[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The evolution of taste and the silliness that comes close behind.

detlef

Wow, a bit touchy aren't we? Cameltosis, I didn't say he was wrong. I was just saying that it's a bit silly to come off "Hey, I'm not into any fancy pants stuff, just give me a plain ol' Burgundy any day."

Sorry, but that's an undeniably funny statement.

I think it's great that SEC loves Burgundy, I do to. But, when I'm just reaching for a good ol' honest bottle of wine because I'm no fancy pants, I'm not drinking Burgundy, that's for sure.

And, SEC, Burgundy is not trendy. Never said it was. I also wasn't questioning your "wine cred". Rather your alleged "I'm just an everyman who's not looking for anything fancy", considering the wines you referenced to illustrate that.

Now, maybe the point you were trying to make is, "I'm so effing rich, I gargle with wines that cost $30-$300 and don't think twice about 'em." And if that's the case, good for you.

I'm not touchy at all but I see why you would say that after rereading my post. The fact is, I have very similar tastes as you do when it comes to wine and beer. I just think your post comes off pompous. I just assumed you were saying he was wrong by referring to "crap" drinks like natty light and folgers. No harm no foul, I just hate when people try and tell other people that they are wrong when it comes to what they like to eat or drink. People like what they like. To introduce them to new things or suggest new things is a different story than to belittle them for a more simple palette

Now music, thats a whole 'nother story. That Gaga stuff is crap!

I'm not touchy at all but I see why you would say that after rereading my post. The fact is, I have very similar tastes as you do when it comes to wine and beer. I just think your post comes off pompous. I just assumed you were saying he was wrong by referring to "crap" drinks like natty light and folgers. No harm no foul, I just hate when people try and tell other people that they are wrong when it comes to what they like to eat or drink. People like what they like. To introduce them to new things or suggest new things is a different story than to belittle them for a more simple palette

Now music, thats a whole 'nother story. That Gaga stuff is crap!

But Natty Light and Folgers are crap. Even people who drink them admit that they don't give a crap and that's why they do. That isn't a character flaw on their part, but it doesn't change the fact that they like crappy beer and/or coffee. I recognize that, given the subjective nature of the topic, this can't be quantified or proven, but c'mon.

And regardless, I wasn't even taking issue with SEC's taste in beer or coffee, but rather laughing at his alleged "everyman" approach to wine that just happened to include a taste for some rather fancy stuff.

ETA: Actually, funny that you mention Gaga. I'm not one of them, but fans of Gaga aren't fans of Gaga because she's good enough and they don't want to waste the money on better music. That is, however, often the case with something like beer. Even among those who think Natty Light is fine, many would likely choose something "fancier" if cost wasn't an issue. Say they were at a party and there was a cooler full of Natty Lights and some high-profile "prestige beer" that they recognized, something like Becks or Heineken. You told them, "help yourself". Many would likely stop and think and then grab a "fancy" beer because they're not paying for it.

Not saying there aren't people who specifically like the taste of Bud Light or something over beers that anyone knowledgable about beer would deem "better", I'm just saying that many people who drink the lowest grade beers and coffee do so, knowing there's better stuff out there but they just don't care about it would rather spend their money on other things.

This is not the case with someone who like Lady Gaga. They actively choose to listen to her over other acts, not because the other acts cost more than they want to spend, but they prefer her regardless of cost. She is their choice at any price. While this might be the case with some beer drinkers and their choice, given that basically all music costs the same, this is going to be the case with basically every single person's choice of music.

So, the argument, Lady Gaga is crap is more baseless than arguing that a certain brand of beer or coffee are.

Edited by detlef

Because of this thread, I pulled out a Lindemans Cuvee Rene 1994 (gueuze). Still wonderful but past its prime. Gonna have to finish off the rest soon.

