[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots' Green-Ellis set to explore free-agent options

Papajohn

Something tells me that BJGE is going to struggle when Ds aren't in nickel and dime packages most of the time, and LBs aren't dropped 7 yds off the LoS at the snap. His running style and ability just look fairly ordinary to me.

Yeah that's a good point, he hasn't really shown anything special. We'll have to see how CIN uses him and what other weapons (esp at RB) they get.

As an owner in a keeper league I hope he can produce better in CIN with less competition (and more focus on running), but I'm not counting on it.

Something tells me that BJGE is going to struggle when Ds aren't in nickel and dime packages most of the time, and LBs aren't dropped 7 yds off the LoS at the snap. His running style and ability just look fairly ordinary to me.

Yeah that's a good point, he hasn't really shown anything special. We'll have to see how CIN uses him and what other weapons (esp at RB) they get.

As an owner in a keeper league I hope he can produce better in CIN with less competition (and more focus on running), but I'm not counting on it.

Both of you will be proven wrong :)

If healthy BJGE will be a top 20 back in the league for sure. But before I make an even bolder statement I will need to await the draft.

Edit: maybe I should make a signature stating that I am the official BJGE nut hugger of The Huddle

Edited by Papajohn

This is a typical Mike Brown signing. He's not going to break the bank for any FA, especially after the Antonio Bryant fiasco from a couple of years ago. IMO, BJGE is the best Bengals fans could of hoped for in a FA RB. We weren't going to go after Bush, since he would have been more expensive. I like the move as a Bengals fan, but this probably ends any hope of us moving up to knab Trent Richardson in the draft. I'm starting to think that Richardson doesn't make it past Cle at #4 if they can't move back in the draft.

If healthy BJGE will be a top 20 back in the league for sure. But before I make an even bolder statement I will need to await the draft.

Edit: maybe I should make a signature stating that I am the official BJGE nut hugger of The Huddle

That would be great, I might have to keep him, DWill or both.

This is a typical Mike Brown signing. He's not going to break the bank for any FA, especially after the Antonio Bryant fiasco from a couple of years ago. IMO, BJGE is the best Bengals fans could of hoped for in a FA RB. We weren't going to go after Bush, since he would have been more expensive. I like the move as a Bengals fan, but this probably ends any hope of us moving up to knab Trent Richardson in the draft. I'm starting to think that Richardson doesn't make it past Cle at #4 if they can't move back in the draft.

I think that's pretty clear unless the Browns trade out of that pick, he's the guy they need to draft.

For sure? Two years ago when he was healthy, and facing nickel and dime package defenses he ran for 4.4 a carry. Last year it was 3.8. BJGE only strong suit is that he doesn't fumble. Other than that he's as average of a running back in the NFL.

For sure? Two years ago when he was healthy, and facing nickel and dime package defenses he ran for 4.4 a carry. Last year it was 3.8. BJGE only strong suit is that he doesn't fumble. Other than that he's as average of a running back in the NFL.

Don't try to reason with us nut-huggers. Logic is not our forte :)

Edit: I will go on record for saying that in next year's Fantasy season BJGE is a top 20 RB.

Edited by Papajohn

Don't try to reason with us nut-huggers. Logic is not our forte :)

Edit: I will go on record for saying that in next year's Fantasy season BJGE is a top 20 RB.

Bengals OC Jay Gruden envisions a "hot hand" approach in his backfield next season.

"I don't know what it will be," Gruden said of the rotation. "But (Green-Ellis) deserves to carry the ball. (Bernard) Scott deserves more carries. ... If a guy gets hot, he'll get the carries. They both understand that. ... That's going to be worked out in training camp." Although Scott has a stark playmaking edge, Gruden loves Green-Ellis' ball security and ability to avoid negative plays.

Source: Bengals.com

Mar 22 - 6:26 PM

Well, BJGE had better have the hot hand a lot.

Well, BJGE had better have the hot hand a lot.

Why? Unless you really believe "coach speak" in March really trickles in to the season. I think BJGE has a pretty good season if the roster stays as is for the most part. If they draft a RB early, of course it would change things a bit, but if they dont, I think you are easily looking at a top 15-20 season from BJGE.

Why? Unless you really believe "coach speak" in March really trickles in to the season. I think BJGE has a pretty good season if the roster stays as is for the most part. If they draft a RB early, of course it would change things a bit, but if they dont, I think you are easily looking at a top 15-20 season from BJGE.

No, because I don't think BJGE is really a "special" back, that Bernard Scott is still there and IMO has been underutilized, and that CIN may draft another RB in the first 2 to 3 rounds.

That's why.

No, because I don't think BJGE is really a "special" back, that Bernard Scott is still there and IMO has been underutilized, and that CIN may draft another RB in the first 2 to 3 rounds.

That's why.

Fair enough, but like I said, if they draft a RB in the 1st 2-3 rounds, all bets are off (not that I made any). However, if they dont, despite him not being "special", he will still produce.

Updating a previous report, the Cincinnati Bengals signed RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis (Patriots) to a three-year deal reportedly worth around $9 million. Analysis: Bengals OC Jay Gruden is excited about Green-Ellis. BenJarvus can suit many different styles and he is a consistent performer. "He can run inside or outside, he can catch and he can get you the tough yards," Gruden said. Over the past two years Green-Ellis has 24 rushing touchdowns, second in the NFL behind Houston's Arian Foster's (26).

Of course those were all in NE, but I think CIN can move the ball pretty well and should give him some good opportunities.

Fair enough, but like I said, if they draft a RB in the 1st 2-3 rounds, all bets are off (not that I made any). However, if they dont, despite him not being "special", he will still produce.

Of course those were all in NE, but I think CIN can move the ball pretty well and should give him some good opportunities.

To an extent I think you guys are both saying the same thing. BJGE is not every special, I think we can all agree on that (compared to the elite RB in the NFL). But if he is the main guy, or even a 60/40 to 50/50 guy in CIN he can still produce well, and probably better than NE who haven't used a single back much in their recent past, and are intent on throwing a lot more than running.

As a guy who has him on my team, and has weak RB prospects for keepers I like this, and consider it an upgrade to his potential in NE. He was never really part of the passing game there and lost too many opportunties to Woodhead and others.

If CIN spends a high pick on a RB, then it downgrades him some, probably below his value in NE. Otherwise :tup: