[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vincent Jackson

Savage Beatings

Sounds like San Diego is considering the Franchise Tag on Vincent Jackson again. :wacko:

If they do it, do you think he will play or will he sit again? Sure $14 Million is nothing to sneeze at, but what a massive F YOU from AJ Smith that would be.

Again, there is no way AJ keeps his job in 2013 if V-Jax is lost. If they do FT him, consider it a larger time span in order to agree on a long term deal. V-Jax will AGAIN be in a contract year if no deal is reached so his production should not decrease as this is the last year the FT can be applied. Even if no deal is made and Jackson gets the transition tag in 2013, he'll have a nice healthy contract should the Chargers match.

Again, there is no way AJ keeps his job in 2013 if V-Jax is lost. If they do FT him, consider it a larger time span in order to agree on a long term deal. V-Jax will AGAIN be in a contract year if no deal is reached so his production should not decrease as this is the last year the FT can be applied. Even if no deal is made and Jackson gets the transition tag in 2013, he'll have a nice healthy contract should the Chargers match.

So you think he will just accept it and play a full season under the FT if it happens?

So you think he will just accept it and play a full season under the FT if it happens?

I thought I read in another thread that under the new CBA you cannot just sit out the first 10 games like guys were doing in the past, and then get credit for a full year towards free agency.

I doubt this is true. We'd be hearing left and right how Forte couldn't sit until week 10 this year whereas in previous years he could have.

From the new CBA:

Section 1. Accrued Seasons Calculation:

(a) For the purposes of calculating Accrued Seasons under this Agreement, a player shall receive one Accrued Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of six or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which the player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List, (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury, or (iii) a Club’s Practice Squad.

(:wacko: A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which he failed to report to such Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season, or in which the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within thirty days of the application by the player, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

Edited by tazinib1

Just pay the man and give him a long term deal - or just f'ng let him go!

I'm really hoping they get a long-term deal done.

When I think about all the receivers the Bolts have allowed to leave...... :wacko:

The latest from the Union-Tribune:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing really new after Chargers, Jackson's agents meet

Written by Kevin Acee, 4:45 p.m., Feb. 24, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS — The agents for Vincent Jackson heard for the first time directly from the Chargers that the team desires to keep Jackson in the fold and that using the franchise tag is an improbable option.

Jackson’s side essentially knew those things already, as both had been reported for a month, but the significance of Thursday night's meeting should not be discounted. The agents are also hearing from a half-dozen other teams who are interested in acquiring Jackson.

General Manager A.J. Smith was not present at the meeting, and no contract numbers were exchanged and likely will not be until the free agency period begins on March 13.

The Chargers are believed to be willing to pay Jackson between $10-11 million annually on a five-year deal, but they are inclined to let the market be set by others. Jackson is expected to receive more in offers from other teams.

Jackson, who has had more than 1,000 yards receiving each of his past three full seasons and leads the Chargers with 28 touchdowns since 2008, is considered along with Kansas City’s Dwayne Bowe, to be at the top of a deep class of unrestricted free agent receivers.

Both Philip Rivers and Norv Turner have expressed their hope that the Chargers retain Jackson, and General Manager A.J. Smith is finally open to a long-term deal with the receiver after balking due to Jackson's two DUI arrests and arrest for driving on a suspended license. However, Smith also needs to find a starting outside linebacker, strong safety and either re-sign left tackle Jared Gaither and center Nick Hardwick or replace them both.

Jackson, too, has expressed his desire to remain in San Diego, with Rivers and Turner, despite past tensions with the front office. There is even a belief by those who have talked with Jackson that he would take less from the Chargers than he could get elsewhere. However, he has desired a long-term commitment from the Chargers for more than three years and his list of suitors will make re-signing him a challenge once he gets to the open market.

The Chargers still could place the $13.7 million franchise tag on Jackson until March 5, but team sources have long termed that highly unlikely due to the need to fill so many other holes.

General Manager A.J. Smith was not present at the meeting, and no contract numbers were exchanged and likely will not be until the free agency period begins on March 13.

