debate with you on this subject.

I bet you're not nearly as big an a-hole as you tend to come off here. At least, I'd like to think so.

It's how I feel. I live in a state where I, and others, are currently fighting a hateful and church-based proposed amendment to the state constitution, so forgive me if I feel like I'm in a war right now. One that I didn't choose, but am in none the less. One where "victory" simply means that the rights of my friends and neighbors simply won't be lessened, but not bettered.

So, in other words, I get pretty effing sick of hearing how the church feels "under attack" and that those who are turned off by people who make a big deal about their faith, "just can't handle their goodness". As soon the church, at large, gets out of my face, then I'll be glad to stop telling them to get out of my face.

I didn't take the bible and turn it into a divisive, hateful, and political tool. That's on someone else. I do feel sorry for good Christians who've had their faith exploited and sullied by so many in this country. And, like I said, I still like to think that Tebow is a good man, even if my exposure to so many high-profile and very outspoken alleged people of faith have been such a turn-off. I'm simply admitting that, because of what I'm seeing in this country, I have to fight through the crap to feel that way more than ever before.

Im from Oklahoma and the atmosphere is very similar here.

Maybe im a bigot cause i basically agree with everything you said here, but i really don't feel any ill towards people of faith. I feel a slight pity for people who go donate to a church so the pastor can buy his Mercedes tax free, run for office, and then get a cushy senate job being rich and doing absolutely nothing for the next 30+ years.

Jason Cole has ground his axe on the Saints & Reggie Bush in particular for quite a while. I can link a few old posts here and even link to several on the Saints forums as well as a few articles if you like. I really did not care to spend that kind of time or effort digging it up, but if you really need that verification I'd be more than happy to. As I was saying in my previous post, maybe some of my bias against Silver's article here stems from my distaste for Yahoo Sports & Cole in particular. However, when I first heard the story, I didn't realize he wrote for Yahoo and the initial impression was that he was sensationalizing Quinn's. Hearing that he wrote for Yahoo only made me feel more strongly about that impression.

So you don't like Jason Cole because he takes an (arguable) rip on your team, therefore Michael Silver is taking Brady Quinn's comments out of context and twisting them to suit the needs for his story? Weak sauce.

So you don't like Jason Cole because he takes an (arguable) rip on your team, therefore Michael Silver is taking Brady Quinn's comments out of context and twisting them to suit the needs for his story? Weak sauce.

You should have gotten to your point earlier instead of dancing around it.

I've already said numerous times in this thread that a lot of my issue has more to do with Cole, Yahoo Sports and that type of reporting in general. Throw in the fact that Silver himself said on air that he's had players in the past saying they we're displeased with how he portrayed their comments and the fact that Quinn is accusing him of doing the same and it's not that difficult to make the assumption that Silver may be doing just that and based on his own comments that this is not the first time either. If you want to call that "weak sauce" then be my guest.

Personally speaking, even IF he didn't take anything out of context and that is exactly how Brady Quinn feels, I think it's a douchebag move for Silver to report on it. What purpose does the article serve other than to create disruption in the Broncos locker room and to make a backup QB who just got leapfrogged out of his chance at starting look like a jerk in front of his teammates and alienate him from the fans? If you call stirring the pot & drumming up controversy great reporting then you can have it.

Edited by rajncajn

You should have gotten to your point earlier instead of dancing around it.

I was giving you the opportunity to tell me that you were full of crap instead of me having to tell you. :wacko:

Personally speaking, even IF he didn't take anything out of context and that is exactly how Brady Quinn feels, I think it's a douchebag move for Silver to report on it. What purpose does the article serve other than to create disruption in the Broncos locker room and to make a backup QB who just got leapfrogged out of his chance at starting look like a jerk in front of his teammates and alienate him from the fans? If you call stirring the pot & drumming up controversy great reporting then you can have it.

Brady Quinn's vantage point to all of this is kind of interesting, isn't it? I mean, Quinn said what he said, he has valid and unique observations about how Tebow practices, and how he's treated by the coaching staff. The controversy is him saying that Tebow's showboating the god stuff, that's nothing countless others haven't said, it's just rather interesting that it comes from another player (who is an RFA, and likely isn't going back to Denver anyway).

It's hardly great reporting, because it's presented as a series of observations from individuals. However, there are certainly no grounds to dismiss the article because you don't like some other writer that cashes checks from the same employer of the guy who compiled the piece.

I was giving you the opportunity to tell me that you were full of crap instead of me having to tell you. :wacko:

It's hardly great reporting, because it's presented as a series of observations from individuals. However, there are certainly no grounds to dismiss the article because you don't like some other writer that cashes checks from the same employer of the guy who compiled the piece.

Again, I began forming my opinion of the article and him before I even knew he worked for Yahoo and again, I see the article as pushing the limit of journalistic integrity as far as sports reporting goes. Take that however you will.

Edited by rajncajn