[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton suspended for a year

BillyBalata

And isn't that really the problem? Whether or not we want to admit it, rajn is right, this is obviously a league-wide problem or there would be no reason to end the Saints 2012 season before it even starts. This action seems to indicate the practice was commonplace and someone had to be sacrificed to get it to stop.

I agree. The league had to do something drastic and Payton is really the only one that mattered.

I agree. The league had to do something drastic and Payton is really the only one that mattered.

Singling out a team and then hammering them for something the entire league does is damn near collusion (yes, had to throw a fantasy term in there). This could set this franchise back a decade (a little extreme, but not much).

I think Goodell is trying to do the same thing that Vegas did in the 90's but trying to make Vegas kid friendly. How's that work out?

If you think this is about anything other than litigation you are missing the boat.

if anything, I thought the draft pick penalty might be stiffer. a 2nd this year and next is roughly equivalent value-wise to a first this year, a little less if anything. so it's about the same as a spygate penalty. I would say in this one area the saints are lucky to have gotten off more lightly than they otherwise might have.

This HAD to happen. I'm not surprised. I'm not shocked. I'm not outraged. And frankly if other teams are doing it (and I suspect its only a small minority that might be) then they should get hammered just as hard if enough evidence comes out like it did here.

This HAD to happen. I'm not surprised. I'm not shocked. I'm not outraged. And frankly if other teams are doing it (and I suspect its only a small minority that might be) then they should get hammered just as hard if enough evidence comes out like it did here.

As soon as the NFL made this public any evidence that may have been out there was quickly destroyed.

OK, I'll admit I'm shocked. This is the NFL equivalent of the death penalty - that franchise just got nuked. Hopefully more details of the back story leak out in the coming months. I think Goodell's gonna need way more than a Pope-mobile should he visit NO.

W.o.w.

As soon as the NFL made this public any evidence that may have been out there was quickly destroyed.

Goodell brought up in his press conference on NFL network that the Saints lied repeatedly to them that they stopped this. maybe instead of the conspiracy against the saints, the other teams actually listened to the NFL when they said to stop? :thinking: Or at least the people in positions of leadership and power arent complicit and participating?

• Like 1

Yep. And that sucks, but that doesn't mean that the Saints shouldn't get busted hard for what could be proved against them.

if anything, I thought the draft pick penalty might be stiffer. a 2nd this year and next is roughly equivalent value-wise to a first this year, a little less if anything. so it's about the same as a spygate penalty. I would say in this one area the saints are lucky to have gotten off more lightly than they otherwise might have.

Not just that but consider the $500,000 team fine. Sean Payton is out 6 and half MILLION, since suspensions are without pay.

but virtually an $8 million (his salary for the season).

how's THAT justified?

This could set this franchise back a decade (a little extreme, but not much).

So Payton can't coach this year, the season's over for the Saints? Let's not get carried away

Goodell brought up in his press conference on NFL network that the Saints lied repeatedly to them that they stopped this. maybe instead of the conspiracy against the saints, the other teams actually listened to the NFL when they said to stop? :thinking: Or at least the people in positions of leadership and power arent complicit and participating?

this

If you think this is about anything other than litigation you are missing the boat.

I don't think so. Its not relevant to existing litigation and I don't think it'd be that pertinent to any forseeable future litigation.

I think that the league has a vested interest in eliminating a practice that would give someone incentive to knock Peyton Manning out of a game, let alone end his season or career. It really applies to all players, but I think that everyone would agree that its better for the league for its players - in particular its marquee players (your typical targets for a bounty) - to remain free from injury.

If you think a small percentage of teams are doing it, then you'd be wrong. I hear Alfred Williams on the other day and he was explaining how the payouts were like peanuts. Players would volunteer at times just to get the big hit. Have you ever listened to Lyle Alzado's interviews. He was blatant about it. Heck, the raiders would advertise it dang near.

This is a league wide issue and damaging a single team so severely is outlandish. I mean it really puts a hurt to that franchise. And remember, these were the NFL darlings just 2 years ago!

This Sucks - kinda harsh if you ask me....Hell Bellicheat didn't even get 1 game.

The Saints infraction was more serious than the Pats. I wonder how many times Saints fans are going to bring up some guy video taping hand signals and compare it to money on the table to injure players.

So Payton can't coach this year, the season's over for the Saints? Let's not get carried away

You don't think those 2 drafts picks could have a lasting impact? You don't think not having your coach part of the draft could have a lasting impact? Get real! This can be HUGE!!

This... First off it's a total cop-out to say that other teams are doing this, when we've not seen anything come out that other teams are (other than unsanctioned player-led or unspoken agreements), so it's silly to say this is a cultural problem, when we don't even have evidence of that...

But you're absolutely right, it would have been one thing if it was jsut a culture of bounties left over from football's more violent days, but this is a matter of insubordination on a matter that the NFL is forced to take very seriously now. You don't want to listen when they tell you to stop, then expect to be the poster child when you risk tarnishing the NFL's name and interests.