[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton suspended for a year

BillyBalata

I don't disagree with what you're saying about Payton, but can we agree not to compare this with child molestation cover-up?

Unreal...from my post... I was making an analogy as to how each of these guys made weak apologies or statements. Damn you guys are dense. You know damn well I was not comparing the two scandals. I was just making a comparison on how people make weak ass statements after they get busted. Way to try and deflect what Payton said. Nice try though. It is a good strategy to try and change the subject. I see that some of the board simpletons fell for the trap. Good lord I thought some of you guys were at least somewhat smart. I will be sure to spell out everything so that nothing can be misunderstood next time.

on 26 March 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

You are not missing anything. It is similar to other other big scandals in the last two decades. The supporters often say in the early stages that there are two sides to the story. Usually they quitely go away with those kinds of comments. It is truly a joke what Payton said. If he meant what he said, he would have said it AS SOON AS HE FOUND OUT THIS WAS HAPPENING. OR MAYBE AFTER THE REPEATED WARNINGS TO STOP. NOT AFTER HE GOT NAILED FOR A YEAR. Although the scandals pale in comparison, this is similar to Paterno coming out against child molesters in November. He could have done that 10 years previous but only chose to speak AFTER HE GOT NAILED. If Payton is not suspended then he never makes those comments. That is a fact and not bait.

http://www.wwl.com/p...tentId=10273809

Posted: Tuesday, 27 March 2012 7:38AM

Sean Payton comments at owners' meeting

Jay Vise Reporting

Did you ask Bill Parcells to fill in as head coach?

I think we're a little ahead of ourselves...I kind of speak with him pretty regularly, and I'll have a chance to speak with him when I'm down here. But that would involve Mickey and myself and Mr. Benson. And my conversations with Bill to date have just been about the uniqueness of this situation.

Are you going to appeal the suspension?

We haven't decided yet. There's kind of a checklist, a lot to do here in a short period of time, as you can imagine, with the Draft coming up...So, I'm trying to get through all of that very quickly, and I think by the end of this month we'll make the decision on that.

What was your reaction upon hearing about the 1-year suspension?

I think you go through a range of emotions that kind of hit you...You're disappointed, you're disappointed in yourself that it got to this point. And then I think we're trained as coaches to begin preparation right away, and then I find myself reflecting on it. You go through a lot of emotions.

Were you surprised at the severity of the penalty and suspension?

I think the Commissioner's done a great job communicating with us throughout this process. Being in a leadership role myself, certainly I understand the position he's in. I think he's made it clear, and for good reason. We have such a good product right now that something with this magnitude is an important issue to address.

Can you comment about the possibility of someone already on your staff taking over while you’re out?

We've gone through just an early...synopsis of what our options would be. We'll continue to do that when we get back to Metairie, and even this morning, we're going have some breakfast and discuss that matter. Fortunately, we've got a number of good candidates...the trick is what it does to effect their roles that they currently have.

How important is it to get Drew Brees in place with a contract while you’re out?

I think that's significant, and I think Mickey, Tom, and the parties involved in that process have had ongoing dialogued and will continue to do so.

How did it get to this point?

I made the statement earlier, as the head coach, anything that happens within the framework of your team and your program, you are responsible for, and that is a lesson I've learned. It's easy to get carried away in regards to a certain side of the ball, and get more involved offensively or defensively, and that's something I regret.

Were you unaware of the pay-for-performance program?

The first awareness was after the 09-10 season, and that's when the league came in initially and visited with a few people.

You met with the Commissioner twice. Were you up-front with him?

I saw part of what he said, and specifically I don't know that he made mention of that directly to me. We take his office very seriously and the role he has, and in the two trips to New York, I made sure to do everything in my power to answer the questions honestly.

Is there a benefit to an appeal even if the penalty is not reduced?

Good question...I don't know the answer. Certainly I'm appreciative of the opportunity to appeal, but I don't know if there would be a benefit.

If you don't appeal, you’ll have to plan a whole year in a couple of days.

I think it's unique in that it's unprecedented, and so...I'm kind of one of those "list" guys, and so I've got a lot of to-do lists things right now, specific to football and football operations. It starts with the leadership...it gets into the draft, it gets into our players...the offseason calendar, all of that has been laid out already. Basically, everything has been laid out up until the Hall of Fame Game. Between now and then, though, there's a lot of little things that I'll try to make sure that we get covered and handed over to our coaches, so that they have a pretty good understanding of what I'm looking for.

Have you decided how you’ll spend your time during the suspension?

You know, the specifics of the suspension is one in which we're trying to gather the information as well...But hopefully, staying involved as best I can, and then we'll be able to make that decision sooner than later. But...for me right now, the checklist of things to do is what occupies my mind the most.

Maybe more to come...

Can you comment on coming to the Owners' Meeting for one day?

I think from a planning standpoint, it was going to be hard for me to be down here for four days, so coming in for one day, today, it made sense... Today's meetings are the head coach, GM, and owner meetings. I thought that was the important meeting I needed to be at. We'll leave here this afternoon, and continue the steps, continue on with the checklist I've talked about.

