[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning a Bronco

alexgaddis

some people feel that Manning may still not get them over the hump and these next few years would have been better served developing Tebow or another younger qb. I can see that point as well. I was just speaking from my perspective. The NFL is strange . Teams get hot and ride lightning to the sb as we saw with the Giants. I think Denver can win right away with Manning if he is healthy.

I think you're spot on with that opinion, and agree...... I believe Manning puts them in the position to win now, and for Manning, he only has a few years left for his shot at a title. I think the effort it would have required to develop Tebow would have been one of futility....... And Denver would have been looking again in a few years.....

Ok I'll take your word for it. But playing in DEN weather is certainly going to be colder and have more snowfall than SF, TEN (Nashville), MIA, AZ (Phoenix), the other serious contendors at one time. And certainly far colder and snowier than the dome in IND that he's played his career in.

More snowfall than SF obviously, but the Bay Area can be bone chilling cold, even with the higher temps than the Rockies.

I'm curious to know the overall fan reaction in Denver..?? On the surface it looks great! Getting one of the best ever QB's to play the game to come and finish his career there in Denver.. But you're signing a 36 year old QB coming off 4 neck surgeries in less than a 2 year span..

The only reason I ask is I have two pretty close friends who are both Bronco's die hards. BOTH of them are against this move - saying that this essentially is only a 1 or a 2 year fix and ultimately may really send the franchise into a nosedive in a few years. Right now the money part of it works though. I would have liked this signing much better had the Bronco's been active LAST week and got one of the top available WR's - a la Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, ect.

Not taking anything away from Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker, but if I were a Bronco's fan, I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable with Manning throwing to a group of WR's who consists of a proven veteran.

More snowfall than SF obviously, but the Bay Area can be bone chilling cold, even with the higher temps than the Rockies.

I'll agree that I (like many) have an image of Denver being cold and snowy that isn't warranted. And looking at average temperatures I see that neither SF nor KC is significantly warmer (or are slightly cooler) during football season.

Denver will have a good shot at winning the division. Their defense has young talent and rush the passer well. They can run the ball.

What are the missing pieces that can be added in the remaining free agency period? Another DB? RB? What do you see them looking to add, now?

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Don't think this move makes Denver better than New England, Baltimore, OR Houston.. I can already see it happening. Denver is gonna end up going to the AFC Championship against none other than the Patriots - and once again Brady is gonna send Manning and his ponies back to the drawing board..

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Elway was NOT sold on Tebow at all, but with the fans rabid for him he couldn't just get rid of him. The only way for Elway to move away from Tebow is to land a future HOF QB that becomes available in FA, and it's not like that happens every day.

Dunno how Tebow feels about the whole thing (I can guess), but Elway has to be the happiest guy in the world right now. Even if Manning's neck explodes three weeks in the season, I get the feeling that if it meant Elway can get rid of Tebow, he doesn't care.

+1,000,000

I'm curious to know the overall fan reaction in Denver..?? On the surface it looks great! Getting one of the best ever QB's to play the game to come and finish his career there in Denver.. But you're signing a 36 year old QB coming off 4 neck surgeries in less than a 2 year span..

The only reason I ask is I have two pretty close friends who are both Bronco's die hards. BOTH of them are against this move - saying that this essentially is only a 1 or a 2 year fix and ultimately may really send the franchise into a nosedive in a few years. Right now the money part of it works though. I would have liked this signing much better had the Bronco's been active LAST week and got one of the top available WR's - a la Reggie Wayne, Vincent Jackson, ect.

Not taking anything away from Demaryius Thomas or Eric Decker, but if I were a Bronco's fan, I'd certainly feel a lot more comfortable with Manning throwing to a group of WR's who consists of a proven veteran.

Wouldn't the argument be that these WRs may be perfectly fine and will do better with a good QB throwing to them?

It seems that the Big Boys in Vegas (who are pretty good at what they do) like what tthe Broncos did... With Tebow 75-1 to win hte Superbowl- With Manning I've seen 8-1 to 10-1. Add a few pieces and as a season ticket holder, I am now really looking forward to the season!

It seems that the Big Boys in Vegas (who are pretty good at what they do) like what tthe Broncos did... With Tebow 75-1 to win hte Superbowl- With Manning I've seen 8-1 to 10-1. Add a few pieces and as a season ticket holder, I am now really looking forward to the season!

And what they do, at least in this case, is predict how fired up Joe Public is going to be about a given team. That Vegas just lowered the odds on Denver has less to do with how likely they think they are to win it all and more to do with how much money they expect to jump on Denver now that they landed Manning. They only way they take a bath if a long-odds team wins it all is if there was a ton of money on them.

Odd, the only indication at all that they weren't "enamored with Smith" was that they were entertainig bringing in Manning. And, at that, they were sort of a last minute entry into the field. Which makes me think that they just realized that they'd be stupid to not at least kick the tires on it. Like I've been saying, assuming he's as costly as it sounds, I'm glad they didn't, but I think they had to at least entertain the notion.

However, other than that, the word was that they were committed to Smith and I still think he's the best option currently out there. Assuming K is not ready, they were too close to the SB to jerk things around for just anyone.

Smith doesn't seem to share your opinion:

Contrary to previous reports, SI.com's Peter King is told free agent Alex Smith is "very serious" about the Dolphins if they're serious about him.

That said, I agree with you and would be surprised if SF did look at rolling the dice with someone like Johnson when they had come so close to the SB with Smith at QB.

Smith doesn't seem to share your opinion:

That said, I agree with you and would be surprised if SF did look at rolling the dice with someone like Johnson when they had come so close to the SB with Smith at QB.

