[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2012 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft (Commentary ONLY)...

irish

It's actually the Texans' pick, they swapped 3rd's in the Demeco Ryans trade.

Christ, too much to keep up with!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since we're clearly done here, I'll post my pre-mock notes along with my post-pick analysis in red.

The best part about being a horrible team is you have lots of holes to fill, so lots of guys fit a draft plan. If there's not a glaring need like a hole the size of Texas at running back, there's probably a need to upgrade an average-at-best starter like OL or the OLB's. With multiple 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks I'm going to have a lot of chances to find diamonds at need positions so the focus early will be on weapons and Best Player Available. I really wish we had addressed our OL in FA. We have two average-at-best guards and a huge hole at RT. I'm now much more concerned about taking one early rather than throwing a couple of 5th rounders at the problem and seeing what sticks.

I am committed to McCoy and the theme of this year's draft is to give him weapons and improve the team around him so he's in position to succeed, not fail. Being down 24-3 to Baltimore in the 2nd quarter is a recipe for disaster we have to avoid and it wouldn't matter if McCoy or Luck was the QB. Going into this I planned to draft like this:

1.4 Planned - Trent Richardson Actual - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

It was always Richardson. Special player, big need position, home run. He makes the defense play honest, he's a 3 down back, he can score from anywhere on the field, and he can help kill clock when that's needed. In the overall scheme of this offense he does more for McCoy than any two other guys could.

1.22 Planned - Kendall Wright or Alshon Jeffrey. Actual - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

I feel like I might be pulled off WR if a nice OT drops to me like Martin but I don't expect him to. If this were a real draft I take Jeffrey here and don't look back. Since it's a mock I might let him slide because he's getting bashed a lot and try to snag him in the 2nd. Shocked to see Reiff there and that won't happen on draft day. Now I pray Jeffrey slides!

2.37 Planned - Coby Fleener. Actual - Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska

Another weapon for McCoy, and like Richardson the synergy here produces far more for the offense than just getting a TE. Matchup nightmare that makes opposing defenses choose. Scrap all the other guys - they each have nice qualities but aren't special. Fleener could be. Might not be able to resist whoever slides out of the first round. Mike Adams, Harrison Smith, Alshon Jeffrey (would LOVE a Wright/Jeffrey combo), all are being mocked in the late 1/early 2 and will give me pause at 37 over Fleener. If none of the skill guys slide that's going to mean an OL or pass rusher did and that's just fine for a fallback plan. Jeffrey is gone but a nice value with Lavonte David. Big Nickel three down player, guy is a play-maker and gives us a safety net in case Fujita gets sucked into bad mojo from the NO problem or simply starts showing age.

3.67 Planned - Zach Brown Actual - Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson

BPA at this point of the draft tends to get very interesting - there have been some serious draft picks made early 3rd in the last couple of years. A nice blend of need and value would see an OLB available, especially one that can contribute to the pass rush. Ronnell Lewis, Zach Brown, or Nigel Bradham would be great names to see.

I want to walk out of here with 2 passing targets (WR or TE) so if something unexpected happens at 1.22 or 2.37 I may shift focus to WR here. Reuben Randle dropping would be too much to hope for but I'd probably be willing to reach a tad on Marvin McNutt or Brian Quick here. Otherwise the pick probably needs to be an OT after losing Pashos. It's late enough I can draft for need without sacrificing much opportunity cost, and FA didn't bring any answers so this is a huge concern. Zebrie Sanders is the only guy I've really seen, and he looks the part to me. I'd need to trust expert rankings on other guys since I do have a day job. Wish they had landed Winston and this could be more of a luxury pick. OT solved earlier, was very tempted by Brian Quick and Marvin McNutt with this pick, but Brandon Thompson was another guy with too much talent not to take. This guy reminds me of Lamarr Houston (OAK) and can rotate inside at DT to keep starters fresh and also out to DE. Another play maker on defense.

I know we're not mocking these rounds, but having two picks plays into my plans above because you can still get expected contributors in the 4th. If a tier 2 QB falls to my .100 pick that's where I go - love the value of Cousins here and drafting him in the 4th should keep the fans quiet and not have McCoy looking over his shoulder. Otherwise there are a bunch of WR's in this tier and I'll get my 2nd one here to provide depth to Wright and Little. Joe Adams, Brian Quick, maybe even A.J. Jenkins could last. If not the projected available guys are Nick Toon, Mohammad Sanu, T.J Graham, Keshawn Martin, nothing wrong with settling for any of those guys.

If value QB's are gone I probably fill OL or take my super-sleeper OLB with the 2nd pick.

2 picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th is gold-digging time.

1.4 Trent Richardson

1.22 Alshon Jeffrey

2.37 Coby Fleener

3.67 Zach Brown

4.100 Kirk Cousins

4.118 Marvin McNutt

or

4.100 Marvin McNutt

4.118 Kelechi Osemele

That's a sexy mock aside from the gaping hole at RT, but that's a failure of early FA, not the draft process. Trying not to draft for need prefer to capitalize on available talent and count on FA signings or coaching it up to get the line in shape.

The weapons plan didn't go as expected but it's not a disaster. I got a TON of work done on the baseline talent of this team, I have a shot at a value QB and will take some shots with deep WR and see what happens. Marvin McNutt, Joe Adams, Marv Jones, Nick Toon, Greg Childs, Devier Posey, B.J. Cunningham, Tommy Streeter, Ryan Broyles, there are a ton of guys with talent and/or the speed to stretch the field and potential to get better still on the board. I'll have to spend more time developing them than was the plan but it's worth it given what I got earlier. Guys available in the 4th and beyond the last couple of years include Mike WIlliams TB, Jacoby Ford, Denarius Moore, Antonio Brown, Victor Cruz, Donald Jones, David Nelson, Doug Baldwin - I'll find someone.

1.4 Trent Richardson

1.22 Reily Reiff

2.37 Lavonte David

3.56 Brandon Thompson

4.100 Kirk Cousins

4.118 Nick Toon

Edited by flemingd