[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meachem a WR1 in SD?

Bronco Billy

Chargers coach Norv Turner believes newly acquired Robert Meachem can be a true No. 1 wide receiver.

At $6.5 million a year, the Chargers are paying him like one. "He’s a No. 1 receiver," Turner said. "He’s a guy that has big-play ability. He can be a complete receiver." Meachem essentially ran one route -- the "go" -- in New Orleans' offense, and only played about 60 percent of the snaps. He'll be a 100 percent player in San Diego. Particularly as Antonio Gates shows signs of decline, we like Meachem's chances of emerging as a fantasy WR2.

Source: chargers.com

Mar 18 - 10:36 PM

Curious on Huddlers' thoughts on this.

I have nothing to back this up but my gut just says that Meachem is more of a complimentary player and will not be a WR1 in Chargerville. He just seemed more like a hit or miss/boom or bust weekly player. You know, one of those guys that would go off one week and be on a milk carton for the next 4. Certainly could be wrong though. Have we ever seen him try to take on such a role while the Saints suffered through injuries at the WR position? I can't remember.

Edited by irish

Hard to go by stats here especially as Meachem only has 3 years worth looking at with nothing over 45 receptions, nothing over 725 receiving yards, did have 5, 6 and 9 TD seasons. However, there were so many weapons and things were so spread out in New Orleans, how could he really flourish. He did play all 16 games in those 3 seasons but only started 7-8 games per season. He had trouble beating out Lance Moore and Devery Henderson as well. He'll have more of an opportunity for sure but can he be the guy? I have more doubts than not.

Edited by irish

If Meachem was a true #1, he would have emerged by now, imo. His best season was 45-722-9 and that was 3 seasons ago. He's played 5 seasons and hasn't come close to putting up stud stats yet. For him to suddenly catapult into #1 WR territory, he'd be a major exception to the pattern we've seen in the last 10+ seasons.

If Meachem was a true #1, he would have emerged by now, imo.

Disagree. Unless you're a glorified slot guy like Colston, or a freak like Jimmy Graham, you're not going to break out in the Saints offense. Meach was never asked to do everything he can. They asked him to fill a role, Meach is multi-deminsional, and it's going to come out in San Diego.

Disagree. Unless you're a glorified slot guy like Colston, or a freak like Jimmy Graham, you're not going to break out in the Saints offense. Meach was never asked to do everything he can. They asked him to fill a role, Meach is multi-deminsional, and it's going to come out in San Diego.

This. I'm apprehensive yet I would not be shocked to see him amass 70/1,000/8. Rivers will feed him the ball, alot.

Edited by tazinib1

In my opinion, I see Meachem as being very similar to Lee Evans - he'll put up some numbers if you force the ball to him and he doen't have a whole lot of variety/depth to his game, and would be much better served as a compliment. I see Meachem struggling to create space up against other teams' CB1.

Edited by Bronco Billy
  • Like 1

If Meachem was that good, he would flourished in New Orleans. The cream always rises to the top. Brees favored Lance Moore over Meachem. Colston has had at least 4 knee surgeries and still thrived over Meachem. I just don't see it.

In my opinion, I see Meachem as being very similar to Lee Evans - he'll put up some numbers if you force the ball to him and he doen't have a whole lot of variety/depth to his game, and would be much better served as a compliment. I see Meachem struggling to create space up against other teams' CB1.

+1

If he was so "multi-dimensional" then why didnt NO use that better rather than having him be a one trick pony? Isnt that kind of a "tell"? I think Lee Evans is a great comparison.

"Here comes Meachum, betcha he just runs deep?"

If Meachem was that good, he would flourished in New Orleans. The cream always rises to the top. Brees favored Lance Moore over Meachem. Colston has had at least 4 knee surgeries and still thrived over Meachem. I just don't see it.

I think Meachem has a very good chance to shine in San Diego. I remember when Brandon Lloyd was turning heads in Bears' training camp and surprisingly was cut from the squad. I was shocked as he was high on my sleeper list. The next season when he was picked up by the Broncos, I didn't even bother with a waiver wire claim on him even when he started making noise cause I was thinking about how he didn't pan out earlier. That was the season he led all wide receivers in yardage. Lloyd didn't make a splash until his late 20's. Meachem will turn 28 this September and with Rivers throwing to him, Meachem seems like a good candidate to possibly fulfill his potential.

I'm in line with this also. A QB as good as Brees would have utilized Meachem a whole lot more if Meachem had the goods.

I think Meachem has a very good chance to shine in San Diego. I remember when Brandon Lloyd was turning heads in Bears' training camp and surprisingly was cut from the squad. I was shocked as he was high on my sleeper list. The next season when he was picked up by the Broncos, I didn't even bother with a waiver wire claim on him even when he started making noise cause I was thinking about how he didn't pan out earlier. That was the season he led all wide receivers in yardage. Lloyd didn't make a splash until his late 20's. Meachem will turn 28 this September and with Rivers throwing to him, Meachem seems like a good candidate to possibly fulfill his potential.

