[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to Denver?!?!

ridinthewake

Per PFT, Denver, according to rumors, offered a five-year, $60 million deal with $30 million guaranteed.

From Rotoworld:

Updating an earlier item, the Denver Post's Mike Klis reports the parameters of free agent Peyton Manning's next contract will resemble those of the five-year, $90 million pact he signed with the Colts in 2011.

Klis had previously reported both the Broncos and Titans were working within a five-year, $60 million framework. Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco are all now believed to be "working off" the contract Manning recently had voided by the Colts.

That's just seriously stupid. I mean, mindboggling monumentally epic stupid.

I seriously hope the Niners aren't actually contemplating a deal like that.

Yeah - I wouldn't want to compete against other teams for a QB who could get me to the SB either.. Edited by Shorttynaz

Schefter, who broke the 49ers news on SportsCenter early Friday afternoon, reported that San Francisco secretly sent club officials to watch Manning throw at Duke University last Tuesday night. The 49ers’ representatives were said to be “very impressed with what they saw.”

LOL, a private session that the Broncos had to fly too when the 49er's got their own peep show in the comfort of thier own bedroom.

they did? sounds like they too had to fly east to see him actually throw some passes. :shrug:

I kind of think SF is/was only interested enough to throw a wrench in things for AZ...by flying out East for their own tryouts they made Peyton delay long enough to force AZ's hand into retaining Kolb and paying him his roster bonus....thus making AZ "weaker" to an extent by not landing Manning.

KO'd

Manning spoke with Broncos officials on Friday and was offered a contract in the neighborhood of five years, $90 million, the Denver Post reports. Analysis: Manning worked out for the Broncos on Friday in Durham, N.C. The Broncos intend to work off of Manning's previous contract with the Colts, which was five years for $90 million. The Broncos, along with the Titans and 49ers, are believed to be the top finalists for Manning's services. The Broncos have more than $15 million extra in salary cap room to sign Manning, but Manning has said that he first and foremost wants to play for a team he can lead to the Super Bowl.

If this is ACTUALLY true then he'll likely be signing with the 49ers if they come anywhere close to this offer, but we'll see whether he's FOS or not. And yeah, looks like a pretty crazy offer, though it doesn't specify what the guaranteed portion of the salary would be or how far reaching the incentives for all of that 90 million might be.

Edited by Crazysight

In the year they lost all those football games to have a chance to pick 1st overall.

I'm pretty sure that was the last time IND competed (if you will) with anyone for Manning's services.

Exactly what I was implying. Dude's set for life already - I don't think it's going to come down to money at all...

Sorry my sarcasm detector seems to be broken again. (Not that there was any hint of sarcasm in your post to help me.)

In the year they lost all those football games to have a chance to pick 1st overall.

I'm pretty sure that was the last time IND competed (if you will) with anyone for Manning's services.

If my memory serves me right, wasn't Ryan Leaf "supposed" to be the draft's top QB prospect?

Yeah - I wouldn't want to compete against other teams for a QB who could get me to the SB either..

Um, all along, the prevailing wisdom as to why it made sense for other teams, but not Indy, is because other teams weren't going to be on the hook for $20+ million to maybe have him play. Unlike Indy, which would need him to renegotiate a contract, other teams could offer him some incentive-laden deal that wouldn't screw them royally if dude's neck didn't get better enough for him to be the old Payton.

Only, according to what BB quoted, all the suitors are preparing to pony up exactly the kind of massive deal that Indy was going to be bound to. And, considering my team was an OT game away from going to the SB and lost that OT game to the eventual champs, maybe I don't want to lock up that kind of cap space for a guy who, at best, they're going to get to see throw the ball around wearing a t-shirt.

No-freaking-thanks. If someone gives him that kind of money and it doesn't work? They're royally screwed for a while.

Now, if we knew for sure that Payton was 100%, I'd be all over this. The Niners are exactly the kind of team who could drop him in and win it all, perhaps a few in a row. But that kind of money for damaged goods? No thanks.

Um, all along, the prevailing wisdom as to why it made sense for other teams, but not Indy, is because other teams weren't going to be on the hook for $20+ million to maybe have him play. Unlike Indy, which would need him to renegotiate a contract, other teams could offer him some incentive-laden deal that wouldn't screw them royally if dude's neck didn't get better enough for him to be the old Payton.

Only, according to what BB quoted, all the suitors are preparing to pony up exactly the kind of massive deal that Indy was going to be bound to. And, considering my team was an OT game away from going to the SB and lost that OT game to the eventual champs, maybe I don't want to lock up that kind of cap space for a guy who, at best, they're going to get to see throw the ball around wearing a t-shirt.

No-freaking-thanks. If someone gives him that kind of money and it doesn't work? They're royally screwed for a while.

Now, if we knew for sure that Payton was 100%, I'd be all over this. The Niners are exactly the kind of team who could drop him in and win it all, perhaps a few in a row. But that kind of money for damaged goods? No thanks.