Smith could also be playing his hand the best he can. SF could have locked him for a hometown discount before this Manning thing happened but didn't. Now they're sort of in a bind if they lose Smith. Smith has got to know this and has every reason to work this as best he can. It gets him more money out of SF (or Miami, which I did mention would be one of the reasons he'd bolt), why wouldn't he work it the best he can. And, saying he's "serious about Miami if they're serious about him" is precisely how to do that.

The only thing that would truly surprise me is if Smith signs the same 3 year/$24 million deal with Miami that SF had apparently discussed with him. I would think that Miami would have to at least out-bid SF for his services in order to get him to move.

Have you seen BB's comments...... Don't get it, but he's not happy about Manning to Mile High..... :doh:

I've said this before. I think the cost is way too high for a 36 yr old QB who just missed a season after 3 neck operations, one of which resulted in fused vertebrae, and had timely nerve regeneration involved. The alleged $93M over 5 years means DEN is not going to have cap space to be able to adequately fill some significant holes with high quality players for a while, and by that time Manning's career will be over. Unlike some others, not only do I think that DEN has not bought itself a SB, but that with the current pieces of the O-line in place, they very well may not be able to maintain whatever health he has. If that's the case, this move will be as detrimental to the franchise as McDaniels was.

And if this move doesn't result in a SB, all it has done is set back a rebuilding process that Elway et al looked like they had going in the right direction, maybe by another 5 years. There's way, way too much risk involved for my taste. But then, I don't own one iota of the Broncos, either.

ETA - just saw det's post below and realized I transposed the numbers. Fixed it. Thanks.

Also caught this from shorttynaz and agree with it, obviously

The only reason I ask is I have two pretty close friends who are both Bronco's die hards. BOTH of them are against this move - saying that this essentially is only a 1 or a 2 year fix and ultimately may really send the franchise into a nosedive in a few years.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The big boys in Vegas love nothing better than dangling bait in front of suckers and then reeling them in.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I've said this before. I think the cost is way too high for a 36 yr old QB who just missed a season after 3 neck operations, one of which resulted in fused vertebrae, and had timely nerve regeneration involved. The alleged $39M over 5 years means DEN is not going to have cap space to be able to adequately fill some significant holes with high quality players for a while, and by that time Manning's career will be over. Unlike some others, not only do I think that DEN has not bought itself a SB, but that with the current pieces of the O-line in place that Manning's very well may not be able to maintain whatever health he has. If that's the case, this move will be as detrimental to the franchise as McDaniels was.

And if this move doesn't result in a SB, all it has done is set back a rebuilding process that Elway et al looked like they had going in the right direction, maybe by another 5 years. There's way, way too much risk involved for my taste. But then, I don't own one iota of the Broncos, either.

Not to get you in a much worse mood, but that is a fraction of the figure that I saw roll across the ticker on ESPN while I was at the gym this afternoon. Same amount of years but reverse the 3 and 9. Mind you, that was apparently what the Broncos had mentioned in earlier discussions and I was not listening to the story or anything like that. Just saw it and did a double take.

Not to get you in a much worse mood, but that is a fraction of the figure that I saw roll across the ticker on ESPN while I was at the gym this afternoon. Same amount of years but reverse the 3 and 9. Mind you, that was apparently what the Broncos had mentioned in earlier discussions and I was not listening to the story or anything like that. Just saw it and did a double take.

Thanks and fixed my earlier post. I had fat fingered the numbers, but knew what they were. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess.

The only reason I ask is I have two pretty close friends who are both Bronco's die hards. BOTH of them are against this move - saying that this essentially is only a 1 or a 2 year fix and ultimately may really send the franchise into a nosedive in a few years.

As opposed to the staggering success they've had lately or implying they'd otherwise be more likely to contend for a ring anytime soon? OK......

Yeah this has mortgaged-the-future potential in it. It also makes them top SB contenders for the first time in awhile now, and there are no guarantees but indications are his neck will hold up. If so, he has at least 2-3 good years left, possibly more. He's about a billion times better than any QB they have had since Elway. OK not a billion. Maybe just a million. And spare me Cutler. He had exactly (count it) one big year.

Edited by BeeR

No matter how long he plays, I think the Broncos are getting a guy that makes makes the whole team better, by merit of the way he looks at the game, his work ethic, his professionalism and the ability to maintain drives, thus getting the entire offense a whole lot more in-game snaps. Not only this, but any bit that he can share with the Broncos WRs, TEs and especially their Oline, will be huge and carry on long after he is no longer with the team.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Tebow to Jacksonville for a 3rd?

With Denver so obviously trying to rid themselves of the shackle to Tebow Craziness I don't see them finding a suitor. They will be forced to cut him or keep him around and suffer the constant distraction of his presence. What team will pay a third for a guy they can pick up in Freee Agency. Maybe they get a seventh for him.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

They will be forced to cut him or keep him around and suffer the constant distraction of his presence.

I keep hearing this and wondering what the hell people are thinking. tebow sitting behind a miserable kyle orton creates a distraction. tebow sitting behind peyton manning, no distraction. is it really so hard to see the difference?

I keep hearing this and wondering what the hell people are thinking. tebow sitting behind a miserable kyle orton creates a distraction. tebow sitting behind peyton manning, no distraction. is it really so hard to see the difference?

If the fans clamoring for Tebow were football fans it would not matter. They are not. they are filled with a religious fervor. They will want him no matter the consequences or the relative abiities of those involved. It will get beyond tiresome.

• Like 1