[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brandon Marshall to the Bears

tazinib1

Yea I am shocked it was for just 2 3rd rounders. If its to clear the way for Peyton, I hope they have some ideas for someone to throw the dang ball too....as of right now...thats scary lol.

As a Lions fan, I take this deal on a different level. That level is I am not worried at all. Baaaa-ring it.

As a Vikings fan I am totally jealous and a little pissed that Minnesota hasn't pulled the trigger on a big name WR like this yet. What a great trade (at a relative bargain) for the Bears. Looks like the Vikes won't be climbing out of the cellar anytime soon.

It seems like trouble is still following Marshall around. Per KFFL.com:

Bears | Details about incident concerning Brandon Marshall

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:42:10 -0700

Updating a previous report, the attorney for Chicago Bears WR Brandon Marshall posted a statement Tuesday, March 13, concerning reports of an incident which might receive an NFL review. "On March 12,2012 Brandon Marshall was the key note speaker at a charitable event in New York. After the event was over he, his wife and close friends attended a function at a local club. While at the function a fight broke out NOT involving Mr. Marshall or his friends. While attempting to leave to avoid the melee Mrs. Marshall was struck in the face by a thrown bottle. She suffered serious injury.

While attempting to leave and take his wife to the hospital, the mayhem continued outside. Finally Mr. Marshall was able to take his wife to the hospital where she was treated for serious injuries. Mr. Marshall is hoping to assist authorities in regards to this matter."

Edited by Wolverines Fan

I almost posted something earlier before the newest news that the largest impediment for Marshall not putting up a good year would be his wife not stabbing him to death the 2nd time around. I'm guessing this is why he went for two 3rds (which isn't necessarily as cheap as everyone is making it out to be). There have been productive WRs that have been signed via free agency in recent history that didn't take draft picks to acquire. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Marshall put up a 90+/1000+/ 6+ type season, but even with the off the field stuff it's seemed like, maybe because of his injury, he's seemingly gone from a big game breaker in 07-08 to a hyper PPR type player; not a stud as much as a hyped up Wes Welker, in a good way.

I think he will help out the Bears quite a bit, but his awesome talent is a bit overblown...no?

Either way, the Bears should just pay Denver to make picks for them since Chicago can't or won't acquire most of their best players through the draft.

Edited by bushwacked

Bushie...this league has turned into a pass heavy league, mostly isolating and finding individual matchups to exploit.

Look at what Vernon Davis did to the Saints. He basically said there was no way in hell that Malcolm Jenkins could cover him one on one...he took over that game and won it.

Marshall is THAT type of player....once they find the matchup they need, he can take over a game and get them in positions to win the game. So, it's still a team game to win, but it's a QB/WR league to put teams in the best chance to win. Not concerned about Marshall as he had ID'd a medical condition and I don't remember hearing boo about him last year from an attitude perspective (I could be wrong).

From a Bears fan perspective...we might have expected Roy Williams to take over a game last year? Bennett? Knox? This is a major upgrade for the team and for 2 3rd rounders, it's a palatable price to pay. Couple that with Cutler and Marshall actually being friends off the field, it made perfect sense. The only problem I have is this didn't happen last year.

Your attempt at hughmor in regards to the team's drafting ability? You have to wipe the slate clean with the new GM. This team will be recovering for the next 3-4 years from Angelo's carnage, and then, all of their key players on D will be very old. There really is a 2 year window for this team ISMHO.

uh oh

The New York Post reports Bears WR Brandon Marshall "slugged" a woman at a Chelsea nightclub early last Sunday morning.

The incident allegedly started as a fight between Marshall and another football player. Marshall ended up "cold-cocking" the woman in the left eye, though it's not clear if the punch was meant for her or was misdirected in the melee. During the donnybrook, Marshall's wife was hit in the face by a thrown bottle. It's not known that the Dolphins knew about the incident prior to the Marshall trade. Per FOX Sports' Alex Marvez, Marshall's contract clause guaranteeing $6 million of his $9.3 million salary voids if he's suspended by the NFL. Given his long and sordid history of violence, that's a distinct possibility.