I hear ya and was just :pokey: you a little - but everything that keeps coming out is that his neck is in better shape now than it ever has been. And apart from some so called DVDs and some poor cell phone video footage - none of "us" know what he looks like throwing the football after his surgeries.

But.. If he's been having doctors for the past few months give him a clean bill of health, and everyone who HAS seen him throw said he looks great, or the Manning of old... then why not? Before ANY of this ever started, San Fransisco was the best fit for him all along. I never thought he was gonna go to Miami, still am not convinced Denver is as much the "front-runner" as they think they are. I thought Tennessee made the most sense (location, opportunity now and later, familiarity with opponents), till now - if San Fransisco truly is serious, and Manning all along said he wants to play for a team that's close to getting to the Superbowl - the writing is on the wall. Who cares about money at this point.. I'm convinced Manning would play for whatever the minimum is and just work up his incentives. Denver and Tennessee on the other hand have started a bidding war, and the only one who couldn't be happier is Tom Condon..

Um, all along, the prevailing wisdom as to why it made sense for other teams, but not Indy, is because other teams weren't going to be on the hook for $20+ million to maybe have him play. Unlike Indy, which would need him to renegotiate a contract, other teams could offer him some incentive-laden deal that wouldn't screw them royally if dude's neck didn't get better enough for him to be the old Payton. Only, according to what BB quoted, all the suitors are preparing to pony up exactly the kind of massive deal that Indy was going to be bound to. And, considering my team was an OT game away from going to the SB and lost that OT game to the eventual champs, maybe I don't want to lock up that kind of cap space for a guy who, at best, they're going to get to see throw the ball around wearing a t-shirt. No-freaking-thanks. If someone gives him that kind of money and it doesn't work? They're royally screwed for a while. Now, if we knew for sure that Payton was 100%, I'd be all over this. The Niners are exactly the kind of team who could drop him in and win it all, perhaps a few in a row. But that kind of money for damaged goods? No thanks.

well while his new contract may resemble his old one in terms of total numbers if he plays it out, I am sure it will be structured differently to protect the team from some of that risk.

You have to love the Teflon Q.B.

Last year he uses his popularity to influence the Colts to sign him against common sense. The fans clearly would revolt if the Colts did due diligence, and after all, didn't they have a long standing trusting relationship? Surely there was no reason to give him a physical based upon his word, or was there?They signed him to a ridiculous contract and he had to know at the time he was never going to see the field last year. There is no way a professional athlete, intimately familiar with his own body and health, being advised by the best physicians in the world thinks he can play when he is nine months away from being able to throw any semblance of an NFL pass, and then not against an NFL rush. Manning used his good guy image to negotiate in bad faith a contract for millions.

Cut to his release. He loves the Colts and the fans and the organization and the owner so he says. In reality he just used the fan's adoration to leverage ownership, he just used them and abused them. Then as he journies on to an uncertain future we can be sure of two things he says, he loves football and not money, and he will negotiate quickly and in good faith so as to not cripple teams who choose to engage in the process.

Well first we see him playing teams off against each other and taking time in doing so such that they are hamstrung in making free agent moves and in accomodating their salary cap. He effected the Jets and Sanchez's contract. He had a profound effect in Arizona with the Kolb bonus. He left Cleveland, Miami, and Seattle uncertain in their Q.B. plans and undoubtably has effected Matt Flynn's marketability during this time. Depending on his final decision he will have also effected Tebow, Alex Smith, Locker and Hassleback as well as their teams who have had to put a hold on their free agent plans and this redounds even through the upcoming draft.

Now we see him playing teams off of each other to get the highest dollar amount he can. Weird since money was not going to be a factor according to him.

Mind me, there is nothing wrong with what Manning is doing. He is using leverage and outsmarting those around him. What is certain, however, is that his actions belie his words and yet he never gets called on it.

In the end Manning's antics have one final effect. He is not joining a team or a program. The team that gets him will have so prostrated themselves before the alter of his ego that he will be taking over the team, not joining it. Manning does not just want to play, he wants to coordinate the offense, make strategy decisions on special teams and defense game management decisions, and he wants substantial control over personnel matters.

All this fuss over a 36 year old Q.B. who has just missed an entire season, and for whom the next blow to his neck could be his last. Fascinating.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Who cares about money at this point.. I'm convinced Manning would play for whatever the minimum is and just work up his incentives.

Dude, you're starting to make me laugh.

Why would he do that?

Dude, you're starting to make me laugh.

Why would he do that?

You HONESTLY think Manning is going to go to the highest bidder? So if San Francisco was serious, and they offered him 5 years $45M, and Denver offered him 5 years $60M he's automatically going to choose Denver? IMO, no way.. He's already come out publicly and said he would be willing to sign an incentive-laden deal to make it work in the right situation.

And TGIF! Thank God I'm Funny!!!

Edited by Shorttynaz

You HONESTLY think Manning is going to go to the highest bidder? So if San Francisco was serious, and they offered him 5 years $45M, and Denver offered him 5 years $60M he's automatically going to choose Denver?

Of course he would.