[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No more Pro Bowl?

buddahj

• 1 month later...

I always thought a good substitute for the pro-bowl would be to have various skill competitions between the players voted into the pro-bowl. You know, like a QB challenge, obstacle courses etc... Playing a meaningless football game is a terrible idea.

Challenge of the Footbal Stars; been there, done that. I think NBC hosted the show. It was really hard to follow because there really was not a "winner" since every got money for their charity. It was all based on points with a WR usually winning it all since the guy had speed for the running events.

I, for one, would like to see it gone; it has become a joke and a half. The money paid use to mean a great deal; however, with the multi-millionare players, Pro-Bowl money amounts to very little these days.

I always thought a good substitute for the pro-bowl would be to have various skill competitions between the players voted into the pro-bowl. You know, like a QB challenge, obstacle courses etc... Playing a meaningless football game is a terrible idea.

agreed.

Apparently some people still watch it, and the NFL makes some money on it, so they're won't get rid of it. I was reading elsewhere about this and somebody mentioned this part of the release

"We look forward to working with the players toward the goal of improving the competitiveness of this season’s game."

and wondered what the two sides would do to make the game more competitive. I offered this idea

---

How about something where the fans vote on individual player efforts which results in a score from 0-100 percent. Then their Pro Bowl bonuses and expenses for the trip are paid based on how much effort they gave. This might even get more fans to watch since Americans seem to love all the voting type shows. You don't put in enough effort, you don't get paid.

Could take a step further and not allow players to return the following year who don't put in enough effort (say 50%).

---

As far as

- half time show - if I don't want to watch those I DVR the game and skip them, or change the channel for 20-30 minutes

- team cheerleader competition with lots a sexy slant - sure that would be great, but aren't there already like a billion places (TV and internet) where you can see better and more explicit action

As long as people watch it, the NFL and the players will make $$. As long as people make money from it, the Pro Bowl isn't going anywhere.

I bet you that at least half the people that bitch about it sucking watch the thing.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the Pro Bowl having some meaning, having some weight toward the Super Bowl and thus played a week before the game....also gives something to watch that weekend as before the move there was just a big gap in the NFL T.V. schedule....

But when marquee players are absent due to their playing in the Super Bowl the following week, it kinda takes some of the fun out of the game... The teams headed to the SB will normally send a hand full of players to the Pro Bowl, but it stinks a wee-bit when the "starters" are absent....

There must be some sort of incentive beyond finances to encourage a better game or a more meaningful game... Why not poll the players, owners, and fans as to what a better incentive would be....like more cap space (economic I know) an additional draft pick...play for a charity...

Maybe fanciful suggestions...ideas nonetheless...

As long as people watch it, the NFL and the players will make $$. As long as people make money from it, the Pro Bowl isn't going anywhere.

I bet you that at least half the people that bitch about it sucking watch the thing.

How else would they know it sucked, word of mouth?

I like the idea of the Pro Bowl having some meaning, having some weight toward the Super Bowl and thus played a week before the game....also gives something to watch that weekend as before the move there was just a big gap in the NFL T.V. schedule....

But when marquee players are absent due to their playing in the Super Bowl the following week, it kinda takes some of the fun out of the game... The teams headed to the SB will normally send a hand full of players to the Pro Bowl, but it stinks a wee-bit when the "starters" are absent....

There must be some sort of incentive beyond finances to encourage a better game or a more meaningful game... Why not poll the players, owners, and fans as to what a better incentive would be....like more cap space (economic I know) an additional draft pick...play for a charity...

Maybe fanciful suggestions...ideas nonetheless...

As far as I know the superbowl contenders do not send their players to the game the week before the superbowl. If they did the coach would be instantly fired.

Preface: i have not watched one second of a Pro Bowl in at least 10, maybe 15 years.That would be since my early 20s.

If we hardcore FF players that are on this board in May are not watching it and they still get good tv ratings, who is watching it besides kids?

Add: I would certainly watch it live for maybe $50 a ticket if I was in Hawaii so I understand the hype at the event, just not the tv.

Instead of giving the Pro Bowl players a vacation to Hawaii to play a meaningless game, how about having them go on mandatory autograph tour of every NFL city? No one gets injured, and even the already injured players could participate. And even though the players would most likely hate it, it would be 100% for the benefit of the fans that support the game. How often to we get the opportunity to receive all-star autographs?

How else would they know it sucked, word of mouth?

Two questions. Here's number one:

You're out of town on a Sunday. You return home on Monday and ask your life companion "Hey what did you do yesterday?" He replies "I watched the Packers game."

You infer that he observed how much of the game?

Two questions. Here's number one:

You're out of town on a Sunday. You return home on Monday and ask your life companion "Hey what did you do yesterday?" He replies "I watched the Packers game."

You infer that he observed how much of the game?

My life companion is not male. Perhaps you confused my lifestyle with your own.

As to your question I would presume the person watched the entirety of the game intently since Packer games are worth watching. If I asked the same question on an exhibition such as the Pro Bowl I might presume the person would say something along the lines of" I hung out in front of the T.V. and caught a bit of the Pro Bowl during commercial breaks in in the Hogan's Hero's Marathon on the classic T.V. channel. From what I saw it blew just like Furd going down on a bath house stranger."

BTW, Robert Crane who played Colonel Hogan was sort of a bon vivant, a gay blade as it were, one of your people.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

I tried to watch some of the pro bowl last year. Lasted maybe 5 minutes.

The complete lack of effort in both lines was pathetic. I understand they don't want to get hurt, so eliminating it altogether is a good idea.

That was how I felt about it too. I watched a couple of snaps during which the D-line and O-line were hugging each other instead of playing and decided to skip it. I do this every year, I most be getting old and forgetful.