[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye Minnesota Vikings

Savage Beatings

The Vikings stadium bill was "essentially" killed last night when it failed to get past one final committee before it would have gone to the floor for a vote. This means it is VERY unlikely that the new stadium bill would get a vote this legislative session, and since the Vikings are already playing this one last season without a lease at the Metrodome, it is only a matter of time now before the Wilfs start entertaining offers from other cities and states.

I can't tell you how heartbroken I am right now. I've been sharing my love of the Vikings with my son, and now we will be robbed of that bonding experience. If/when they move I don't even know if I'll have the heart to continue with fantasy football. What a major kick in the nuts. :nutkick::(

Wow that really sucks. I had been following a discussion elsewhere of all the stadium issues and it sounded like it was a long shot, then things were back on track.

We'll see how quickly another location makes an offer to get them to move. I think we all know LA seems likely, but I still have my doubts about the plans there.

I'll bet something happens to keep them there. LA is a hit mess and don't let anyone's chest thumping convince you otherwise: the guy with the 'best' LA proposal wants a minority stake imam any team for what amounts to a nice discount on the value of that stake. The NFL has flat out said no to that.

Other than that there's no place in SoCal NFL ready outside of San Diego. Is there any other city that could take an NFL team in 15 months? Doubt it.

I'll bet something happens to keep them there. LA is a hit mess and don't let anyone's chest thumping convince you otherwise: the guy with the 'best' LA proposal wants a minority stake imam any team for what amounts to a nice discount on the value of that stake. The NFL has flat out said no to that.

Other than that there's no place in SoCal NFL ready outside of San Diego. Is there any other city that could take an NFL team in 15 months? Doubt it.

It appears that Indianapolis could use an NFL team.

the guy with the 'best' LA proposal wants a minority stake imam any team

He dropped that demand a while ago.

It's more like 4 years, but that's a known factor and not a big hangup. No one is going to spend millions to start moving dirt without a commitment, so both "real" plans that have been submitted include the expectation that teams would play in the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum in the interim.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7088220/los-angeles-nfl-stadium-developer-ed-roski-drops-demand

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7779343/anschutz-entertainment-group-submits-environmental-impact-report-proposed-stadium-los-angeles

What a major kick in the nuts. :nutkick::(

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Good article by Kevin Seifert notes, in a nutshell, that until Wilf applies the screws to the state, nothing is going to get done.

"I truly don't think the Vikings, the Wilf family or the NFL want to move the franchise. But state leaders felt little urgency after the Vikings allowed the NFL's Feb. 15 deadline for relocation applications to pass. As disappointing as it sounds, there aren't many legislative bodies left in this country that will take on controversial long-term issues when they don't absolutely, positively, have to. The Vikings don't have a lease, but they also haven't given themselves an option and have essentially asked state leaders to give them a break for playing by the rules."

I think it's ridiculous for governments to have to be involved in subsidizing stadiums. And I'm about as liberal as they come. Let the owners pay for it, they're not going bankrupt.

The Lions are one of the few teams who financed their stadium. The most recent Income that I found quickly is from 2009, -$2.9 million. (2010 : - $7.7 million)

The Dolphins took over 235+ million of the bonds/debt on their stadium, -$7.7 million.

Larger market teams have done better when financing their own stadiums, the Redskins, for example. But, in a market like Minneapolis with the revenue the Vikings bring in, it could cause the tem to actually lose money.

However, I do agree that the teams should foot most of the bill in one form or another, but you then have to understand that a team who finds a better deal elsewhere should have the right to move without any outrage from the public.

In 2010, the Viqueens had an Income of $3.7 million, they can't afford the debt on the stadium.

Some other interesting 2010 numbers:

Browns -$2.9 million

49ers +1.5 million

Edited by SEC=UGA

I think it's ridiculous for governments to have to be involved in subsidizing stadiums. And I'm about as liberal as they come. Let the owners pay for it, they're not going bankrupt.

Not to mention Goodell holding Superbowls hostage until cities like Atlanta agree to fund a stadium that Blank could clearly afford himself or with investors. Seriously, there was an ice-storm here last time, and the solution is an outdoor stadium? While I'd love an outdoor stadium, there's absolutely no need or reason for the taxpayers to foot it.

If it turns out that the piece of property the city of Atlanta purchased a while back is for them to go ahead with a second stadium that would render the already-adequate Georgia Dome to rubble, some heads are gonna roll.

He dropped that demand a while ago.

It's more like 4 years, but that's a known factor and not a big hangup. No one is going to spend millions to start moving dirt without a commitment, so both "real" plans that have been submitted include the expectation that teams would play in the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum in the interim.

http://espn.go.com/l...ki-drops-demand

http://espn.go.com/l...ium-los-angeles

Well, he was still asking for it as of two weeks ago.

And 'not a big hangup'? :huh: The Houston Oilers played to crowds of 10k for the better part of a full season when it was announced the were moving. You think anyone's going to come out to a team known to be moving in 4 years? Wilf would have to be nuts to live with that attendence, I don't care how much gold is perceived at the end of an LA rainbow. No way they'll do that.

Well, he was still asking for it as of two weeks ago.

And 'not a big hangup'? :huh: The Houston Oilers played to crowds of 10k for the better part of a full season when it was announced the were moving. You think anyone's going to come out to a team known to be moving in 4 years? Wilf would have to be nuts to live with that attendence, I don't care how much gold is perceived at the end of an LA rainbow. No way they'll do that.

Ah, they were both originally asking for ownership, didn't know that. My link above was for the other guy dropping it from his terms, so my 1/2 bad.

My perspective of "not a big hangup" is that they know there isn't anything they can do about it - it takes as long as it takes, there's not much you can do to hurry a project of that size within the budget. Of course they won't play more than 1 year, if even that, in Minnesota - that's why I mentioned the Rose Bowl and Coliseum. They aren't ideal, but they will work as an interim solution.

Too bad the 49ers are already well established. 350 lb fans in goldilocks wigs who love nothing better than to put sausages in their mouths would be welcomed with open arms in San Francisco.

Funny that little Green Bay doesn't seem to have these troubles. Of course, Wisconsin didn't elect a governor like Jesse the Body, either...

Edited by Bronco Billy

Funny that little Green Bay doesn't seem to have these troubles. Of course, Wisconsin didn't elect a governor like Jesse the Body, either...

No...we elected a JackWagon.

I'd love to see Jesse the Body kick the CHIPS AHOY! out of Scottie Walker.

Edited by Ed Hoyle