God damnit....how much more do we need to see that this Oprahing Brooklyn Decker does not belong in a front office. Anywere!!!!

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee, "there is (a belief)" free agent Vincent Jackson is willing to give the Chargers a hometown discount.

Acee also reports the franchise tag is considered an "improbable option" for Jackson, and that he's seeking at least a three-year contract. Acee reported Friday the Chargers are "believed" to be willing to give V-Jax a deal worth $11-12 million annually over five years. Not including the Chargers, a "half-dozen teams" have reportedly expressed interest in Jackson at this week's Scouting Combine. Even if the Bolts are willing to give Jackson roughly $55 million over five years, that kind of interest could make him hard to retain if he hits the open market.

I consider Acee one of the foremost beat writers in the business. If this is true, and AJ fails to sign Vincent........I just hope ownership sticks to its guns and fires that sack of crap after this season.

VJ and Colston...Rivers just might make it further into the postseason. I think we need a TRUE threat on the other side to make up for the slowdown of Gates. Slot Floyd and... :wacko:

Pierre Garcon would be a nice option as well and would cost considerably less than Colston. Garcon just turned down a 5yr offer from the Colts.

Pierre Garcon would be a nice option as well and would cost considerably less than Colston. Garcon just turned down a 5yr offer from the Colts.

Something about Garcon doesn't seem right to me. I've seen him have great games and really bad games. I'd hate to have a $8 million Casper ghosting on and off. I think Colston has proved he can be counted on.

I tend to be pro ownership on contract matters. In Jckson's case, however, I would say the franschise has taken advantage of the rules, within the rules, but that they have not shown him any good faith. He has been captive to thewir cheap ways far to long through what amounted to an anomoly. Few franchises would treat players as they have as it is an indication to their own players and to potential free agents that they will be taken advantage of if ever that is an option. That is not a message one wants to send, I would think.

Latest from the Union-Tribune:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be a market for Vincent Jackson, and some team will give him more than $10 million a year on a long-term deal.

That’s about all that appears certain, as Jackson’s side and other teams await word on what the Chargers will do.

It appears they’ll continue waiting for a while.

The team is seemingly content to let Jackson field offers elsewhere before making their play for the man who leads them in receiving yards over the past four seasons despite missing 10 games in a contract dispute in 2010.

Several people around the league, including people with teams interested in Jackson, have expressed the opinion that the Chargers will ultimately franchise their star wide receiver by the March 5 deadline. Chargers sources continue to place the chances of Jackson being given the franchise tag (and the $13.7 million it would require) at less than 1 percent, but they also insist it is an option.

The Chargers appear to be banking on the top end of the wide receiver market not being as lucrative as projected – a notion that does have legs, according to some in the league – and Jackson wanting to stay in San Diego will work in their favor. In fact, sources familiar with Jackson’s thinking say he would take less to stay in San Diego.

If I were a rookie about to be drafted, I would pull an Eli Manning and basically tell them that this is the one organization that I would never play for (I would no longer include the Raiders now that Al is dirt napping).

Today a guy on one of the sports talk radio stations in Chicago says he has a source :rolling eyes: that told him if VJax hits the free agent market, the Patriots are going to make him a hugh contract offer.

Just a goofy rumor. Don't hold me to it.

As much as I hate V-Jax leaving, his loss spells the doom of AJ Smith. I can live with that.

The Bears and Patriots are the 2 teams that I can see making a serious run.

Edited by tazinib1

Why do I think that Jackson is a turd? Recent FF experience maybe?

Well if you are basing it on drafting him in 2010 and watching him rot on your roster during his hold out, then probably. If you drafted him in a PPR league expecting a high reception total, then probably, Other than that, he's averaged 1,1k yards and 8.5 TD's since 2008.

As much as I hate V-Jax leaving, his loss spells the doom of AJ Smith. I can live with that.

The Bears and Patriots are the 2 teams that I can see making a serious run.

PFT says the Bills are interested too.