[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints D being busted for bounty program

rajncajn

Talk about not getting any bang for your buck...

So, should Goodell assess those bounties against the cap?

Good question and I think it may depend on who was fronting the money. If the players were putting up their own money like it sounds then I don't think so. Has anything like that ever been done before?

Good question and I think it may depend on who was fronting the money. If the players were putting up their own money like it sounds then I don't think so. Has anything like that ever been done before?

You need to get that sarcasm meter re-calibrated, GB

Edited by Bronco Billy

Honestly, as much as I revel in any chance to bash the Saints, I really can't think of any instances in the past few years where I was like, damn that's pretty blatantly dirty (though maybe I'm forgetting or it's no different than Falcons/Saints rivalry usually is: hard-fought)... Really the Falcons have been accused far more of "dirty play" the last couple years, so I'm kind of scared to wonder what kind of program Smith might have going. :weird:

I only wish this would have come out before GW left so that at least the Saints could save some face and fire his ass.

They've been talking about it on NFL Live. According to Adam Schefter, the league had ordered the gm Loomis to stop the program but he didn't. Sean Payton also supposedly knew about it but didn't stop it.

hmmm....you hopin' they save face and fire Loomis and Payton's asses too?

Pay for performance of any kind could be viewed as salary cap circumvention. Regardless of it was from player to player or coach to player, if the team knew about it then they're liable... Yikes, this story is getting crazier by the day.

Here is a question that may or may not be crazy at the end of the day... Do the recipients of the payoff report those earnings to the IRS?

I would fire him because he's a POS who doesn't do anything but blitz and can't even do that well anymore. The word among Saints fans was that he was going to be shown the door anyway after the season and he just got out while the gettin' was good.

Wasn't GW's contract up at the end of this past season (thought it was a one year deal, maybe)? And then Fisher called him up, which was the main reason why he did not have to be shown the door anyway?

In this age of the NFL, with all of the rule changes to avoid injuries, the new concussion guidlines, et al, I think the NFL is going to come down with the house, not just both feet on the Saints.

Having said that... I now await to hear that other teams have been doing it as well.

Reports are coming out that Williams ran a similar system while with the Redskins from 2004-2007. Gonna get ugly

Williams will get a minimum of a one year suspension, perhaps more. They will go easier on the others, especially the players, but draft picks... yup, fines, BIG time. This investigation will be long and drawn out, but people like Williams will get their penalties early, before the investigation is over.

In the NCAA, it would be banishment, but thi$ is the NFL.

Yep, it sure looks that way. I wouldn't go so far as saying it was cheating for an advantage like with spygate, but equally as shameful.

I don't really think the bounty system would have given the Saints a big advantage, and I'm sure other teams do it, but why wouldn't you call it cheating for an advantage?

The league has a very clear rule against bounties, which the saints broke. They broke that rule because they thought it would give them an advantage, not hurt their chances.

If you can, go back and watch the Saints/Vikings game in the playoffs. Favre was mauled several times late. You can't tell me that the Saints DL weren't thinking about getting $10,000 from Vilma for knocking Favre out. Schefter just said that the punishment is going to be more severe than anything we've seen... Suspensions and fines for all players, coaches, and front office types that participated in/had knowledge of... Plus loss of draft picks. Holy crap. This is crazy.

What about the refs?

Honestly, as much as I revel in any chance to bash the Saints, I really can't think of any instances in the past few years where I was like, damn that's pretty blatantly dirty (though maybe I'm forgetting or it's no different than Falcons/Saints rivalry usually is: hard-fought)... Really the Falcons have been accused far more of "dirty play" the last couple years, so I'm kind of scared to wonder what kind of program Smith might have going. :weird:

Man, that playoff game against the Vikings was pretty bad. Favre took numerous cheap shots. Refs are to blame IMO as well.

The league has a very clear rule against bounties, which the saints broke. They broke that rule because they thought it would give them an advantage, not hurt their chances.

Seems like a bit of a stretch. They broke the rules and are shameless jackasses for it, but to say it's a competitive advantage is a bit much. I'm pretty sure 10k really isn't that hugh a deal to a NFL player that would make more than that for getting to the SB game check. If one of them actually was called for a dirty play and suspended it would cost them much more than they would gain.