[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots willing to listen to offer for their backup QBs

Crazysight

He's not so old that this should matter. By the time Brady is done, Mallet would most likely be gone. Bird in hand. If you can cash in on the guy by trading last year's 3rd rounder for this year's 1st or early 2nd? Why not?

Brady turns 35 in early August. One major injury and retirement would immediately become a very possible option. Mallet is under a contract that will keep him with the Pats for the next three seasons for under 1 million each year. It's a terrific contract that makes him a value even as a back-up. His contract alone makes his trade value increase.The guy has great potential and I could easily see him being Brady's heir. Here's Brady's and Mallet's ages side by side:

2012-13: 35/23

2013-14 36/24

2014-15 37/25

2015-16 38/26

2016-17 39/27

I immediately think of how Aaron Rodgers had to wait under Favre in GB. Mallet, assuming he stays on the Pats, will have the first crack at becoming the starter once Brady is gone and will have years of being mentored by Brady to help him. I think New England is the perfect place for Mallet. He still needs to develop and I don't think you could plug him into the starting lineup of an NFL team and expect good results. He's just not a well-developed player yet, but has the potential to be much more than just that (even if Brady got injured, Hoyer would take over not Mallet right now).

I hope they don't trade Mallet, as I have said above. And for all the people wondering why his stock has skyrocketed since one year ago, it's because of these reasons in no particular order:

1. The fantastic contract he is under. Under 1 million/year for the next three years for a QB is a great value.

2. Belichick. Belichick put his faith and trust in Mallet by taking him in the draft, giving him a contract, and keeping him on the roster. Belichick simply drafting a player is a ringing endorsement.

3. The "character concerns" seem not very credible a year after. Some anonymous source claimed he used pot and cocaine in college. After going a year with absolutely no noise about his character, I give Mallet the benefit of the doubt and assume that the "anonymous source" is a just an attention-seeking liar.

4. His talent level. He has more raw talent in his pinky than Colt McCoy has in his entire body. I'm sorry if that hurts Browns fans, but McCoy is garbage.

5. Brady's tutelage. He brings something to the table very few players can---having a year studying under one of the best QBs in the NFL

• Like 1

You keep falsely stating that Mallet was passed over four rounds by Cleveland and drafted in the fourth. He was NOT drafted in the fourth, he was drafted at 3.10 by the Patriots, who had absolutely no need for him but realized his value as the QB who had hands-down the strongest arm in the draft, passed for insane numbers in college and as a guy who fell much further in the draft than anybody expected. So you think it would be a better plan for Cleveland to just tank this year so that it has a shot at Barkley or whoever next year, rather than trading their second pick this year for a guy who would at least give McCoy competition this year? Do you think by tanking this year by not addressing the most important position of them all Holmgren and Heckert would have more job security as opposed to what they would have if they did trade the pick for Mallet?

Sorry, 3rd round. It doesn't change what I'm saying though. You're not even looking at what what I'm saying in this discussion. But I'll say it again...

Why was he not worth a 2nd last year, but he's suddenly worth a first this year in the Browns eyes? Does sitting behind Brady, and being in the Patriots organization make all of his character concerns and his feet made of concrete blocks just disappear? Mallett has done nothing to show that anything has changed, so why should Cleveland's opinion on him change?

Read what the guy above you said, the impression of his character should have changed. He did not fall so far in the draft due to a lack of talent or ability, nor a lack of productivity in college. I don't think it's in the patriots best interest to trade him anyways, unless there is somebody they really want in the draft now.

His final season of college he threw for nearly 4000 yards in just 13 games for Arkansas, with 32 touchdown passes in those 13 games versus only 12 INTs, rating of 163.6. In 2009 he had 30 touchdowns versus only 7 INTs.

Edited by Crazysight

Sorry, 3rd round. It doesn't change what I'm saying though. You're not even looking at what what I'm saying in this discussion. But I'll say it again...

