[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cowboys sign the final piece of the puzzle!

bpwallace49

I doubt we'll ever really know for sure...but I am guessing there could have been several other teams Orton could have gone to with at least a chance to start...I am guessing part of the sell was that should Romo continue to falter, he could be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys a lot quicker than most believe.

I doubt we'll ever really know for sure...but I am guessing there could have been several other teams Orton could have gone to with at least a chance to start...I am guessing part of the sell was that should Romo continue to falter, he could be the QB of the Dallas Cowboys a lot quicker than most believe.

Hahahaha you sound like an Eagle fan. Keep Dreaming!

The Cowboys really needed a quality backup given the high risk of injury at the position. This was a smart signing.

Hahahaha you sound like an Eagle fan. Keep Dreaming!

The Cowboys really needed a quality backup given the high risk of injury at the position. This was a smart signing.

+1 on the second part of your post, but -1 on the first.

Please enlighten me as to what Romo has done the last several seasons to make you think he is irreplaceable as the starter should his carelessness with the football and inability to lead the team to playoff success continue.

Please enlighten me as to what Romo has done the last several seasons to make you think he is irreplaceable as the starter should his carelessness with the football and inability to lead the team to playoff success continue.

4100-31-10 is a pretty good stat line. If Miles Austin catches the ball against the Giants, Dallas wins the division. He's not a top 5 qb, but he's a top 10 for sure, and still has years left. Living in Dallas I think I'm unintentionally plugged in, and I think there is zero chance Romo is in any danger for the next 3-4 years. Outside of a little streak from Demarco Murray, Romo had little help out of the backfield, horrible interior line, and a soft defense. If we're rankings needs for Dallas, I'd put him as right behind DeMarcus Ware as the least of their troubles.

Romo is a good QB. He can make all the passes, has a good arm, can read defenses, and yes, sometimes his over agressive or arrogant or unintelligent side takes over and he melts quicker than an ice cube in the desert. However, based on the former, I also believe Romo is not a QB that needs to be replaced. He threw 31 TD's and 10 INT's and over 4000 yards in 2011. You think that should be replaced?

ETA: Looks like I was typing when PON posted. I might have to re-edit my thread since I agree with what he said. :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I get people like to blame Romo and it goes with the territory given the Cowboys are a big market national spot light team but the reality is Romo is not the problem. Yes he makes a few bone head plays like most all QB's but the reality is 22 QB's had more interceptions and lets face it, the Cowboys have not had a ton of talent the last several years. They are actually closer as thier defense and O-line are getting younger. They still have back 4 issues on defense but that should be addressed this year.

In spite of Romo's press, he is one of the highest rated QB's of all time (#2, surprising isn't it). He is a gunslinger much like Favre but doesn't have the body so injury is certainly a concern. Orton is no where near the class of Romo in talent but he is a solid QB with experience. He will serve well as a back up and given the division and talent of the front seven of all teams in the division he is a good insurance policy against injury.

Romo certainly has the ability to take the team all the way but the team itself must improve defensively big time to get in the playoffs. He had a great year in 2011 and played hurt much of the season. He does need to improve his consistency in the 4th quarter but overall he is clearly an upper tier QB in the league. The Cowboys now have lots of weapons offense and could be a serious dark horse team in 2012 if they can improve at DB and SS and stay healthy at the skill positions.

I hope Orton never gets to play but the world won't end like years past if Romo goes down.

On a side note, Why don't we have a spell checker?

Edited by Ice1

Romo is a good QB. He can make all the passes, has a good arm, can read defenses, and yes, sometimes his over agressive or arrogant or unintelligent side takes over and he melts quicker than an ice cube in the desert. However, based on the former, I also believe Romo is not a QB that needs to be replaced.

I agree...at this point, he's not at risk to being replaced. But I just wonder in how many more critical games he can self-destruct without the leash at least getting tighter?

There have been a couple QBs in Philly who were perennial Pro-Bowlers who just couldn't win the big game....and were replaced. Forgive me, as good as he is in meaningless games and his gaudy stats from those games....I just don't see Romo as untouchable. He's a Top-10 fantasy QB, but as we have learned here in Philly...turnovers and idiotic decisions at critical times and an inability to get the job done in crunch time spells doom.

If Miles Austin catches the ball agains the Giants the Eagles protect a 23-point lead agains the 49ers, Philly wins the division.

Lots of ifs and buts....fact is, the Cowboys lost 4 of their last 5 games (to the Cardinals, Eagles and Giants twice)...and they only scored more than 14 in one of them. Thats not the DBs and SSs....thats an offense turned it over and just couldn't get it done at the most important time of year, with the QB toting a career 8-14 record in DEC/JAN.

I'm not sure that I understand the negativity. Having an experienced backup QB that gives your team a decent chance to win a game if he is playing seems to be a good thing to me.

I don't think there is any negativity whatsoever....everyone seems to be i agreement that it was a solid signing by the Cowboys to have a decent QB in the wings, ready to play for whatever reason.