Lets examine the offensive systems in your Lloyd vs Meachum comp. Lloyd was on a poor passing team in the Bears, and did very well in McDaniels pass-happy offense. Upgrade in offensive system.

Now meachum is going from arguably the BEST passing team, where he was very average for years and never showed signs of breaking out and dominating (meaning he just gets open and beats coverage, as Brees finds the open guy) and goes to a very good passing team, but one that is definetely a step down from teh Saints. Why would he suddenly become a feared #1 WR when he has never been able to do so in the past?

There were times that Colston and Lance Moore were injured, and Meachum could have stepped up and really been a #1 WR. He never did. I think that lightbulb would have gone on before now, :shrug:

Lets examine the offensive systems in your Lloyd vs Meachum comp. Lloyd was on a poor passing team in the Bears, and did very well in McDaniels pass-happy offense. Upgrade in offensive system.

Now meachum is going from arguably the BEST passing team, where he was very average for years and never showed signs of breaking out and dominating (meaning he just gets open and beats coverage, as Brees finds the open guy) and goes to a very good passing team, but one that is definetely a step down from teh Saints. Why would he suddenly become a feared #1 WR when he has never been able to do so in the past?

There were times that Colston and Lance Moore were injured, and Meachum could have stepped up and really been a #1 WR. He never did. I think that lightbulb would have gone on before now, :shrug:

Yes, Lloyd stepped into a very friendly passing team, but also continued his success with the Rams. Yes, Meachem was in a very friendly passing system, but like PON already stated, Brees spreads the ball around a lot. Rivers also spreads the ball around, so it's either going to be Meachem or Malcom Floyd that emerges as the WR1. Honestly, after further review I'm thinking that Meachem may be the WR2. I'm starting to like the 6'5" Malcom Floyd a lot more right now as the new WR1 considering he already has experience and a good rapport with Rivers. Right now, I see the season starting in the following order:

WR1 Malcom Floyd

WR2 Robert Meachem

WR3 Vincent Brown

WR4 Eddie Royal

Both Meachem and Floyd are often injured so I could see them flip-flopping as the WR1 throughout.

Edited by electricrelish

I actually see Brown emerging as the WR1 with SD, with Meechem #2, and Floyd (when not injured) #3. The TE will play less of a roll as Gates continues to age.

I'm more in the camp of "he never showed anything special before" than those who think he's suddenly going to flourish because there is less talent around him (than there was in NO).

I'm in line with this also. A QB as good as Brees would have utilized Meachem a whole lot more if Meachem had the goods.

Yep. My guess is that Meachem is probably inconsistent, runs sloppy routes and takes plays off. If I'm wrong, Brees would have been all over him. I'm sure he has the athletic ability or else he wouldn't be in the NFL but it's the fundamentals that separate the Elite players. Time will tell but I won't be drafting Meachem unless I get him super cheap.

I'm absolutely on the fence in terms of how I think he'll do. I get the bit about simply getting lost in the shuffle among so many targets in NO as well as those reminding that he'd have done more if he was all al that. One thing I do know, it will take more than one story about a guy all-of-a-sudden turning it on in his late 20s for me to assume that Meachem will as well. Not saying he won't, but "look at what Lloyd did" seems like a very random argument.

or a freak like Jimmy Graham,

Aren't you just agreeing with him on this? Graham is special, and immediately busted out. Ergo if Meachem were special he would have done the same thing a couple years earlier? I was extremely high on him when he came out of LSU and thought he'd be their primary guy, but if the guy can't even get past Colston, who's pretty ordinary, I don't think we're going to see it at this point.

I think he could put up Nate Washington #'s(roughly 75-1100-8)... another guy that "broke out" later in his career.

I dunno if you guys would classify that performance as #1 WR quality?

I think as teams adjust to these softer rules that coddle the passing game, and as the #'s continue to increase exponentially, it's inevitable that some receivers that haven't really flashed big before are going to be putting up some really nice statistics...

Edited by byron2112

Aren't you just agreeing with him on this? Graham is special, and immediately busted out. Ergo if Meachem were special he would have done the same thing a couple years earlier? I was extremely high on him when he came out of LSU and thought he'd be their primary guy, but if the guy can't even get past Colston, who's pretty ordinary, I don't think we're going to see it at this point.

Couldn't have been that high on him. He didn't play for LSU. That was Devery.

Couldn't have been that high on him. He didn't play for LSU. That was Devery.

It was five years ago and I'm not a homer, sorry. Meachem did indeed play for Tennessee. It was still Meachem I was higher on. I have never thought much of Henderson.