I think he will help out the Bears quite a bit, but his awesome talent is a bit overblown...no?

Kind of a tough call for me. I will never draft Marshall in FF. But in real football terms I think he does add quite a bit to the Bears. They haven't had a WR that had near his talent in a very long time. So if the defense still has some juice and stays healthy, I think the Bears could be a much improved team. So I definitely think he was worth what they traded. As far as his talent, it just kind of depends on what you think the real "him" is. The reason I hated him in fantasy is because he would do very little for several games and then all the sudden have a 3TD 150yard game on your bench.

I love it when you talk without thinking: the Vikes averaged 4th-5th in passing for the first four (out of five) years he was HC.

So clearly, passing is a second thought with him, and Marshall is merely in the pack with Hester, Knox and Bennett and won't be their standout. :lol:

Tice didn't call a single play during that time, not one.

Marshall will clearly be the leader of that corps, but they're going to run INFINITELY more so than they did with Martz, and Forte is still going to get a bunch of catches. There won't be 100 for Marshall. No chance. 80 or 90, sure, but not 100. That is too many for this offense. O-line coaches turned coordinators don't throw the ball around the yard nearly enough for that to happen.

Marshall will clearly be the leader of that corps, but they're going to run INFINITELY more so than they did with Martz, and Forte is still going to get a bunch of catches. There won't be 100 for Marshall. No chance. 80 or 90, sure, but not 100. That is too many for this offense. O-line coaches turned coordinators don't throw the ball around the yard nearly enough for that to happen.

Dear Lord, I love your brand of dumb hyperbole! ANY basic google search will show you that while not the primary playcaller in Minnesota he was in fact involved at calling plays during his tenure. So, wrong on that count.

I'll also point out if you think Marshall can rack up 90 catches in 16 games he has a chance at 100, so you're clearly not thinking straight on that one either since you kind of disagree with yourself.

But, of course, the best one is the 'infinitely" statment re Forte's touches. Mike Martz had him at 203 carries in 12 starts, which includes the start he was injured and left early (5 touches). Without even compensating for that, those #'s project to a 273 carry season had he remained healthy which would have placed him 7th in the league. So, you're expecting him to carry 550 times (which is only double?) Or are you shooting for 775? :lol:

Dude - look stuff up before you try to sound like you know what you're talking about.

Edited by Pope Flick

Dear Lord, I love your brand of dumb hyperbole! ANY basic google search will show you that while not the primary playcaller in Minnesota he was in fact involved at calling plays during his tenure. So, wrong on that count.

Come again? I was wrong about him calling a single play?

Forte will be top 3 in carries this year if healthy.

Expecting Mike Tice to run an imaginative passing offense seems a bit far-fetched to me.

:rolleyes:

So there's "no chance" Marshall will catch 100 balls but he does have a fair chance at 90. :huh:

Come again? I was wrong about him calling a single play?

Forte will be top 3 in carries this year if healthy.

Expecting Mike Tice to run an imaginative passing offense seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Yes you were wrong about Tice's play calling. Your Forte statement here is ind irect contrast to what you said: he would have been a top five back this year in terms of carries had he finished healthy, and like it or not Tice ran a top 5 passing offense for his first four years as Vikes HC.

You can ignore the facts, but 3 strikes and you are out. Do research next time you run your mouth.

This is FREAKING AWESOME!!! Brandon marshall is EXACTLY what Chicago needed. Brandon Marshall wants to be THE RECEIVER. Well, we got plenty of room for that!! His chemistry with Cutler is great! This will alleviate a lot of pressure and give Forte a better chance to run the ball, and hopefully we draft some O. Line.

Its a good thing for the NFL that we didn't get Mario Williams, there would have been a quarterback shortage due to injuries and shame by the 8th game.

BEARS SUPERBOWL 2013!!

Yes you were wrong about Tice's play calling. Your Forte statement here is ind irect contrast to what you said: he would have been a top five back this year in terms of carries had he finished healthy, and like it or not Tice ran a top 5 passing offense for his first four years as Vikes HC.

You can ignore the facts, but 3 strikes and you are out. Do research next time you run your mouth.