Why was he not worth a 2nd last year, but he's suddenly worth a first this year in the Browns eyes? Does sitting behind Brady, and being in the Patriots organization make all of his character concerns and his feet made of concrete blocks just disappear? Mallett has done nothing to show that anything has changed, so why should Cleveland's opinion on him change?

He wasn't seen hanging out with Jerome Simpson

Read what the guy above you said, the impression of his character should have changed. He did not fall so far in the draft due to a lack of talent or ability, nor a lack of productivity in college. I don't think it's in the patriots best interest to trade him anyways, unless there is somebody they really want in the draft now.

His final season of college he threw for nearly 4000 yards in just 13 games for Arkansas, with 32 touchdown passes in those 13 games versus only 12 INTs, rating of 163.6. In 2009 he had 30 touchdowns versus only 7 INTs.

You're not comprehending what I'm saying here...

4. His talent level. He has more raw talent in his pinky than Colt McCoy has in his entire body. I'm sorry if that hurts Browns fans, but McCoy is garbage.

Based on what? He has a massive advantage with his arm strength. He's a horrible athlete in terms of moving. He's a statue. Both of these guys are flawed in different ways, but I think the statement about Mallett being more talented than Colt McCoy is lunacy. Arm strength yes. As a total athlete, no. McCoy hasn't been given a shot with weapons up to this point. Montario Hardesty, Chris Obanayaa, Mohammed Massaquoi and a rookie Greg Little isn't much to work with.

JaMarcus Russell had more "raw talent" than Drew Brees or Jeff Garcia.

Based on what? He has a massive advantage with his arm strength. He's a horrible athlete in terms of moving. He's a statue. Both of these guys are flawed in different ways, but I think the statement about Mallett being more talented than Colt McCoy is lunacy. Arm strength yes. As a total athlete, no. McCoy hasn't been given a shot with weapons up to this point. Montario Hardesty, Chris Obanayaa, Mohammed Massaquoi and a rookie Greg Little isn't much to work with.

JaMarcus Russell had more "raw talent" than Drew Brees or Jeff Garcia.

McCoy's a game manager that was drafted in the third-round.

McCoy is small @ 6'1". Mallet is prototypical QB size at 6'6".

Can't even compare their arm strength. They are on opposite poles as far as that goes.

Accuracy has to go to Mallet.

McCoy just reeks of being a career backup. I don't see how anyone can think he can be the starting QB for a respectable team.

McCoy's a game manager that was drafted in the third-round.

Can't even compare their arm strength. They are on opposite poles as far as that goes.

McCoy just reeks of being a career backup. I don't see how anyone can think he can be the starting QB for a respectable team.

Mallet is far from the prototype. Maybe the prototype from 10-15 years ago, but not now. He is a statue who has a rocket arm. So as Mallett and McCoy are on opposite ends of the spectrum for arm strength, the same holds true for being an athlete.

And by saying McCoy is a career backup and Mallett is the prototype, that doesn't always hold true. See Jeff Garcia and JaMarcus Russell or Kyle Boller. McCoy was never given a shot with real weapons.

I get that you're a Patriots fan, and you're going to talk up your guys, but in the modern era where Tannehill, who started 19 career games, and a 29 year old are drafted in the first round it's clear to see that QB's are being over drafted. What does it tell you about Mallett when a league that over drafts QB's simply chose to ignore his arm until a team took a shot on him in the third?

McCoy's a game manager

Because........

Brees is 6'0." And?

Not quite. McCoy doesn't have a "rocket arm" but isn't that bad, and "rocket arm" is nice but down the list of what's important in being a good QB FYI.

lol - hardly. How accurate has Mallet been in the NFL?

You seem to have confused the Browns with a respectable team.

I don't see how anyone can dismiss McCoy after a whopping 2 years with jack squat around him, to say nothing of the lockout, his concussion, etc etc etc.

PS everything you say may be true and I'm not saying he'll ever be "elite" but IMO the jury is VERY much out and it's ridiculous to dismiss him at this point. Weeden was a dumb pick IMO.

• Like 1