Did you feel an obligation to be at the Owners' Meeting?

Yes, typically, you look forward to the meeting...this and the Combine are two of the events league-wide that we have where you see your peer group...For us as coaches, this is the one time you see the ownership of the other 31 teams. So to stay away, I didn't see it as an option.

During the past, Drew took a leadership role during the lockout. How important is it to have him as a leader right now?

I think the hardest thing is the idea that this would possibly put a taint or tarnish the success we've had, and I think our players feel the same way. We've won 41 games in the last three years, and that's hard to do. That's done through hard work, it's done through discipline, it's done through execution. It's done through having good football players that are very coachable. So when we found ourselves in a two-game losing streak, or relocated by a hurricane, or we found ourselves kind of going through some tough times, we've always responded well. So this is uniquely different, but I do think our coaches and our players will take that same response...and that starts with our captains, guys who have been in the program for the whole six years that we've been together.

What would make you pursue someone outside the organization, someone like Parcells?

I normally would (see Parcells) when I'm in this area, and we stay in touch every week or so on the phone. I think it would be considering all options to be fair, and trying to do our homework on each option before making a decision...But Mickey, I, and Mr. Benson, there's a lot of small steps before we make a decision right away.

Do feel you've been punished for something that's fairly commonplace in the league?

No, I accept this. And I've heard that argument, and I think trying to look closely at how we and how I can improve has been probably a better way for me to handle this than to...Vent or look outwardly at other programs.

How difficult have the last five days been?

They've been difficult, challenging...You know, it's interesting how close some of your friends are, and I said this in the statement...Our fans back in New Orleans have been amazing. My peers, guys I'm very close with in this league, the players on our team, really, it's like a family. So, that's the thing that gets you through something like this.

Sean, is there any doubt that you will return next year, are you 100% certain on that?

I'm 100% certain.

Edited by rajncajn

Rajn, thanks for all that detailed info. This one piece I found interesting

"But that would involve Mickey and myself and Mr. Benson. And my conversations with Bill to date have just been about the uniqueness of this situation."

Because when I first heard repots that "Sean Payton has asked Parcells to take over for this season while he is suspended" I thought, "Well is that realy his decision, or his alone to make? Doesn't the GM and/or owner have some say in that?"

Just more shoddy reporting (headline grabbing, attention whoring) by the general sports media which has sunk to a very poor level.

Rajn, thanks for all that detailed info. This one piece I found interesting

"But that would involve Mickey and myself and Mr. Benson. And my conversations with Bill to date have just been about the uniqueness of this situation."

Because when I first heard repots that "Sean Payton has asked Parcells to take over for this season while he is suspended" I thought, "Well is that really his decision, or his alone to make? Doesn't the GM and/or owner have some say in that?"

Just more shoddy reporting (headline grabbing, attention whoring) by the general sports media which has sunk to a very poor level.

Yeah, you should read Pat Yasinska's take on his NFC South sports blog. It just seems like he couldn't wait to discredit Payton, painting him as an "arrogant" person in general using the running up the score to pad their stats nonsense and the joke Payton put in his book about not wanting to attend the press conference the morning after the Superbowl win. I know a lot of reporters don't like him because he doesn't pander to the media and I'm betting that some of them see this as payback.

FWIW, there are rumors swirling around the Saints board that after the league addressed the pay-for-perfomance system with the Saints after the Superbowl (when Payton says he first heard about it) that Payton instructed Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt to have it stopped. If you've read some of the other reports, Payton never attended defensive meetings leaving that totally up to Williams to handle, but he had asked Vitt to oversee them (rumors again that he didn't totally trust Williams). That would coincide with his comment above about focusing too much on one side of the ball and letting the other get out of hand. It's still no excuse, but it does give a bit of a glimpse of how this may have all went down.

Edited by rajncajn

FWIW, there are rumors swirling around the Saints board that after the league addressed the pay-for-perfomance system with the Saints after the Superbowl (when Payton says he first heard about it) that Payton instructed Assistant Head Coach Joe Vitt to have it stopped. If you've read some of the other reports, Payton never attended defensive meetings leaving that totally up to Williams to handle, but he had asked Vitt to oversee them (rumors again that he didn't totally trust Williams). That would coincide with his comment above about focusing too much on one side of the ball and letting the other get out of hand. It's still no excuse, but it does give a bit of a glimpse of how this may have all went down.

that tidy little story falls apart with the email he received that says "put me down for $5k on rodgers". if he had told his guys to stop and was serious about it, he would have ripped someone a new one when he saw that. instead, what did he do? nothing? pass the bounty on to GW?

and in 2010 when the GM comes to him and says the league is investigating, he pulls vitt and GW aside and does what? does he ask them if it's true? does he tell them to stop? no, he tells them to "make sure their ducks are in a row" before they meet with the investigators. of course, both of them proceeded to go in and lie to the investigators.

