[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Snake vs. Auction draft

White lightning

Gentleman,

I have been in a 10 man re-draft league with a $300 buy-in for the past 5 years. We have a PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE format. The league is filled with college friends and we place an emphasis on the draft party, busting each others chops, and reducing at least one owner to tears each year. We have been discussing the pros and cons of switching to an auction draft format and I wanted to get some feedback/discussion from you guys. For example:

1) How long does a 10 man auction draft take?

2) How does/can it work when you are missing 1-2 owners?

3) Does it work if you have a couple “blank check” owners (ie guys that never have a chance but love the camaraderie) in the league?

4) What's your overall preference?

I appreciate your responses.

Gentleman,

I have been in a 10 man re-draft league with a $300 buy-in for the past 5 years. We have a PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE format. The league is filled with college friends and we place an emphasis on the draft party, busting each others chops, and reducing at least one owner to tears each year. We have been discussing the pros and cons of switching to an auction draft format and I wanted to get some feedback/discussion from you guys. For example:

1) How long does a 10 man auction draft take?

2) How does/can it work when you are missing 1-2 owners?

3) Does it work if you have a couple “blank check” owners (ie guys that never have a chance but love the camaraderie) in the league?

4) What's your overall preference?

I appreciate your responses.

1. As long as you want - minimum 3 hours, but auctions can really go much longer depending on the auctioneer and how tight (or not) you run it.

2. It can't, really. They can be remote, but they are at a pretty decent disadvantage by not being able to read the room and lose out on 90% of the fun. But you HAVE to have them all there or at least some donkey to draft for them.

3. Yes, but as with all things FF, they eventually find nuts too. Nothing like watching the biggest donkey in the room blow $90 on Westbrook only to also score some obscure RB like Domanic Davis in the dollar derby.

4. Auction by 15 million billion miles. Far more strategy, far more options to be successful, and much, much more fun when done with friends. Ball busting, last minute bidding ($12 for Rivers going once ....... going twice ....... goTHIRTEEN SNICKERSING DOLLARS - haha this never gets old), drunken horseshoes during dollar derby, overbidding your arch enemy by a buck on his homer QB JUST BECAUSE I CAN BITCH - nothing else like it.

Everyone has to be there or you basically have to do it on-line. I've only done one auction and it was a blast. Funny thing is, however, that everyone says auctions separate the men from the boys and I don't know if this is actually the case. I haven't done enough to know for sure, but it seemed almost easier for novices to put together a good team in the auction than in snakes I've been in.

For instance, if you're picking near the end of the round and have a gaper on the horn pick, you know you can leave your sleeper until your comeback pick, knowing he'll be there for you. There's no order in an auction, so another savvy owner can bid against you for that guy who is under the radar for all but the geeks.

Again, I've done way more serpentine drafts than I have auctions, so maybe it's just that I've better figured out how to work it, but, if there's guppies in the water, I know I'm getting out of a normal draft with a stacked team. I'm not so sure in an auction.

fleming/detlef, thanks for the responses. The auction draft seems like the format for us. When I put this league together, I felt like Major Reisman (Lee Marvin) from the Dirty Dozen. I was charged with sifting through society's cast offs and degenerates to create a league of men that would come together with a common goal,,,, degrading and demeaning each other on a weekly basis.Unfortunately, we have deal with more sexual deviants (ie Archer Maggot/Telly Savalas) than the real dirty dozen.

Anyone else?

Edited by White lightning