[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints D being busted for bounty program

rajncajn

NFL announces a comprehensive investigation find Saints defense and coaches guilty of violating NFL rules by having bounties on opponents...

Much, much more to come of this and will get the entire press release out ASAP

@JasonLaConfora

:facepalm:

Thanks a ton GW.

:link:

By Adam Schefter

ESPN

Archive

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the investigation.

The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.

"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said in a statement.

Edited by rajncajn

From what I'm reading, it goes a lot deeper than just Williams. The coaching staff had knowledge of it, as did Benson, who demanded they stop it immediatley, which they didn't. Also reading that this can/will lead to suspensions/loss of draft pick(s). I know I'm in the minority here, but if this is all true, this is just as bad as the Patriots and spygate.

Not only is this reprehensible from a fan perspective, it's deeply troubling as a Rams fan since we just hired this jackass. Great.

From what I'm reading, it goes a lot deeper than just Williams. The coaching staff had knowledge of it, as did Benson, who demanded they stop it immediatley, which they didn't. Also reading that this can/will lead to suspensions/loss of draft pick(s). I know I'm in the minority here, but if this is all true, this is just as bad as the Patriots and spygate.

Yep, it sure looks that way. I wouldn't go so far as saying it was cheating for an advantage like with spygate, but equally as shameful.

So does he get suspended? Does Fisher fire him and get a new guy? Will the Saints have to pay penalties other than monetary and picks? Lots of questions. This is gonna get ugly.

So does he get suspended? Does Fisher fire him and get a new guy? Will the Saints have to pay penalties other than monetary and picks? Lots of questions. This is gonna get ugly.

If I have to guess, the league is going to come down hard & heavy. Fines to coaches, suspensions for players & the loss of multiple draft picks.

Will the Saints to have to vacate their Super Bowl in 2009? Are the Colts now Champs? :woot:

:lol: You still lost no matter what happens.

Nope. The Vikings get in and now Favre has to come out of retirement and Peyton needs to suit up and they play it all over again.

When will that game be, can we have it played ASAP because I think we'd all enjoy some NFL action.

Yep very shameful, in some ways worse than spygate (bounty to injure players) and in other ways it isn't as bad (they're not cheating to get an advantage).

PON has a point, except I doubt the rewards were causing them to knock many more key players out of the game than usual.

They've been talking about it on NFL Live. According to Adam Schefter, the league had ordered the gm Loomis to stop the program but he didn't. Sean Payton also supposedly knew about it but didn't stop it.

This is going to get messy.

PON has a point, except I doubt the rewards were causing them to knock many more key players out of the game than usual.

If you can, go back and watch the Saints/Vikings game in the playoffs. Favre was mauled several times late. You can't tell me that the Saints DL weren't thinking about getting $10,000 from Vilma for knocking Favre out. Schefter just said that the punishment is going to be more severe than anything we've seen... Suspensions and fines for all players, coaches, and front office types that participated in/had knowledge of... Plus loss of draft picks. Holy crap. This is crazy.

I only wish this would have come out before GW left so that at least the Saints could save some face and fire his ass.

You and me both! Now we're stuck with him. If you were the Rams, Rajn, would you fire him just to avoid the controversy?

You and me both! Now we're stuck with him. If you were the Rams, Rajn, would you fire him just to avoid the controversy?

I would fire him because he's a POS who doesn't do anything but blitz and can't even do that well anymore. The word among Saints fans was that he was going to be shown the door anyway after the season and he just got out while the gettin' was good.

Thanks Kurt...

Warner: Saints hit legal, not career ending

Kurt Warner, speaking Friday on Sports 620 KTAR, used the word "disappointing" to describe allegations the New Orleans Saints organized bounties for knockout hits on opposing players.

But the former Arizona Cardinals quarterback said he wasn't surprised. He also said the hit Bobby McCray delivered in knocking out Warner from a playoff game at New Orleans two years ago was legal, and had nothing to do with Warner's decision to retire.

"To think that guys didn't think, 'Hey, we'd love to knock Kurt out or we'd love to knock Brett Favre out, or Drew Brees -- or whoever it might be -- I think that's part of the game and I think that's part of the mindset," Warner said.

Warner described McCray's blindside hit as a "nice exclamation point" on his career, and one that left him sore for a couple weeks. But Warner also said his decision to retire was one that had been in the works for some time.