payton probably was not a major catalyst or driving force behind the bounties, but it is patently obvious to anyone without the blinders on that he knew exactly what was going on all along. any ignorance on his part was willful and/or feigned.

that tidy little story falls apart with the email he received that says "put me down for $5k on rodgers". if he had told his guys to stop and was serious about it, he would have ripped someone a new one when he saw that. instead, what did he do? nothing? pass the bounty on to GW?

and in 2010 when the GM comes to him and says the league is investigating, he pulls vitt and GW aside and does what? does he ask them if it's true? does he tell them to stop? no, he tells them to "make sure their ducks are in a row" before they meet with the investigators. of course, both of them proceeded to go in and lie to the investigators.

payton probably was not a major catalyst or driving force behind the bounties, but it is patently obvious to anyone without the blinders on that he knew exactly what was going on all along. any ignorance on his part was willful and/or feigned.

Oh please just stop piling on.

Payton probably was not a major catalyst or driving force behind the bounties, but it is patently obvious to anyone without the blinders on that he knew exactly what was going on all along. any ignorance on his part was willful and/or feigned.

Which is why I said it's still no excuse. If the rumor has some truth to it then you're exactly right. Payton put the blinders on and left everything up to Vitt & GW. Big mistake on his part and doesn't absolve him from guilt. On the email, Orenstein has said it was meant as a joke, but whatever he says doesn't matter. nobody believes him or trusts him outside of possibly Payton. His relationship with Orenstein may have ultimately been one of the main factors Goodell came down so hard on him.

I don't disagree with what you're saying about Payton, but can we agree not to compare this with child molestation cover-up?

I can't speak for others, but I can agree to this. I suspect we can find other points of agreement as well, for instance I would rather Payton sit on my flimsy antic chair rather than Ryan. I would also rather have Payton use my toilet than Andy Reed, presuming I had no plunger in the house.

So Payton left the fox guarding the henhouse.

It's still nonsense. Why would someone risk a 25k to 50k fine for a 5k "bounty"? I swear some of you never played football. The NFC Champnionship game between the saints and vikings would have been 100% the same in my opinion whether the "bounty" program existed or not. D lineman are trying to hit the QB hard enough to take him out. Secondary's job is to hit the receivers hard enough that they drop the ball. You guys act like sally ass baseball players worrying about the PR revelation that "they are actually trying to hurt people when they play defense". Sorry if some of you were clueless and I know everyone is after Rajn but the defense of the Saints was actually pretty chitty. They never played well and really had less illegal hits and fines than the majority of teams. I've skipped plenty of pages of this thread because all rational was thrown out in my eyes along time ago and the mob mentality of "gotcha" they got "caught" took over. The saints deserve what they got because they lied about stopping once the NFL found out about the technicality. It's like Tressel or the other stories in football where it's the cover up and not the actual infraction that gets you in trouble. The saints are getting made an example of because the 1)NFL doesn't want to worry about future litigation from ex-players and 2) the NFL won't put up with teams lying to Goodell. It makes sense but in the end the game is the same. You can try to act like Payton is this evil character but had "bounty-gate" never happened the games themselves probably would have played out the same as they did. Nobody is risking an illegal hit that could cost them 20K+ for 5 to 10K in "bounty" money. This chit has gone over the top and I can't believe some of the nonsense that has occured on this board. It's damn near like the Suh "stomp" thread. Has nobody played line here? Football is a violent game and some of the craziest mofos are really good at it. Normal, well adjusted people aren't typically pro football players. This PR stuff is for the wives and fringe fans to make it more palatable for the masses.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid:

Under the terms of his season-long suspension for his role in New Orleans' bounty program, coach Sean Payton is not allowed to have any contact with the Saints organization or anyone around the NFL, and if he does, must report it to league executive Ray Anderson, a source familiar with the suspension tells ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Thus, when Payton's suspension began Monday, he essentially was cut off from every Saints employee and any coaching friend he has around the league until the day after the 2013 Super Bowl, when the suspension is scheduled to end.

Payton and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis have beach houses about one mile apart from each other in Florida. They cannot, by the NFL's law, say hello to each other on the beach without Anderson being informed of it.

Can the NFL legally bar Payton from even speaking to anyone associated with the league? Goodell seems to be making this CHIPS AHOY! up as he goes along. Just a few weeks ago he said that he could take a job with one of the networks if he wanted to. :shrug:

Edited by rajncajn

Since Brees has not signed his tender, can he work with Payton?

Not sure if that is a serious question, but the answer is no. They cannot have any contact whatsoever until after the Superbowl. The only exception is if Payton wants to call and congratulate him on the birth of his 3rd son or some other (non-NFL related) matter and even then, he has to notify the league office within 24 hours of doing so and tell them the reason for the contact and what was discussed during that contact.

It was a serious question. I am presuming then that Brees is still a member of the team even if he has not signed his contract offer.

Payton is barred from conversing with, by any means, anyone actively affiliated with the NFL. Contract or no contract, Brees would fall into that category.