[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to Denver?!?!

ridinthewake

I find it pretty hilarious that Manning managed to not only work out for Harbough, but take a physical as well. Amidst all the Manning helicopters, tweets and guys hiding in bushes, how the hell did the entire media world miss this? :lol:

I find it pretty hilarious that Manning managed to not only work out for Harbough, but take a physical as well. Amidst all the Manning helicopters, tweets and guys hiding in bushes, how the hell did the entire media world miss this? :lol:

He was probably throwing to Moss too.

The 49'rs are jumping into the mix now???

;)

I have a strage inkling he ends up in San Francisco, playing for a former QB who will live vicariously thru Manning. If this happens, and Manning is anywhere near his former self, Vernon Davis could be to TE's what Graham/Gronk were this year.

seems like for whatever reason, all the stoopid helicopter drama is reserved for the broncos. :wacko:

who knows what all this means, but I do think the fact that he's working out for the broncos before the titans just might indicate that he called them first and the broncos are his first choice of the two. it puts them in pole position I would say. if he worked out for the niners, I assume that was before the titans pitch? maybe either manning or the niners decided that wasn't a fit?

PFT picked up on the story:

49ers jump into the Peyton Manning sweepstakes

Posted by Evan Silva on March 16, 2012, 2:18 PM EDT

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the San Francisco 49ers have emerged as one of the three finalists to sign free agent quarterback Peyton Manning.

The other two teams are the Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans. According to Schefter, the Arizona Cardinals “have been advised that they are to proceed as if they will not get Peyton Manning.”

We already knew the Dolphins were out.

Schefter, who broke the 49ers news on SportsCenter early Friday afternoon, reported that San Francisco secretly sent club officials to watch Manning throw at Duke University last Tuesday night. The 49ers’ representatives were said to be “very impressed with what they saw.”

The Niners have already given Manning a physical.

And this explains why they haven’t re-signed free agent quarterback Alex Smith yet.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

If you really think about it, if he wants a championship tomorrow, the 49er's are probably in the best position for that right now.

The Manning idocy has hit an all-time high. NFL Network is running a live feed from a helicopter following the white van that is transporting the Broncos execs to pick up Manning from the airport. I thought I was watching re-runs of the OJ car chase. :rolleyes:

So its a good day to be at work then, right? Of course if I were home this afternoon I'd be watching NCAA tournament games, not NFL Network or ESPN (knowing they'd be covering some story like the Manning chase).

Reportedly Denver has offered manning 30 million guaranteed through 5 years...doesn't really sound as stout as the supposed "blank check" offer that Bud Adams stated he was offering. Of course there's no such thing in the NFL as a blank check, but I'm guessing the Titans probably did better than that.

but I do think the fact that he's working out for the broncos before the titans just might indicate that he called them first and the broncos are his first choice of the two.

First it was Miami as the frontrunners as he went to Miami after the Colts released him. Then he went to Denver for a half a day and they emerged as the frontrunners. Then he went to AZ and all reports were saying that's where he's gonna end up. Nothing for a few days - then Tennessee gets serious, meets with him for 2 days and now they're the team he's going to. Now working out with Denver - and they're again the frontrunner. What happens when he works out for Tennessee this weekend?

For the better part of the last 2.5 months I was convinced he was gonna end up here in AZ. I think we can all put that to rest as the Cardinals have 1 our and 5 minutes before they owe Kevin Kolb his $7M roster bonus - taking themselves out of the running. Denver is still in the running, but I think they're lack of downfield weapons and severe lack of not doing anything relevant yet in free agence (with all this $$ to spend) is REALLY hurting their chances. If Manning wants to win a SB, well then San Fransisco is a no brainer. They almost got there last season and that was with a horrible QB.

I now am certainly not jumping on the Tennessee bandwagon, nor as a die hard of a division rival do I want to see him go there - but why would he not sign there? They're talented - got a better than average defense, running game will soon be the best in the game if Manning does go there, and they've got some young studs at wideout. Combine that with playing in a division where he knows the other 3 teams inside and out, somewhere where his wife is from, where he went to school, someplace he's going to have a job the rest of his life - and a smaller town to raise his boys in - why hasn't he made his decision yet??

EVERYTHING here points to Tennessee..

Reportedly Denver has offered manning 30 million guaranteed through 5 years...doesn't really sound as stout as the supposed "blank check" offer that Bud Adams stated he was offering. Of course there's no such thing in the NFL as a blank check, but I'm guessing the Titans probably did better than that.

I think the "blank check" is more in reference to control would have over operations and design of the offense.

I think the "blank check" is more in reference to control would have over operations and design of the offense.

Yeah I guess in the bigger picture 30 million guaranteed is a rather sizable amount considering that we don't even know how long he is going to last at this point. He hasn't even fully rehabbed from his neck surgery for that matter. If he were to reinjure his neck in his first season back that would be a lot of money lost. Still if the way Adams has been talking is any indication I would guess that the Titans are willing to offer even more.

Certainly sounds like its just for the Broncos...the link you provide basically says its a private workout, but the Broncos were invited to attend.

Moreover, no other teams are in attendance :shrug:

Understood but now ESPN is reporting he threw passes for the 49ers earlier this week. I think that makes the "private" workout for the Broncos a bit less special.

Understood but now ESPN is reporting he threw passes for the 49ers earlier this week. I think that makes the "private" workout for the Broncos a bit less special.

LOL, a private session that the Broncos had to fly too when the 49er's got their own peep show in the comfort of thier own bedroom.

What, you've never been part of a bidding war?

He signs with whomever ponies up the most $$$. God bless america.

I don't think it all comes down to $$$ for Manning. Chance at winning a SB, having some talent around him, an OL that can protect him, coaches and other players he wants to play with, etc. Those will be more important than money.

What, you've never been part of a bidding war? He signs with whomever ponies up the most $$$. God bless america.

I think this is actually fairly accurate, at least in part. not sure why he'd work out privately for multiple teams if it wasn't the case, he'd just listen to their pitches, decide where he wanted to go, then maybe work out for that team and start working out a deal.

I don't think it all comes down to $$$ for Manning. Chance at winning a SB, having some talent around him, an OL that can protect him, coaches and other players he wants to play with, etc. Those will be more important than money.

Exactly what I was implying. Dude's set for life already - I don't think it's going to come down to money at all...

depends on where he is in the decision process. maybe the niners wanted to work him out and give him a physical before they talked to him, and he said sure fine, and then he did and then went to tennessee. as of now, I think he's pretty much talked to every team he's going to talk to. IF, coming out of all that, the broncos are the first team he called to take the next step, then that could be very relevant. if he's just going back around trying to drive up the offers, then the timing really isn't relevant at all.

Exactly what I was implying. Dude's set for life already - I don't think it's going to come down to money at all...

You base that upon what? What you'd like to believe?

Its always about the money. Sure, Manning is in a position where he can pick out a few teams that he'd like to play for. But if you think that he's going on this tour to shake some hands, inspect the team's facilities and to work out for them, you're being pretty naive.