:nerd: I've only had their lambics, never a gueuze from them. On a somewhat similar topic, and certainly not a sour, perhaps my favorite beer of 2011 was a Liefmann's Cuvee Brut, which is a cherry lambic that uses an old brown as opposed to a gueuze for the base and then gets aged in barrel. Comes in at an elegant 6% and is surprisingly affordable given what it is. I think my 12 pack of 750s set me back $75 wholesale. If Allagash or Ommegang made that exact beer, it would be minimum $10-$14 wholesale. And it might be almost as good.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt bad about my uppity post. So I went out the other night and bought a few Malbecs from Chile to try and bring myself down to the level of the great unwashed.

I picked up a case each of Argentino 2005 Bodega Catena Zapata, 2007 Noemiade Patagonia and a 2007 Mapema. They're pretty tasty. :razz:

I felt bad about my uppity post. So I went out the other night and bought a few Malbecs from Chile to try and bring myself down to the level of the great unwashed.

I picked up a case each of Argentino 2005 Bodega Catena Zapata, 2007 Noemiade Patagonia and a 2007 Mapema. They're pretty tasty. :razz:

:lol:

I meant Argentina... My bad.

I think you had it right the first time. Catena Argentino is their top of the line juice. Just tried it, actually, on my recent trip down there. That was the culmination of my "Land of the Hotties in Tunics" experience there.

This week some of my wine reps illustrated this whole issue I'm talking about perfectly. There is currently a relative glut of well-made and recognizable wines on the market. Additionally, the US is still a somewhat untapped market in terms of wine. That is, there's still plenty of wines that, to those of us who are in the industry, are established and explored, but still represent discoveries to many of our customers. Even those customers who frequent relatively nice restaurants and thus, likely represent a more wine-educated subset of the market.

So, why the hell do some of these guys feel the need to bring me crap made from grapes I've never heard of grown on the Canary Freaking Islands? Especially when it costs like $20 wholesale and is not exactly delicous? For starters, if was, truly delicious, undeniably so, don't you think it would be getting some run by now? Just so I have this straight. Dude right before you just showed me some Chilean Sauv Blanc that's generous, bright, and completely agreeable that will set me back $8 a bottle, but what I really need is a peculiar and obscure wine made from an unpronouncable grape grown on some windswept Island off the coast of Spain that costs $18? A wine that I'm going to have to hand-sell and face the the distinct possiblity that the person whom I talk into buying it is going to say, "Exactly why were you pushing this wine on me?" once they taste it.

Hell, if I want to get jiggy and do something "different", I can always go with the delicous Rorero Arneis that someone else showed me earlier that will also set me back a fair piece less $ wise. You know, so I can be the guy who turned someone on to something they haven't had and yet have it be from an area recognized as a place that wine actually comes from and, by the way, is really tasty?

"i was only able to bring in a few cases of this."

"Great, then someone else will surely appreciate it if I don't take any."

More out of curiosity than anything...

A few years back I was introduced to a Pinot Noir from J Vineyards (Russian River area.) It was EXTREMELY good. I've since had their Pinot Gris and Chardonnay (not sure if they make others) and both have been exceptionally good.

You guys ever heard of them? You might wanna give them a try. If I recall correctly, they werent cheap, $30 to $50 a bottle from the store, but, to me, worth every shilling.

More out of curiosity than anything...

A few years back I was introduced to a Pinot Noir from J Vineyards (Russian River area.) It was EXTREMELY good. I've since had their Pinot Gris and Chardonnay (not sure if they make others) and both have been exceptionally good.

You guys ever heard of them? You might wanna give them a try. If I recall correctly, they werent cheap, $30 to $50 a bottle from the store, but, to me, worth every shilling.

I agree that it is quite good. J started out as a sparkling wine house that was an off-shoot of Jordan and then they started bottling still versions of the grapes used to make their sparkling wine (Pinot and Chard) before branching out into things like Pinot Gris. If I recall correctly, we used to pour the Pinot Gris by the glass for a while a few years back.