Mike Tice has never called a play into a huddle in his entire life. This is a fact that cannot be disputed. Stating this fact makes me incorrect. About what?? Huh??

Didn't you literally just say that Forte was 7th in carries? Now top 5? Explain.

Mike Tice never ran a top 5 passing offense. He never ran ANY offense. His offensive coordinator ran a top-5 passing offense. Mike Tice watched his offensive coordinator run a top-5 passing offense.

If I'm running my mouth, make a wager. Wager that Marshall gets 100 catches. Wager that Tice has a top passing offense. Don't worry, I'll wait.

Edited by Seahawks21

Mike Tice has never called a play into a huddle in his entire life. This is a fact that cannot be disputed.

:huh: Seriously? You think Tice never called a play in his career? And you think this is a fact that cannot be disputed? Care to provide some support for that other than your opinion, because I think you are not only wrong, but are way wrong.

Mike Tice never ran a top 5 passing offense. He never ran ANY offense. His offensive coordinator ran a top-5 passing offense.

:lol: And a HC is not responsible for the OC, the DC, and the direction of the team on both sides of the ball? Is it your contention that a HC has absolutely no influence on the plays being run by each unit on his team?

I've said this before more than a few times, and it seems particularly apt here:

When one finds oneself in a hole, it's a good idea to stop digging.

I certainly think Marshall has a good chance of getting 100 receptions.

The whole running infinately more is also in serious question. The Bears, last season were 9th in rushing attempts and 27th in passing attempts. Even if they don't throw it more, which I suspect they will, Mardshall had 102 reeptions once already on only 467 attempts by Cutler in Denver. Last year Cutler threw it 31 times a game prior to injury. That is not that much and would land them in the mid 20's these days.

It is not about attempts as much as radar lock on a target. Marshall is assured to get a ton of targets. in 2009 he had 154 targets and 101 receptions. In 2011 he had 141 targets and 82. Bottom line, given thier history Marshall is a major upgrade and certainly has a better QB thrwoing him the ball.

The biggest concern is Marshall needs to stay on his Meds. He seems to have some serious Bi-Polar concerns. Trouble finds him easily.

Edited by Ice1

Mike Tice has never called a play into a huddle in his entire life. This is a fact that cannot be disputed. Stating this fact makes me incorrect. About what?? Huh??

Didn't you literally just say that Forte was 7th in carries? Now top 5? Explain.

Mike Tice never ran a top 5 passing offense. He never ran ANY offense. His offensive coordinator ran a top-5 passing offense. Mike Tice watched his offensive coordinator run a top-5 passing offense.

If I'm running my mouth, make a wager. Wager that Marshall gets 100 catches. Wager that Tice has a top passing offense. Don't worry, I'll wait.

About your Forte statement: he'll get INFINITELY more carries than he got under Martz. That's what you said. And if you're going to go all weasly on me in regard to that (which you are), then I am going to say he was already on his way to a top 5 back, since if his #'s projected him to 7th last year at 273 (without compensating for the game he got injured, I just included the 5 carries before getting hurt), I now want those carries he didn't get in the game he was injured in, add another 15 for a game total of 20 (reasonable for his pace last year) which would give him 288 on the year and actually put him fourth ahead of Marshawn Lynch - he would in fact have been 5th in carries with even 14 in that game and his continued pace after.

So, he won't get the ball any more with Tice running the show because he was already where you said he wasn't, to the tune of INFINITELY or something like that.

Dude - run a search and there are all types of articles about how Tice did call plays during his Vikes run. There's a thing called google. So, it's very much in dispute and makes you wrong about what you just stated. How hard is that to understand?

And no, I'm not going to make a bet with someone who is as intellectually dishonest as you. I don't welch around here and I have no idea of your payment history but frankly it wouldn't surprise me if you pulled a vanishing act if you got faced in a bet since you can't even stay honest within your own arguments. Show me a time you lost a bet and paid here and I'll reconsider, but there's no way I'll be the first guy to bet you.

BJ - where's the thread seahawks said he has only ever been wrong once? It seems like it might be time to revisit that for laughs.

Edited by Pope Flick