[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mikel LeShoure DET RB is being arraigned today for possession

electricrelish

good luck with that. Good attitude to have towards cops. I am sure they are dicks until you need one.

:blink:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Yeah, I think our founding fathers might have put that in there for other reasons besides just protecting the rights of people with a bag of herb in their pocket.

(ETA: and yes, some cops are dicks. That's part of why we have the 4th amendment.)

Edited by delusions of granduer
  • Like 1

good luck with that. Good attitude to have towards cops. I am sure they are dicks until you need one.

Whether cops are dicks or not, it is absolutely the correct attitude to protect your rights. Once your give them your consent to search, it doesn't matter what they were initially suspicious about... anything goes. There's never any good reason to allow this.

Its not unusual for persons in possession of illegal substances to allow the police to search their vehicles.

IIRC, Nate Newton had like 150 lbs of Josh Gordon in garbage bags in the back of his vehicle and he consented to a search. :lol:

Denying a vehicle search will only get you so far. They just arrest you and impound your car and then search it with a warrant. Or, they can make you wait on the side of the road and call in for K9 or get a warrant. It is almost a no win situation if you deny and only makes them more suspicious. Once K9 smells it they then have the right due to reasonable suspicion, I believe.

Denying a vehicle search will only get you so far. They just arrest you and impound your car and then search it with a warrant. Or, they can make you wait on the side of the road and call in for K9 or get a warrant. It is almost a no win situation if you deny and only makes them more suspicious. Once K9 smells it they then have the right due to reasonable suspicion, I believe.

Kind of my point. If you are dealing with a dick cop, then you are probably making a mistake with the attitude of not allowing the search. If you have nothing to hide, let em look. I have gotten out of plenty of tickets in my day by being respectful of the guy that pulled me over. You start with the "you can't search my car" stuff and you will get the book thrown at you in every way possible. Not rightr, but that's the way it is. The more you challenge a cop, the sorrier you will be. If you are up for a battle, then go ahead. However, many instances with cops that go bad are because the person was difficult.

\

That's not true at all, not unless they are rogue cops anyways, in which case they could be potentially jeapardizing their licenses for acting in such a manner. I however one time did have a cop ask to search my vehicle. I was in a secluded location in search of some peace and quiet to do some studying, and that's what I was actually doing when he pulled up beside me. He asked me what I was doing there thinking I might be doing drugs or something I'm sure, and I told him what I was up to. Finding it suspicious he asked me if he could search my vehicle and I told him no. When he asked why I stated because it's my personal property that I own and it's my legal right to not allow him to put his hands on my stuff. To that he admitted and stated something to the effect of "well you are correct but that seems kind of suspect to me." He told me to move on, which I did and that was the end of it.

Now if he had just cause to search the vehicle it's a totally different story.. It's all about just cause. But the thing is that if he has just cause then he doesn't have to ask your permission to begin with, in that case he will simply ask you to step out of your vehicle and conduct the search under the premise of just cause. If he has to ask your permission to search it is because he doesn't have the just cause to search it without your consent. In that case the correct answer is always simply "no."

Edited by Crazysight

If you try to bully pulpit me into putting your hands on my CHIPS AHOY! without having any justifiable reason to do so, then yeah, you are a dick. And there are plenty of cops out there who are. There are plenty of good ones too for that matter, unfortunately you never know which kind is going to approach your window. And I don't need good luck with it btw, as I just wrote I've used that approach in practice before and it did in fact work. Granted the particular cop I spoke to wasn't much of a dick compared to others whom I've seen before, he didn't come to my window yelling and screaming and barking at me the way I've seen other ones do.

However I remember one cop who pulled my buddy over one time when I was in the backseat of a car with him and my brother and somebody else. We had just had dinner at friendlies and were minding out own business. He saw a car full of young guys and thought he'd pull us over and bust our balls. My buddy rolls down his window and this friggin guy stuck his nose right in this one or two inch window crack as soon as it started going down and took in a big long hard inhalation. He then started berating and harassing my friend, telling him that he knew we had drugs and that he's going to get the dogs out to search us etc etc. My buddy respectfully defended himself, told him we weren't doing anything wrong and were just coming from friendlies and told the guy he didn't want him to search the car. When asked what he was pulled over for the cop stated he had a "break light out." When we got back to his house he told his parents (both of whom are respected members of the community, his dad is a nuclear engineer) what had happened. He checked the break lights and they were working perfectly fine. His mom called somebody, I think it was the sheriff, and went up and down on who she spoke with about the way this cop had acted. I imagine or at least hope that this rogue SOB at least got an earful from somebody about his behavior, if not a reprimandation.

Nonetheless asserting your constitutional rights will rarely not work to your favor in life.

Edited by Crazysight

\

That's not true at all, not unless they are rogue cops anyways, in which case they could be potentially jeapardizing their licenses for acting in such a manner. I however one time did have a cop ask to search my vehicle. I was in a secluded location in search of some peace and quiet to do some studying, and that's what I was actually doing when he pulled up beside me. He asked me what I was doing there thinking I might be doing drugs or something I'm sure, and I told him what I was up to. Finding it suspicious he asked me if he could search my vehicle and I told him no. When he asked why I stated because it's my personal property that I own and it's my legal right to not allow him to put his hands on my stuff. To that he admitted and stated something to the effect of "well you are correct but that seems kind of suspect to me." He told me to move on, which I did and that was the end of it.

Now if he had just cause to search the vehicle it's a totally different story.. It's all about just cause. But the thing is that if he has just cause then he doesn't have to ask your permission to begin with, in that case he will simply ask you to step out of your vehicle and conduct the search under the premise of just cause. If he has to ask your permission to search it is because he doesn't have the just cause to search it without your consent. In that case the correct answer is always simply "no."

The bolded part is key, had you not moved along things would have been different. Was he right to tell you to move along? Where you parked somewhere that you shouldn't? Say in a park that was "closed at dusk" like many here are marked.

I get your point, but others are right too. Just saying NO to a search will not always work. It depends on the circumstance and how much they really want to search. It is true that if they have to ask they probably don't have just cause to search in the first place.