[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Combine

Bronco Billy

A lot of emphasis is placed on the combine, and we can see some players earn or lose millions of dollars based upon their performance there.

How much emphasis do you put on the combine?

From my perspective, the combine is really way overrated. I'd much prefer to watch game film of guys rather than staged events in shirts and shorts. A guy who has proven that they can play on the field - especially those who excel against difficult competition - show me more than guys running 40s and high jumping.

I do use the combine as a red flag watch. If a guy puts up measureable numbers that are poor, I will downgrade him. A WR who can only hit 4.85 in the 40, a DT who can only press 225 lbs 12 times, a QB who can not generate zip on 10 yd outs - those put up warning flags that might make me pass in a FF draft on guys who might get drafted in a decent spot in the NFL. I also like to use it to see if the small school guys can put up measureables that are competitive with the big school players.

I do watch the catching gauntlet for RBs, WRs, and TEs to see how they adjust their bodies and how well they catch with their hand; and I like the cone drills for seeing acceleration and whether a player can maintain speed through cuts. But beyond that I'm pretty much only watching for a red flag to show up on a player and to get a comparative look at the small schoolers.

Your thoughts?

I don't pretend to know as much as the GMs and scouts that do this for a living and don't watch any of it. If some nobody generates eye-popping numbers and happens to fall to the Niners in the draft, I'll usually keep an eye on him during the camp and pre-season.

That said, I don't play in dynasty leagues, so the only rookies that me or anyone else in my leagues are ever looking at drafts are the ones that everyone basically knows about. If I'm grabbing a rookie WR or RB, his name is Julio Jones or Mark Ingram, not some kid taken in the 3rd round out of Tulsa. .

It can work both ways. BB wouldn't have drafted Ben Tate in the first five rounds without his combine performance. Vernon Davis wouldn't have gone top-10. Then you've got your Jamarcus Russell's and your Chad Jacksons (best combine WR I've ever seen). I tend to think the Wunderlic is the most important part of the combine, at least for the thinking positions. I don't know how you can argue with the general correlation between Wunderlic and success at the QB position. Certainly a few exceptions, but in general has been alarmingly accurate.

For some players, it can tell you quite a bit. For example, can Chris Polk be explosive enough to be a legit NFL back? I doubt he runs sub 4.6. If he goes 4.5 flat, then I'd certainly think he could contribute. Basically, I think there are specific examples to watch for, rather than general rules.

Off-topic, how has Bruce Campbell played thus far?

The good:

It provides an official listing of a player's height and weight.

The bad:

Like recruiting day for college football, it has a tendency to be incredibly over-hyped.

Over the next week or so, I'll probably do a little research on who moved up and who moved down based on the combine at some boards that I like to look at. There may be a handful of guys I'll check out to see when their pro days are to see what teams go to watch, but at this point, mostly I'm curious about what the Seahawks are going to do and the kinds of players they may be targeting.

As far as my dynasty research goes, I've made a more conscious effort to make judgments about players until after the draft. Where a player ends up has far more to do with his value than anything that happens at the combine, or any of the steps in the pre-draft process. After they've been allotted to a team, it makes much more sense to look back at these workouts in hindsight, rather than to evaluate them as they occur. Saves a great deal of time and energy as well.

there is nothing like watching an out of shape O-lineman with man boobs running the 40 :wacko: why they make them run without their shirts on is beyond me. it has to be degrading for them.

No one makes them run without their shirts. Andre Smith is really the only one that I can think of. Players choose to run with the tight under armor gear, or shirtless because they don't want times slowed by regular clothing.

I watch the coverage for the team analysis - what each team has as needs and what they could/should do to fill them in both the draft and free agency. Mayock tears this up. I'm a firm believer that the player is only 60-80% of the fantasy equation and it's the "rest" of the picture that determines FF championships. I don't care if Justin Blackmon runs a 4.4 40, but I do care if the analysts believe Ponder doesn't have the arm to take advantage of his speed, or the touch to take advantage of his route-running or if Bradford doesn't have the precision or the time in the pocket to take advantage of his separation skills.

No one makes them run without their shirts. Andre Smith is really the only one that I can think of. Players choose to run with the tight under armor gear, or shirtless because they don't want times slowed by regular clothing.

YES! It was Andre Smith, about 45 seconds in this linked video ...there is another one about 1:52 into the video.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=andre+smith+40

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

The good:

It provides an official listing of a player's height and weight.

The bad:

Like recruiting day for college football, it has a tendency to be incredibly over-hyped.

Over the next week or so, I'll probably do a little research on who moved up and who moved down based on the combine at some boards that I like to look at. There may be a handful of guys I'll check out to see when their pro days are to see what teams go to watch, but at this point, mostly I'm curious about what the Seahawks are going to do and the kinds of players they may be targeting.

As far as my dynasty research goes, I've made a more conscious effort to make judgments about players until after the draft. Where a player ends up has far more to do with his value than anything that happens at the combine, or any of the steps in the pre-draft process. After they've been allotted to a team, it makes much more sense to look back at these workouts in hindsight, rather than to evaluate them as they occur. Saves a great deal of time and energy as well.

This is spot on, imo. Agreed 100%