[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Randy Moss Myths

Infinity

Pretty cool group of videos. New footage in them and everything. Honestly, I forgot how fast he used to be.

1st Myth, Randy Moss is a quitter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc205O_Wtp4

2nd Myth, Randy Moss isn't a good route runner

3rd Myth, Randy Moss is not that Physical

There were some impressive stuff I had forgotten about in these videos

Edited by Infinity

Moss has always been one of my favorite players and his talent has always been elite. He was often unfairly criticized IMO and he is a lock for the HOF and has to be first ballot. He was never the locker room cancer of other WRs and most all of his extracurricular activities were acts of immaturity or just having fun. He was no criminal, I never heard him selling out his team mates or QBs when he certainly could on a couple of occasions.

I hated when someone else got to draft him in FF. I could remember playing against him whether it was on Monday night and being up big and losing because of him. Then again, there were other years where he was the only player left and won it for me. Crazy talent!!

Aside from running down traffic cops and possessing and smoking Josh Gordon?

He did not run down a cop, he bumped a traffic control person and was fined $1200 but there was no criminal charges, just a misdemeanor ten years ago.

As for Josh Gordon, he was tested positive in 1996 when he was 19 years old and was dismissed from FSU because of it. The only time he ever failed a drug test in the NFL was in 2001 and he was never again. I cannot imagine the number of NFL players who have failed one drug test for Josh Gordon and that was 11 years ago when he was just 23. Maybe he sounds worse running down a cop which he did not do and he did once fail a drug test for Josh Gordon but that hardly diminishes what he brought to the playing field. He was simply one of the best WR that ever played the game.

Seems weird that Moss gets tagged with being some sort of big pothead when there is no evidence for it. Particularly in light of how many other players have violated the drug policy.

I like too how his statement "I play when I want to play" was taken out of context and made it to look like he just occasionally tries when the mood hits him. They guy was money in his day to be sure.

He did not run down a cop, he bumped a traffic control person and was fined $1200 but there was no criminal charges, just a misdemeanor ten years ago.

As for Josh Gordon, he was tested positive in 1996 when he was 19 years old and was dismissed from FSU because of it. The only time he ever failed a drug test in the NFL was in 2001 and he was never again. I cannot imagine the number of NFL players who have failed one drug test for Josh Gordon and that was 11 years ago when he was just 23. Maybe he sounds worse running down a cop which he did not do and he did once fail a drug test for Josh Gordon but that hardly diminishes what he brought to the playing field. He was simply one of the best WR that ever played the game.

Seems weird that Moss gets tagged with being some sort of big pothead when there is no evidence for it. Particularly in light of how many other players have violated the drug policy.

I like too how his statement "I play when I want to play" was taken out of context and made it to look like he just occasionally tries when the mood hits him. They guy was money in his day to be sure.

This always irritated me. Moss was asked if others motivated him to play, of which he responded "i play when i want to play". Meaning he didn't need outside motivation, he motivated himself. Almost as bad attention to detail as the whole "Vikings didn't get their card in at the draft in time" urban myth. They traded the pick to Baltimore. Ozzy Newsome failed to get his end of the deal into the league office phone. As far as Minnesota was concerned, they weren't on the clock anymore. But that gets hung on Minnesota instead of Baltimore or the league office. :wacko:

You watch alot of ball. You trying to say you never watched Randy takes plays (let alone games) off?

I cannot explain what happened in Tennessee last year. But a split end who most often runs intermediate and long routes will not run through them all 100% at least once it is known that the ball is not coming his way and his role as drawing coverage has already been accomplished. He is ranked 9th all time in receptions, 5th all time in yardage, is tied for 2nd all-time in touchdowns, how many could he have taken off?

Moss was a force. He was also lazy and disrespected his craft. Both are true. His immense talent allowed achievement that is nearly unparalleled even while he was lazy and consistently took plays off and moped. Though he achieved much it is clear he could have achieved much more.

As for him being a pot head I don't really care, but in addition to his problem in college he did have roaches in his car during the meter maid incident so to say there is only one indication of his preference is not precisely correct, IIRC. Yes he said they belonged to someone else which is more or less not credible, but if true shows he is an idiot for not disposing of them.

As for the meter maid it is true he did not run her over. Some say, and those some are Moss and his apologists, that she jumped on to the hood of his car. O.K., maybe, but whether she did or not it does not excuse him then driving with her on the hood the wrong way down a street with dope in his car and it is of course possible that she did not jump on there but clung on for dear life.

Is a a villian? I don't think so. I do think he was a self entitled idiot who wasted the full extent of his gifts, but those gifts were his to do with as he pleased. I also note that he clearly did work to enable his gifts. One does not get that fit, that fast, without some seriously hard work.

In the end he is a bit of an enigma, but hardly public enemy #1.

I cannot explain what happened in Tennessee last year. But a split end who most often runs intermediate and long routes will not run through them all 100% at least once it is known that the ball is not coming his way and his role as drawing coverage has already been accomplished. He is ranked 9th all time in receptions, 5th all time in yardage, is tied for 2nd all-time in touchdowns, how many could he have taken off?

I'd suggest a percentage that was greater than 10% and maybe as high as 20% from my observations. Still he was a remarkable weapon and it is undeniable what he achieved.

Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike the other day and I was shocked to hear him say the following:

"The one thing you have to address with Randy Moss is not a conditioning thing," Carter said. "It's not an age thing. It needs to be addressed. I believe it's the elephant in the room. It's that thing called quit."

"And Randy, not like any other superstar I've met, he has more quit in him than any of those other players. So I need to address that," Carter said. "That's what [bill] Belichick did when he brought him over [to New England] from Oakland. He told him he wasn't going to have it.

"But Randy, when things don't go well, like no other player I've ever been around or associated with, he has a quit mechanism in him that's huge. That needs to be addressed before he signs with any team."

Edited by keggerz